Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Running Out of Options - GIMP tanked PB 12''

Running Out of Options - GIMP tanked PB 12''
weishanren
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 20, 2007, 01:01 PM

I'm running out of solutions. A couple of nights ago I installed x11 and Gimp in my 12'' PB (1.33 ghz, 1GB ram). No problems, that night but in the morning when I rebooted my computer it would make it to the blue screen to start OS X. The blue bar would load to full and remain there. I left it for 20 minutes and there was no change. So, having searched the forums I've tried the following steps:

1. Safe Boot - I held shift till the grey screen with the gear, the load took a little longer, but ended up stalling at the same point.
2. I attempted to boot into single user mode (command+s), ran fsck -yf. The first round modified the disk, the second round came back "ok", PB still won't boot.
3. I pulled the install disk and ran disk utility, verify permissions, repair permissions, verify disk, repair disk. I get "reserved fields in the catalog record have incorrect data" followed by "Invalid leaf record count" and finally "1HFS volume repaired" "1 volume could no be repaired"

So, I have files that I put on in the last week that I have not been backed up yet, and I'd like them back. Is there any step that I have skipped? Or, any recommendations in general?

Cheers

Cold Warrior
Oct 20, 2007, 01:03 PM

You could try firewire target disk mode to access the drive and recover the files -- assuming the hard drive isn't completely hosed.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 20, 2007, 02:19 PM

GIMP didn't trash your disk, but fscking may have.

Sounds like it's time to buy a copy of Disk Warrior or Data Rescue II.

weishanren  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 20, 2007, 08:45 PM

Thanks, ColdWarrior. That allowed me to get the files from the few programs I hadn't backed up. Then I just wiped the drive and reinstalled Tiger. Appreciate the help.

Cold Warrior
Oct 20, 2007, 08:49 PM

Glad it worked.

Forum Links
Forum Rules