Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > mb and mbp 17's right click feature question

mb and mbp 17's right click feature question
hookem2oo7
Senior User
May 19, 2006, 12:42 AM

what is the likelihood of the trackpad kext being responsible for this new "feature"? after all, the trackpad in my ibook g4 supports 2 finger scrolling, so why would it be any different than the mb/mbp trackpad in terms of supporting the right-click feature?

what i'm getting at is: do you think we'll see this feature added in 10.4.7 for the other 'books that support 2 finger scrolling?

mikelauder
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 19, 2006, 09:25 AM

It didn't happen when the powerbooks were given the two finger scrolling. The earlier versions had the capability but an update never came, so I wouldn't expect to find that you can suddenly do the right click thing after the next update.

The best thing you can do is download and install iScroll2: http://www-users.kawo2.rwth-aachen.d...fazz/iscroll2/

It adds all the functionality of the trackpad via a kernel extension and even has features that the MacBooks don't have: click, two finger click and tap can all be assigned to different mouse buttons plus you get the option of the (buggy) circular scrolling feature.

Chris Grande
Senior User
May 19, 2006, 09:35 AM

I'm guessing since its just a added feature of the 2 finger scrolling trackpad that it will be added in 10.4.7 for atleast the 15" MBPs.

mikelauder
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 19, 2006, 10:23 AM

Aye, but what I was saying is that the two finger scrolling was just a feature of the PowerBook's trackpad - even in the earlier versions - and all that Apple needed to do was enable it in the software. They didn't.

It seems like if something is touted as a hardware feature but is actually just enabled in software Apple don't upgrade to give older computers with the same hardware that feature.

You never know though, maybe it was just an oversight on their part.

Chris Grande
Senior User
May 22, 2006, 12:39 AM

Seems that 10.4.7 brings this to 15" MBPs:
http://discussions.apple.com/message...372833#2372833

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 22, 2006, 02:43 AM

I have a question about this two finger right click thing. AFAIU you put two fingers on the trackpad and then press the button to get a right click. But I have tapping selected and never use the button. If I then tap with two fingers instead of one, does that give me a right click too?

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2006, 11:18 PM

There is a hack floating around the 'net that enables the two-finger tap for right click on all 15" MacBook Pros. It replaces certain system files with the versions from the Darwin 8.6.2 kernel (which the 13" and 17" models use; the 15" made pre-glossy screen/speed bump use 8.6.1 so I'm told).

I've just installed it on my machine (a pre-speed bumb 2.16GHz model), and its really nice. If you activate tap-to-click, then tapping with two fingers will perform a right-click (just as tapping with one finger gives you a regular left click). If you don't use the tap-to-click, then placing two fingers on the pad and tapping the button will activate a right-click.

Very slick.

But, as previous posts have stated, it'll be included in 10.4.7 when its released.

Edit: use the following link at your own risk! Neither MacNN nor I accept any damage you may do to your machine and/or data.
Download from osx86project.org here
( Last edited by Cadaver; May 22, 2006 at 11:29 PM. )

RevEvs
Mac Elite
May 23, 2006, 02:40 AM

As posted earlier, It's coming in 10.4.7
I free'd my mind... now it won't come back.

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 23, 2006, 03:50 AM

Yes, I understand MBPs have to wait for 10.4.7 till we get to use it.

So Apple's implementation supports two finger tapping as well? It's not just some thrid-party hack thing, right?

cybergoober
Mac Elite
May 23, 2006, 09:29 AM

Would LOVE something like that for my Late 2005 PowerBook G4 (with scrolling trackpad).

-Sigh-

mikelauder
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 23, 2006, 09:37 AM

You can do everything bar the two finger tap with iScoll2.

iREZ
Professional Poster
May 23, 2006, 06:31 PM

chalk another for satisfied user for iScroll.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

kitcho
May 24, 2006, 12:30 AM

I acquired iscroll today and all I can say is wow! I have a 2004 powerbook and I thought 2 finger scrolling would never be within my grasp. Well, I was wrong. And with freeware nonetheless. Brilliant.

edit: just tried two finger right clicking! i love it
( Last edited by kitcho; May 24, 2006 at 12:40 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules