Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Tom Cruise / Steven Speilburg..weirdness

Tom Cruise / Steven Speilburg..weirdness
budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Jun 23, 2005, 04:36 PM

Cruise "Tried To Convert Johansson"

Scarlett Johansson pulled out of appearing in the second Mission: Impossible sequel after Tom Cruise tried to convert her to scientology, according to reports. Cruise, who produces the action adventures, met with Johansson ahead of casting for the upcoming Mission: Impossible 3 and took her to one of the controversial religion's headquarters, claims Radarmagazine.Com. A source tells the website, "After two hours of proselytizing, Cruise opened a door to reveal a second room full of upper-level Scientologists who had been waiting to dine with the pair, at which point the cool-headed ingénue politely excused herself." Officially Johansson quit the film because of scheduling conflicts after the film was delayed so Cruise could make War Of The Worlds.

I think his brain is fried....

Spielberg Defends Cruise's Love Declarations

Movie-maker Steven Spielberg has leapt to the defense of newly-engaged superstar Tom Cruise, after weeks of media and public criticism of the actor's over-enthusiastic declarations of love for fiancee Katie Holmes. The 42-year-old film hunk shocked America when he punched the air repeatedly and jumped on Oprah Winfrey's famous sofa, while laughing manically as he shouted, "I'm in love" on the May 23 episode of The Oprah Winfrey Show. Nearly two weeks later he repeated his couch-surfing antics on Jay Leno's Tonight Show, saying, "When I start to think about her, things happen. So, cease talking." Subsequent polls in People and Us Weekly show a majority of readers believe the couple's romance is a publicity stunt to promote their latest films - Cruise's War Of The Worlds and Holmes' Batman Begins. But in an interview with Newsweek magazine, director Spielberg lashed out at claims he and Paramount Pictures were concerned Cruise's public displays of affection would negatively affect the sci-fi epic. Spielberg says, "I was a little upset. I was a little upset (at the media attention). Not at Tom, but at the press for making such a big deal out of a kind of small thing. Tom lost his cool because he was deliriously happy, and now he was being punished for his public display of happiness. What Tom did on Oprah was exactly what Tom did with me when he first told me about Katie Holmes. But the press didn't like the way Tom bared his soul." Cruise proposed to Holmes in the early hours of Friday morning at the Eiffel Tower in Paris, France.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2005, 04:37 PM

"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Jun 23, 2005, 04:38 PM

Man, he has gone wack-o.

budster101  (op)
Baninated
Jun 23, 2005, 04:46 PM

That's not really funny. The picture is, but Cruise held himself together quite well. I saw the video feed on that one and if it were me, I'd have shoved that microphone so far up his butt, he'd be choking on it.

I think Cruise is a freak for joining that cult Scientology, and is crazy for trying to recruit people into it, but hey he got Holmes to do it right? That will last about 9 and one half weeks and then divorce city when she finds out what craziness she'll endure with him and his cult buddies.

One last word on that squirt in the face: That could have been acid or something. not funny. Nope. Ok since it wasn't acit, just water, then it was funny a little bit.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 23, 2005, 04:49 PM

-t

PacHead
Baninated
Jun 23, 2005, 05:05 PM

Speaking of Speilberg, I saw some of "the terminal" yesterday, and it sucked. What a dumb story. That has got to be the worst movie he's ever made. Even great directors can misfire sometimes I assume.

Hopefully the war of the worlds will be better.

And yeah, scientoligists are wackos. They had this segment on Penn & Teller, and it basically seemed like a huge pyramid scheme.

budster101  (op)
Baninated
Jun 23, 2005, 05:09 PM

I enjoyed "Terminal" It's a movie you must watch from beginning to end. It's a movie any commuter would love the first time. I've seen it twice. The first time was a bit strange, and the second was more enjoyable.

I'm looking forward to WOTW, but Tom Cruise is making it more difficult for me to want to see it with his nutty antics. I can't stand this nonsense to promote a movie. These people are way out of touch if they think getting married is going to spark interest in their movies.

I hope it's not like M. Night Shamalamlamalamalama's movie "The Vilage"... all coming attraction.

Mithras
Professional Poster
Jun 23, 2005, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by budster101
That's not really funny. The picture is, but Cruise held himself together quite well. I saw the video feed on that one and if it were me, I'd have shoved that microphone so far up his butt, he'd be choking on it.

I think Cruise is a freak for joining that cult Scientology, and is crazy for trying to recruit people into it, but hey he got Holmes to do it right? That will last about 9 and one half weeks and then divorce city when she finds out what craziness she'll endure with him and his cult buddies.

One last word on that squirt in the face: That could have been acid or something. not funny. Nope. Ok since it wasn't acit, just water, then it was funny a little bit.
Just wanted to seize this opportunity to quote a budster101 post that I agree with 100%. To the best of my knowledge, this is the first time this has happened, so I'd hate to see it go unnoted.

To summarize: Cruise is a lunatic, but actually behaved admirably when he was squirted on. His "romance" is doomed. And those water-squirters are chumps, but maybe kinda funny ones.

budster101  (op)
Baninated
Jun 23, 2005, 05:16 PM

Thanks. I'm much apreciative for that acknowledgement.

Edit:

I just had an interesting twist on this thing. Maybe his people set it up with him, you know to show how "IN CONTROL" he actually is? Nah, they wouldn't STAGE something to get the focus off of his couch dance on Oprah would they? Nahhhhh....

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2005, 05:18 PM

it could've been WMD too

budster101  (op)
Baninated
Jun 23, 2005, 05:21 PM

Fix your signature!

It was WMD! Water of Mass Dousing.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2005, 05:23 PM

to be honest, it looks like a Tom Cruise facial-shot.. really gross but still funny

budster101  (op)
Baninated
Jun 23, 2005, 06:54 PM

OMFG you are right, it looks like...
Are you saying that Tom Cruise is gay? I think Oprah and Stedmen are.

This thread has been quite derailed, but that was the natural course for it from the beginning.
Feel free to let fly.

flabasha
Forum Regular
Jun 23, 2005, 07:28 PM

Yeah, to be honest, I give a ton of credit to Cruise the way he handled it. He just stood there and called the guy out as a jerk. The dude looked surprised and kind of ashamed, then just slunk away.

Which is not to say Cruise isn't a nutball. Just here he wasn't.

budster101  (op)
Baninated
Jun 23, 2005, 07:31 PM

I am now thinking that was a setup from his PR people to change the topic from his couch dance on Oprah over to "oh, how level headed he handled that guy." It doesn't ring true to me, the more I think about it. Nobody is going to handle that situation as cool.

I call BS.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 23, 2005, 07:35 PM

Does anyone here actually *know* any Scientologists? I still don't understand why they get such a bad rap. I find it quite ironic when those of any given faith bash them.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 23, 2005, 07:41 PM

I call BS.
I don't think the cops would have been involved had it been an "inside job".
London - Four members of a camera crew were arrested at the War of the Worlds premiere in London after soaking Tom Cruise with water.

Tom, at the premiere of the film with his fiancée Katie Holmes, was talking to journalists in Leicester Square when he was squirted with water.

After the incident Tom said: "That's incredibly rude. I'm here giving you an interview and you do that, it's incredibly rude."

The actor held the interviewer until security guards arrived, reports BBC online.

Police said the man was part of the four-man freelance camera crew, who were all arrested.

A Channel 4 spokesperson said: "The incident was for a new Channel 4 entertainment show, part of which involves playing comedy pranks on celebrities and on members of the public.

budster101  (op)
Baninated
Jun 23, 2005, 07:49 PM

That's possible, but when paid a lot of money and not charges are filed, we shall see then too maybe?

Hey, great though, if it is true, I'm glad to see he can handle himself so well. I'm not so sure I buy it though and in that case, I'd think he's a stinker.

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Jun 23, 2005, 07:53 PM

The guy is boning Katie Holmes. Life is good for Tom.

budster101  (op)
Baninated
Jun 23, 2005, 07:56 PM

This should begin your thinking process as to why some people bash Scientology.

Here is the web site for Scientology: http://www.scientology.org

Here are some sites of those who would try to convince you it's not all that great...

http://www.scientology-lies.com/whatswrong.html

http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/Secrets/

http://www.scientology-kills.org/

http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/Secrets/TomCruise/
"A new Scientology release form has surfaced that gives the cult the right to hold its members in isolation indefinitely, and absolves it of any responsibility for a member's injury or death as a result -- the "Lisa McPherson clause". (Thanks to Scientology PR spokesperson Linda Simmons Hight for confirming the document's authenticity to Fox News.)"

http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/Sciento...ospection.html
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - -

Judge for yourself.
( Last edited by budster101; Jun 23, 2005 at 08:07 PM. )

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2005, 08:10 PM

Xenu.net is one of the best Scientology sites out there.

Maury
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

budster101  (op)
Baninated
Jun 23, 2005, 08:14 PM

I saw that one as well. Should have posted it. Thanks.

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2005, 08:36 PM

that new speilburg movie with cruise in it....war of the worlds...whatever it is called. anyways they played the trailer before star wars - my wife and i thought the same thing, another crappy speilburg movie with tom cruise. as for him being weird...he isn't any worse then anyone else in hollywood...imho

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

RonnieoftheRose
Jun 23, 2005, 08:37 PM

Judge for yourself.

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2005, 08:37 PM

Remember the days when Tom Cruise was normal?

Me neither.

RonnieoftheRose
Jun 23, 2005, 08:55 PM

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Jun 23, 2005, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by RonnieoftheRose
Yeah... acting would help him be a better actor.

Hugi
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 23, 2005, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by ManOfSteal
Remember the days when Tom Cruise was normal?
NM.
( Last edited by Hugi; Jun 24, 2005 at 04:35 AM. )

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2005, 12:04 AM

Katie Holmes is gone.

If Tom Cruise asked her to shave her head and chant on a street corner as a hari krishna she would and she'd do it with a big smile.

I heard today that Madonna actually gave her daughter, 10, a $10,000K credit card - this is while she proselytizes about the "virtues" of how money cannot buy happiness.

Some of these people make me sick to my stomach.

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2005, 12:06 AM

Besides, when WAS the last time Cruise had a bona fide hit?

A mean, a mega blockbuster?

War of the Worlds is going to do well, but it's not going to be any Titanic and besides, the guy will never get an Oscar. Just look at The Last Samurai movie. What was THAT about? That was just plain bad.

Put a fork in the guy and turn him over. He's done.

vinster
Senior User
Jun 24, 2005, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by Cody Dawg
I think he's mired in mediocrity.

I just saw that movie Collateral on HBO. Jamie Foxx was good but Cruise's character could have been played by any charismatic actor and the film would have turned out exactly the same, IMO.

Other than that, I can't think of a movie he's been in that I enjoyed (I guess the first Mission Impossible was OK). Hoping that War of the Worlds will be entertaining.

I feel he does deserve some credit for being such a well-known actor. He sure doesn't seem to have trouble finding work.
( Last edited by vinster; Jun 24, 2005 at 01:01 AM. )

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 24, 2005, 12:27 AM

I liked The Last Samurai. Yep, I did.

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2005, 12:34 AM

Good. +1 for Tom Cruise as a samurai.

Does he have acting chops? Yes.

I think Tom Cruise would be 100% more likeable if he'd stop with the Scientology crap. The whole thing about aliens living in our bodies, the "tiers" or "levels" that you move up to in Scientology - which also depends on paying money to "study" - all of it is calculated and weird.

All religions are steeped in some sort of mysticism and Scientology is new-age mysticism, I suppose, but don't try to shove it down peoples' throats, that's all.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2005, 12:44 AM

Collateral wasn't a mega blockbuster but it did pretty well in the box office. I thought Tom gave a great performance in that movie.

War of the Worlds is going to do well, but it's not going to be any Titanic
That's good to hear, I might actually enjoy War of the Worlds.

and besides, the guy will never get an Oscar.
Hate to break it to you but Tom already has and Oscar. Won best Actor in 1990 for
'Born on the 4th of July."

Just look at The Last Samurai movie. What was THAT about? That was just plain bad.
I enjoyed that movie. It was no Titanic, that's for sure.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jun 24, 2005, 12:45 AM

I think anyone who joins a cult is nuts

cult
1 : formal religious veneration : WORSHIP
2 : a system of religious beliefs and ritual; also : its body of adherents
3 : a religion regarded as unorthodox or spurious; also : its body of adherents
5 a : great devotion to a person, idea, object, movement, or work (as a film or book); especially : such devotion regarded as a literary or intellectual fad b : a usually small group of people characterized by such devotion

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2005, 12:50 AM

He got an Oscar for that movie?

He had such a bad wig in that movie.

Anyway, I'm sure he's not a bad guy. He's probably very nice. He's from the midwest. Midwesterners, for the most part, are perenially nice.

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Jun 24, 2005, 01:02 AM

Cruise was only nomiated for "Born on the 4th of July." Daniel Day-Lewis won for "My Left Foot"

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2005, 01:59 AM

Doh! You're right. My mistake.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

paul w
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2005, 03:45 AM

hey, Collateral, the Last Samurai and Minority Report were all good flicks for Cruise. AND he somehow managed to nail Penelope Cruz who I love (yet what the hell does that say about her?).

This downward spiral of wierdness is kinda unexpected. I mean I always just kinda assumed they were into Scientology in a kind of bullsh*t superficial way (not because they actually BELIEVED it or anything).

But since this Katie Holmes abduction episode (she was missing for several days, fired her manager and went from being a sort of serious catholic to a scientology follower- yes I read trashy magaizines on the toilet) PLUS Tom Cruise suddenly going on and on about his religion, how it's just awesome...

Maybe the next big post Michael Jackon polemic/trial will be Scinetology.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jun 24, 2005, 04:14 AM

The water squirt was a setup on him by a UK comedy show being filmed at the moment. They did the same thing to Sharon Osbourne, she threw a bucket of water back at them. Now that the Tom Cruise Water Incident has been very highly publicised, Channel 4 are looking into whether to go ahead with the show or to scrap it.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jun 24, 2005, 04:33 AM

I heard today that Madonna actually gave her daughter, 10, a $10,000K credit card - this is while she proselytizes about the "virtues" of how money cannot buy happiness.
A ten million dollar credit card?

Where do I get one of those?

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 24, 2005, 04:38 AM

Cruise has three Oscar nods, Best Actor for Born On The Fourth Of July and Jerry Maguire. And a Best Supporting Actor nod for Magnolia.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Cubeoid
Baninated
Jun 24, 2005, 05:37 AM

He's a good actor

d.fine
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2005, 05:53 AM

He owns a piece of the moon ! Maybe he wants to go live there.

I can't wait to see WOTW...

And yes, that water picture looks like... oh well

edit : anyone have a working link to see the movie? I haven't seen it yet because all the links I find aren't working or don't support the OS or something like that...

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

:XI:
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2005, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by nonhuman
A ten million dollar credit card?

Where do I get one of those?
Madonna.

Ham Sandwich
Jun 24, 2005, 06:01 AM

He totally kicked butt in Magnolia!

[cruise]"Suck on my big, fat sausage!"[/cruise]

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 24, 2005, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by :XI:
Madonna.

-t

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 24, 2005, 09:39 AM

You'd have four people arrested for assault because of a harmless squirt gun prank? You must've been a lonely little kid, man. I used to do that stuff to my brother all the time.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

budster101  (op)
Baninated
Jun 24, 2005, 10:06 AM

Who said "I" would have them arrested? Not me. I said, "I'd shove that microphone up his..."

I did say, they were probably arrested, but, not charged. I think it is a scam portrayed by his PR people to make him seem level headed.

Please try and associate meanings to words when your read them, so you don't look like a foolish person.

When you were a "KID" you would have done this to other kids.

I was walking down the street when I was a kid, and some ADULTS came by and sprayed me with water... I didn't know what to think. It could have been ACID. When I found out it was only water I was relieved but still upset.

An ADULT spraying another ADULT is another story though.

Go and read my post again please.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Here is TOM CRUISE receiving a MEDAL from his CULT leader.

And here's Tom showing off his Glorious Hero of the Scientology Revolution to Save the Planet medal (it's actually called the Freedom Medal of Valor) as he grips the hand of his personal idol, the cult's supreme leader, Commander David Miscavige. In his acceptance speech, Cruise said of Miscavige: "I have never met a more competent, intelligent, tolerant, compassionate being, outside of what I have experienced from LRH."

For what? He didn't really save the world from the aliens did he?

War of the Worlds. Coincidence?

budster101  (op)
Baninated
Jun 24, 2005, 10:07 AM

"Database Error"

DP.

Forum Links
Forum Rules