Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Toasted my server...here's how:

Toasted my server...here's how:
jclarkv
Forum Regular
Jun 14, 2001, 04:20 PM

I had my MacOS X server v 10.0 up and running just the way I wanted it. I decided to use appletalk to move some video files from my office MacOS X 10.0.3 machine rather than ftp because at least passwords under appletalk can be made secure. I transferred one file nicely (220 MB). I next tried to open the Webserver/Documents folder and I got the eternal spinning rainbow wheel. I waited for 5 minutes, nothing was changing, so I tried to force quit the finder. This resulted in a kernel panic on the office machine. After I rebooted from that I tried to reach the server machine. Nothing. I went to the server room. Everything looked fine but I could no longer initiate an outgoing connection.

I tried restarting, double checking network setting, etc. Nothing seems to be able to get the machine back on the network and I have no idea what to try to fix or even where to look. In the apple system profiler, it says both en0 and en1 are active at 10 MB. I don't want to spend two hours on another install, but I can if I have to.....

Help. I'm not feeling real confident in my server choice right now and had to re-install the pentium II with Win2K in the mean time.

geekstud
Jun 16, 2001, 11:09 PM

Originally posted by jclarkv:
<STRONG>I had my MacOS X server v 10.0 up and running just the way I wanted it. I decided to use appletalk to move some video files from my office MacOS X 10.0.3 machine rather than ftp because at least passwords under appletalk can be made secure. I transferred one file nicely (220 MB). I next tried to open the Webserver/Documents folder and I got the eternal spinning rainbow wheel. I waited for 5 minutes, nothing was changing, so I tried to force quit the finder. This resulted in a kernel panic on the office machine. After I rebooted from that I tried to reach the server machine. Nothing. I went to the server room. Everything looked fine but I could no longer initiate an outgoing connection.

I tried restarting, double checking network setting, etc. Nothing seems to be able to get the machine back on the network and I have no idea what to try to fix or even where to look. In the apple system profiler, it says both en0 and en1 are active at 10 MB. I don't want to spend two hours on another install, but I can if I have to.....

Help. I'm not feeling real confident in my server choice right now and had to re-install the pentium II with Win2K in the mean time.

</STRONG>
Can you ping from the server to the client using IP numbers? Can you ping other clients as well? If that works you could then check pinging with IP names (to test DNS). Work your way up from the most basic network level to see at what point things are failing and post again.

I've had to reinstall many, many systems - Unix boxes, Macs and PCs. It certainly clears out a wide variety of evil. At least it's become faster and easier over the years to do the installs - or is that damning with faint praise? ;-)

-Nathan

geekstud
Jun 16, 2001, 11:10 PM

Darn BACK key / silly user double post - sorry.

[ 06-16-2001: Message edited by: geekstud ]

jclarkv  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 17, 2001, 10:23 AM

Nathan,

Those are excellent suggestions. Thanks! It turns out I can't ping anything except the machine I'm pinging from, regardless of whether I"m using IP number or domain names. When I try to ping the router (150.231.54.67), I don't get a response to that either. Should I be able to get a response to a ping from the router? All of this is showing me how easy life was under MacOS 9 and there's so much about the TCP/IP world I just don't understand. Throw in a firewall about which you have little or no information and it gets ten times as complicated.

Thanks again for the advice.

geekstud
Jun 17, 2001, 11:02 PM

<STRONG>Nathan,

Those are excellent suggestions. Thanks! It turns out I can't ping anything except the machine I'm pinging from, regardless of whether I"m using IP number or domain names. When I try to ping the router (150.231.54.67), I don't get a response to that either. Should I be able to get a response to a ping from the router? All of this is showing me how easy life was under MacOS 9 and there's so much about the TCP/IP world I just don't understand. Throw in a firewall about which you have little or no information and it gets ten times as complicated.

Thanks again for the advice.</STRONG>
Since I know nothing about your physical setup, please pardon simple questions such as: has anything changed in the network cabling setup? Does the network cable in use on the server work if tested on another system? Is there another cable connected to a different network switch/hub/jack available to plug into the server for testing? I recently found a number of network cables at a client that failed when an end was tugged on or placed under gentle stress by being wire-tied to the rack.

Moving past the potential physical layer issues, you should indeed be able to ping your router/gateway. Can you post (or at least check yourself) the output of relevant command line utilities such as "ifconfig -a" and "netstat -rn"? If you're not comfortable working with the command line, at least check out the network values in the System Preferences (Network) GUI and report them if you'd like some (hopefully helpful) feedback. We're looking to confirm that your server IP number, netmask, and router values are indeed configured correctly for you to be able to ping other systems.

Good luck!

-Nathan

jclarkv  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 18, 2001, 06:56 PM

Nathan. You're going to kill me. I just got a note from the network administrator informing me that the router address was not 54.67 but 54.65. Boy do I feel stupid. I'll try that tomorrow.....

Clark

geekstud
Jun 19, 2001, 10:53 PM

<STRONG>Nathan. You're going to kill me. I just got a note from the network administrator informing me that the router address was not 54.67 but 54.65. Boy do I feel stupid. I'll try that tomorrow.....

Clark</STRONG>
You can't just leave us hanging, man! Did it work? If so, how did it ever work as first reported?

Cheers,

-Nathan

jclarkv  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 20, 2001, 07:36 PM

Yup. It worked. The problem first reported was real though. Did a large file transfer via appletalk, which caused something bad. I've seen other reports of it on the Apple support boards. I learned a lot in the process, too.

Thanks for the offer of help.

geekstud
Jun 21, 2001, 01:21 PM

<STRONG>Yup. It worked. The problem first reported was real though. Did a large file transfer via appletalk, which caused something bad. I've seen other reports of it on the Apple support boards. I learned a lot in the process, too.

Thanks for the offer of help.</STRONG>
You're welcome, I guess ;-)

The strange thing is that I don't understand how it could have ever worked, because Mac OS X utilizes Appletalk over TCP/IP, so if that router wasn't correctly configured, and the client and server weren't on the same subnet, there is no way it could hace worked...

-Nathan

jclarkv  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 21, 2001, 01:51 PM

I think I did have the correct router entered the first time. What happened after that is difficult to reconstruct, especially given the fact that I put in the wrong router address after the re-instal.

Forum Links
Forum Rules