Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > I lost my Adium list from the desktop. Help.

I lost my Adium list from the desktop. Help.
spork
Mar 9, 2007, 12:56 PM

using an G4 1.2g 12" ibook with an external monitor until the intel machine arrives next week. my list of adium users, which normally sits in the lower corner of my laptop screen got moved off the edge of the desktop during heavy photoshop processing. I re-installed adium and i can turn on the program, but can't find the user list. How can I get it back from off the edge of the desktop?????
thanks for the help
Mini Intel Core Duo 1.66, 1.5ram, super, 17" CRT Cinema Display, Intuos 3 tablet
G4 PB 1ghz 15", 60gb, 256ram, super, Wifi

onlyone-jc
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 9, 2007, 04:15 PM

Press COMMAND and / a few times, and see if brings it back up. This is the key shortcut for toggling the Contact List on and off.

If that doesn't work, try searching for com.adiumX.adiumX.plist in Spotlight. Trash it and restart Adium.

It will reset your general preferences in Adium, but it may get the Contact List back.

Good luck,
onlyone-jc.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Mar 9, 2007, 04:46 PM

you sure it's on the edge of the desktop?
if you open a window to the deskop, is it there? move it to another folder, than back to the finder...

or, you could try changing the screen resolution (in display pref pane), that should move it (but first idea should work)

again, this all assumes that the window IS there...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

philm
Mac Elite
Mar 9, 2007, 04:46 PM

You might want to change the monitor resolution to something else and then back again. If your user list has fallen off the side of the monitor (somehow), the change of resolution forces the OS to recalculate the resize various application windows and it might magically re-appear.

spork  (op)
Mar 9, 2007, 06:30 PM

Hey everyone,
thanks for the tips. After posting I thought of the monitor resize, but it didn't work.
Eventually, dumping the plist worked, although I reinstalled Adium instead of just restarting it. Anyway, back to where I was.
Mac on.
Mini Intel Core Duo 1.66, 1.5ram, super, 17" CRT Cinema Display, Intuos 3 tablet
G4 PB 1ghz 15", 60gb, 256ram, super, Wifi

Artanis
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 15, 2007, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by spork View Post
Hey everyone,
thanks for the tips. After posting I thought of the monitor resize, but it didn't work.
Eventually, dumping the plist worked, although I reinstalled Adium instead of just restarting it. Anyway, back to where I was.
Mac on.
Wow, u went in some trouble man. Usually the contact list is command and /, like it has beed said here. there is no monitor issue or something else.

Forum Links
Forum Rules