Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > education discounts for University students

education discounts for University students
domymel
Dec 12, 2005, 12:22 PM

Hi Guys,
I just got my admission email: so I am going to start graduate studies next summer. This is exactly the right time for me to get a new PB. Do all schools get the same education prices or do I have to sign up for anything?
What are the education prices? I think I remeber something like 20% off, but I might be wrong on this one.

Any input/feedback/info is welcome.

Cheers,
Dom

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 12, 2005, 12:58 PM

All edu students get the same price. The discount varies from 4 to 10%; go to apple.com/store and click on education (bottom right) for the price of a particular model.

jmgriff
Dec 12, 2005, 01:31 PM

As I recall you used to be able to join the Apple Developer Connection as a student member. One of the perks was a one-time-only additional discount off Apple hardware, more then the usual HE discount I think.

I'm not absolutely sure what the level of discount is, but it is probably worth checking.

http://developer.apple.com/students/sthardware.html

zanyterp
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 12, 2005, 01:46 PM

for ADC student membership ($99), you get 20% off a one-time order. my 15" is $1599 (before shipping & tax).
some people are like slinkys: they don't do much, but are fun to push down stairs.

domymel  (op)
Dec 12, 2005, 02:35 PM

ok. thanks very much. I might consider the adc thing, need to think about it.
cheers,
dom

Ryknow215
Dec 12, 2005, 07:54 PM

You might want to check what kind of "specials" your university book store offers when it comes to Macs. For example, at my university co-op, they run a sale every semester where if you buy a brand new 12" iBook you get a 4 GB iPod for free. You might want to see what they've got going on, it might be worth looking into.
21.5" iMac | OS X 10.6.4 | 3.06 GHz | 4GB DDR3
Motorola Droid | 2.2 Froyo
Playing together nicely!

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Dec 12, 2005, 08:02 PM

Oddly... Apple never checks to see if you`re actually a student. Not that I`ve done that before, because I was a student when I used it, I`m just saying.

Luckily I`m a teacher these days... mmmmm teacher discount...

hickey
Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2005, 08:18 PM

yeah when I've ordered off the apple site using the edu discount, they've never checked for any kind of verification thing. not even an email address.

domymel  (op)
Dec 13, 2005, 06:01 AM

thanks for the book store info. I think I'll wait until I get to my campus and see what's going on.
Let's just hope for a smooth transition regarding the processor (don't want to use the i word, it still hurts

lafiamma
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 13, 2005, 08:18 AM

Heard from two different resellers in Australia that apple is going to end the education pricing scheme for Australian market starting january next year. Not sure if this is true for anywhere else but I have a bad feeling that it could mark an end to cheaper mac machines for students

Rob van dam
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 13, 2005, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by lafiamma
Heard from two different resellers in Australia that apple is going to end the education pricing scheme for Australian market starting january next year. Not sure if this is true for anywhere else but I have a bad feeling that it could mark an end to cheaper mac machines for students

That would be a pity.I know a lot of acquaitances who are currently studying and would love macs.Should this happen i believe its dell for them.
Apple an innovator in a world of Immitators.
And thats the bottom line!!!!!!!!!

Recontech
Forum Regular
Dec 13, 2005, 09:29 AM

I know in the physical store they do check your student ID, I got $200 off my 15" powerbook
Blackhole Forums

Discuss Computers, Technology, Philosophy

lafiamma
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 13, 2005, 12:05 PM

I went down to streetwise to check on a 17" as I am planning to get one. Sad that they don't offer education price scheme. The sales person told me that their discounted price is competitive enough (yeah right) and added that "apple will discontinue their special discount for student soon anyway". Getting a bit worried, I then headed down to compnow to pre-order a 17" and after asking the sales person, he told me that apple is going to discontinue their education price scheme starting january next year. So those who is in Australia, if you are eligible to get a student discount and have been thinking of getting a mac, get down to an apple centre and check if this is the case.

End of education price scheme is no surprise to me. As far as i know, in australia, apple cut back the student warranty from 3 years to 1 year in 2004 and now totally wipe out education price scheme. The only logical reason i could think of is that following intel move, apple might (they must!) price their products at the same price range as windows systems, hence their products are competitive enough as not to give special discount to students. I really hope so.

That's why I am planning to get the last 17" powerbook next week. One reason being my PowerPC-ed applications and another one is that this is the last year I could use my student card.
( Last edited by lafiamma; Dec 13, 2005 at 12:13 PM. )

Rob van dam
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 14, 2005, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by Recontech
I know in the physical store they do check your student ID, I got $200 off my 15" powerbook

yeah thats true. when my brother was going to originally purchase our mac they photocopied his ID and checked the computer if he was legit.

Rob van dam
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 15, 2005, 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by lafiamma
I went down to streetwise to check on a 17" as I am planning to get one. Sad that they don't offer education price scheme. The sales person told me that their discounted price is competitive enough (yeah right) and added that "apple will discontinue their special discount for student soon anyway". Getting a bit worried, I then headed down to compnow to pre-order a 17" and after asking the sales person, he told me that apple is going to discontinue their education price scheme starting january next year. So those who is in Australia, if you are eligible to get a student discount and have been thinking of getting a mac, get down to an apple centre and check if this is the case.

End of education price scheme is no surprise to me. As far as i know, in australia, apple cut back the student warranty from 3 years to 1 year in 2004 and now totally wipe out education price scheme. The only logical reason i could think of is that following intel move, apple might (they must!) price their products at the same price range as windows systems, hence their products are competitive enough as not to give special discount to students. I really hope so.

That's why I am planning to get the last 17" powerbook next week. One reason being my PowerPC-ed applications and another one is that this is the last year I could use my student card.

The word i got from one of the owners of next byte is that from April 28th 2006, EDU pricing will only be available online thru Apple or via a very limited number of Campus stores

Forum Links
Forum Rules