Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Powerbook dies during sleep and doesnt turn on

Powerbook dies during sleep and doesnt turn on
Chim
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 11, 2005, 02:06 AM

I just got this thing less than a week ago. It has happened twice already. I would close the lid of the computer and it would sleep, indicating signs of the pulsating white LED on the latch button. Then the light will mysteriously go off, and when i open the book again it will no longer turn on! When this happened while charging, the green LED of the charger turned orange when the pulsating led light went off. No matter what i try to do, it won't turn on, unless i physically remove the battery, wait a couple, and then put it back in and turn it back on. any ideas?

EDIT: while plugged in, the powerbook got INCREDIBLY hot on the bottom so i unplugged it. When i hold the bottom to my ear, it sounds like the fan is on and that the computer is spinning somehow. no response from screen or powerbutton.

the caps lock button also turns on and off

Chim  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 11, 2005, 06:01 PM

any takers?

osxisfun
Jul 11, 2005, 06:23 PM

make sure you do not have virex installed.

nsbio
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 11, 2005, 10:27 PM

I came by my local Apple store the other day, and talked to a lady who brougt her week old 15'' Powerbook in for repair for the very same reason. Unfortunately, I did not see what happened later, but I suggest that you contact Apple wih this - they have been pretty good in resolving some unrelated problem with my PB.

Originally Posted by Chim
I just got this thing less than a week ago. It has happened twice already. I would close the lid of the computer and it would sleep, indicating signs of the pulsating white LED on the latch button. Then the light will mysteriously go off, and when i open the book again it will no longer turn on! When this happened while charging, the green LED of the charger turned orange when the pulsating led light went off. No matter what i try to do, it won't turn on, unless i physically remove the battery, wait a couple, and then put it back in and turn it back on. any ideas?

EDIT: while plugged in, the powerbook got INCREDIBLY hot on the bottom so i unplugged it. When i hold the bottom to my ear, it sounds like the fan is on and that the computer is spinning somehow. no response from screen or powerbutton.

the caps lock button also turns on and off

Chim  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 12, 2005, 01:03 PM

talked to apple. Man, I am not feeling right about my powerbook purchase at all. This is powerbook #3. The first one i got had stuck f11 and f12 keys, the second one wobbled like crazy, and now this one almost burned my house down and has this horrible sound whenever it wakes from sleep or is turned on. I'm just going to return it all and wash my hands clean

nsbio
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 12, 2005, 01:46 PM

Did Apple say anything concrete? Your powerbook is still under warranty and there is obviously something not right with it. Apple should be able to figure it out and fix it quickly for you. Give them another chance - PB is an excellent machine - I recently switched from Windows and not looking back again.

talked to apple. Man, I am not feeling right about my powerbook purchase at all. This is powerbook #3. The first one i got had stuck f11 and f12 keys, the second one wobbled like crazy, and now this one almost burned my house down and has this horrible sound whenever it wakes from sleep or is turned on. I'm just going to return it all and wash my hands clean

Chim  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 13, 2005, 05:39 PM

went back and had amazing customer service, they got me another powerbook and hooked me up with a podiumpad. however, this one has the "wobbles" and its another headache all over again.

nsbio
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 13, 2005, 08:27 PM

What exactly are you referring to as "wobbling"? You mean that the legs are not aligned perfectly?

went back and had amazing customer service, they got me another powerbook and hooked me up with a podiumpad. however, this one has the "wobbles" and its another headache all over again.

Chim  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 13, 2005, 11:52 PM

sorry guys, doublepost
( Last edited by Chim; Jul 13, 2005 at 11:54 PM. Reason: doublepost)

Chim  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 13, 2005, 11:54 PM

the top left corner of the powerbook does not touch the desk. I'm on a perfectly flat surface. whenever you type, it rocks back and forth instead of being a solid entity.

stephanielamb
Jul 16, 2005, 03:09 AM

Argh...I am beginning to think I am having the same problem.

What if I didn't get it from the Apple Store, I got it online?

Also...if I have to take this thing back..right now the box and spare cables are 200 miles away. Will I need to take those in too?
And should I print out my e-mail receipt?

*aggravated*

I should be asleep by now, so should the Powerbook!

mhuie
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 16, 2005, 03:38 AM

I have the exact same problem. The unit is ON, no sleep light, but if I press a button I hear it wake up. Nothing on the display.

Normally, I hold the power til it turns off then turn it back on. Recently, it wouldn't turn off, and the other day I fiddled with the power button, battery and every combination of those for 10 minutes to get it to boot up.

The ONLY times i encounter this are when I take my PB to work with me. Never has this happened when it is sleeping on my desk.
MBP 1.83

nsbio
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 16, 2005, 03:57 AM

If resetting the PMU does not help, then take this to the nearest Apple store or, of there isn't one around, call Apple to have them send you a box. This does sound like a hardware issue....
But Apple should fix it promptly and you will have your PB in no time

Originally Posted by mhuie
I have the exact same problem. The unit is ON, no sleep light, but if I press a button I hear it wake up. Nothing on the display.

Normally, I hold the power til it turns off then turn it back on. Recently, it wouldn't turn off, and the other day I fiddled with the power button, battery and every combination of those for 10 minutes to get it to boot up.

The ONLY times i encounter this are when I take my PB to work with me. Never has this happened when it is sleeping on my desk.

nsbio
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 16, 2005, 04:02 AM

To have it fixed, you do not need any accessories - just bring the laptop. It does not matter where you bought it. They do not even need a receipt if the computer was sold recently, because they will see that from its serial number. However, if you want to return the machine for a refund, then you would need everything it came with.
Good luck.

Originally Posted by stephanielamb
Argh...I am beginning to think I am having the same problem.

What if I didn't get it from the Apple Store, I got it online?

Also...if I have to take this thing back..right now the box and spare cables are 200 miles away. Will I need to take those in too?
And should I print out my e-mail receipt?

*aggravated*

I should be asleep by now, so should the Powerbook!

stephanielamb
Jul 16, 2005, 09:45 AM

I feel so stupid now. i got the insomnia and the not wanting to get up taken care of. I kept playing with it last night, rebooting and stuff to try and make it sleep. And finally I gave up, set it on the table I keep it on at night, removed the USB camera card reader (coughcough) and closed the Powerbook.

I guess the reader just kept waking it up and if i let it cycle through enough of that it must've gotten mad at me and shut down.

nsbio
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 16, 2005, 01:01 PM

So you say that the problem is gone? USB devices are supposed to make PB wake up, but I thought it should happen only if you do something with them (plugging/unplugging, clicking the usb mouse buttons etc), but I guess, usb card readers are entirely different anymals.
Anyways, today is Saturday, so you and the PB can both get some much deserved sleep.

stephanielamb
Jul 17, 2005, 12:11 PM

Yeah.. now everything works again. I didn't do anything with the USB card reader to make it wake up the computer.. but it might automatically check for new cards every 10 seconds or so.
Oh well..it's a relief. I haven't had this computer a month yet and i'm afraid i'm going to find something wrong with it and have to send it in!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules