Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > USB 1 or 2 on powerbook 17" rev a &b???

USB 1 or 2 on powerbook 17" rev a &b???
PB2K
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2003, 09:47 AM

Fast FireWire 800 and USB 2.0
The PowerBook G4 features FireWire for connecting external hard drives and DV cameras, and USB for connecting graphics tablets, digital cameras, printers and scanners. With more than 30 times the bandwidth of the popular USB 1.0 peripheral standard, FireWire 400 has become the gold standard for high-speed data transfer. And now Apple has upped the ante yet again, effectively doubling data throughput with FireWire 800. The new 17-inch PowerBook G4 has two FireWire ports � one for the hundreds of FireWire 400 peripherals already available, and the other for the coming generation of FireWire 800 peripherals.
Apple.com is a freakin mess. What kind of USB is there on the new powerbooks? You tell me

i think that if the 17" revB powerbook is delivered with 2.0, then the drivers will enable the so-called 1.0 to 2.0
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

Amorya
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2003, 10:01 AM

I don't see what the problem is. It says USB 2, so it's reasonable to assume that it has USB 2!

Amorya
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

PB2K  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2003, 10:23 AM

I made this claim before, the powerbook 17" revA has USB 2.0 but lacks drivers, when I get my hands on the 17" revB drivers, I might get 2.0 on a revA

RooneyX
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2003, 02:02 PM

Originally posted by PB2K:
I made this claim before, the powerbook 17" revA has USB 2.0 but lacks drivers, when I get my hands on the 17" revB drivers, I might get 2.0 on a revA
What if the drivers don't work with Rev As because Apple doesn't like to add functionality to old models in order to entice people to upgrade?

What version OS are the new models running?

PB2K  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2003, 03:05 AM

You know, I am really surpised 10.3 hasn't been released yet, but according to the imacs, ibooks and pmg4's I receive dayly, I would say no higher than 2.6

I have a powerbook 15" install dvd that's 2.6

parsec_kadets
Senior User
Sep 17, 2003, 12:20 PM

Originally posted by PB2K:
What makes you think that? Apple System Profiler offers no details on what sort of USB bus is in there, so I don't see how you can know this. If you are correct, Apple will never release a firmware update for the older machines. Look at the last generation of G4 PowerMacs. Those are confirmed to have USB ports that are crippled by firmware and there's no update in sight.

OT: Has Apple even released a firmware update you could install in OS X? The original Ti PBs had a firmware update, but it only worked in OS 9.

SoBayJake
Forum Regular
Sep 17, 2003, 12:47 PM

According to the 17" tech spec sheet ( http://a240.g.akamai.net/7/240/51/0d...S_09162003.pdf )

The PB comes with "Two USB 2.0 ports at up to 480 Mbps" that would make me think they are hi-speed USB 2.0.

Just saying "USB 2.0" is not sufficient in describing the ports. Through some odd form of wisdom, ALL USB is 2.0. There is "USB 2.0" and "Hi-Speed USB 2.0" Some genius decided that having "USB 1.1" and "USB 2.0" was confusing and made people feel they had inferior ports. Well, that's true...so they cleared it up by added the little "Hi-Speed" tagline. Seems just stupid to me.

Check out http://www.usb.org/info/usb_nomenclature for more info.

-Jake
Too many Apple/Mac products to even bother listing!

bauhaus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 17, 2003, 05:48 PM

I think there is some confusion about USB 2.0. These days, as pointed out by SoBayJake, all USB is 2.0. USB 2.0 HiSpeed is 480Mbs and USB 2.0 FullSpeed is 11Mbs.

Now about enabling the chips...

Even if you have USB 2.0 HiSpeed chips, USB 2.0 HiSpeed has an actual controller too. If you just have the chips without the (physical chip) controller, then you cannot get HiSpeed out of the chips. From the block diagrams on ADC, the old books do not have the controllers, so no amount of firmware will "uncripple" these chips though it is probably true that the chips themselves are USB 2.0 (it's pretty hard to source USB 1.1 chips these days)

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 17, 2003, 07:06 PM

I believe, and I'm probably wrong , that all the 12" and 17" PBs (both rev A and B) have USB 2.0 (480Mb) capabilities. The thing is that USB 2.0 isn't supported in 10.2... that is until 10.2.7, which is shipping with all G5s and the new 12,15, & 17" PBs. MY theory is that if someone were to install 10.2.7 on one of the rev A AlBooks, they would "magically" get USB 2.0 speed. Hell, it may not even install on the rev A machines, but it may work.

Hmmm... maybe I'll try it on my 12 when I get to work tomorrow. We do have a new 17"er waiting for a customer to pick it up... and I DO have to install a memory upgrade in it...
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Forum Links
Forum Rules