Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Anyone else bike to work?

Anyone else bike to work?
Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jun 22, 2006, 12:39 PM

I just got a job this summer about 1.5 miles from where I just moved to. I pulled my 15 speed schwinn out of the shed after it sat there for about 8 years, as I didn't want to ride my huge dual-suspension mountain bike. It's a nice way to wake up in the morning, and it's great to spend some time outside too. Driving's really not an option for me anyways since there's no parking near where I work (on campus). Does anyone else bike to work or is anyone considering biking because of gas prices, etc?

Yose
Senior User
Jun 22, 2006, 01:07 PM

I used to do that, from Leslieville to Yonge & Eglington (For those who know Toronto). But now I work from home (which I'm not liking so much) and I hardly cycle anymore. I pretty much go back and forth from the sailing club.

:/

Edit: I ride a Miyata 1000 roadbike (23" frame, radial tires, from the 1980's) and a Ironhorse Warrior Disc (a gift from SportChek for losing my old bike.
Yose.
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2006, 02:19 PM

My last job I did this - I literally would drive to about 10 miles away from the office
and ride the rest of the way in and back.

I keep a running tally of my mileage and since 1997 I've ridden close to
9000 miles.

I still ride recreationally, my current job has me dependent on a car far
too much to let me ride but I'm riding a Giant TCR2 road bike for road
stuff and a Specialized Epic dual suspension mountain bike for off-road
adventures. My commuter bike is still my trusty old hardtail Mongoose
Surge that I replaced the knobbies with slicks on.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jun 22, 2006, 03:22 PM

Well, I'm still in school, so I'm not sure if it counts, but yeah, I ride my bike everywhere.

The only thing I wish is that there were fewer idiot drivers who think they own the road and yell "SIDEWALK!" at bicyclists even though the city ordinance specifically says you're not supposed to ride on the sidewalk and there are signs everywhere to that effect (and they actually enforce it here, too - I talked to someone once who got a $75 ticket for riding on the sidewalk).

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Gossamer  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 22, 2006, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS
Well, I'm still in school, so I'm not sure if it counts, but yeah, I ride my bike everywhere.

The only thing I wish is that there were fewer idiot drivers who think they own the road and yell "SIDEWALK!" at bicyclists even though the city ordinance specifically says you're not supposed to ride on the sidewalk and there are signs everywhere to that effect (and they actually enforce it here, too - I talked to someone once who got a $75 ticket for riding on the sidewalk).
I'd be scared riding on the road all the time. Luckily, there's a bike trail all the way from my house to work, so all I have to worry about are the intersections.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2006, 04:01 PM

Of all the common stupid-driverisms that I hate, "Get on the sidewalk!" is the worst. Also not giving me right of way at stop signs. But lots of people don't do that for other cars either.

Anyway, I ride pretty much everywhere, though I often use this to go grocery shopping.

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 22, 2006, 04:37 PM

I bike to the metro station for work, plus to and from school. I now bike to the supermarket, too. Cuts down on impulse spending when you have to carry it back, on your back.
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

OreoCookie
Jun 22, 2006, 05:05 PM

I do this every day with few exceptions, 12 km each way. Plus I go mountain biking in the weekend. My five-week-old bike has already close to 800 km on it.

It's a hardtail, a Rabe CSR09 (based on a Cube frame), a great bike. It has all I could wish for and is a huge upgrade from my old Giant Terrago.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jun 22, 2006, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by slugslugslug
Of all the common stupid-driverisms that I hate, "Get on the sidewalk!" is the worst.
The most hilarious thing is when they yell that just as you're passing a sign that says not to use the sidewalk, or when you're on a street that doesn't even have a sidewalk. And yes, I've encountered both of those situations more than once.

Also not giving me right of way at stop signs. But lots of people don't do that for other cars either.
Ah yes, apparently we don't "count" at the four-way stop signs.

The thing that gets me is that later on you'll hear some asshole car driver claiming that bicycles never follow the rules of the road.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 22, 2006, 05:14 PM

I live about 3-4 miles away from work, and bike most of the time on my Trek mountain bike. It's a very easy 10 minutes.

I even used to tuck my sock into my right pant leg, but then I saw the movie "40-Year Old Virgin" and saw a little bit too much of myself, and bought one of those velcro straps to put around my ankle. Spandex or whatever that is that the serious bikers wear is out of the question.

OreoCookie
Jun 22, 2006, 05:34 PM

How about more images of bikes?
What gear do you have?
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

TubaMuffins
Senior User
Jun 22, 2006, 06:36 PM

I live about 3 miles from where I work. I work in downtown minneapolis, so biking is a must as I do not have $13/day for parking, plus everyone knows parking is a bitch. I enjoy it as it wakes me up very quickly and its a very scenic ride (if anyone's familiar with minneapolis, i get to cross the stone arch bridge everyday) I ride a specialized rockhopper (3x8 gears, i only pretend to know bike jargon). Here she is in all her glory ( mine does not have disc brakes however, just your typical clampy kind)

I have a kick-arse wireless speedometer/odometer/clock deal hooked up which is fun, it records your top speed. I also bought these nasty pedals that grab your foot with a death grip, but if you ever skin your shin on it, you will never do it again, its' massive teeth hurt like hell.

hickey
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2006, 08:25 PM

I ride my fixie around the city, but Im gonna look into that philly carshare, Ive seen the cars around and wondered what it was all about.

I'll post pics of the fixie tomrrrow

waxcrash
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2006, 09:09 PM

When the weather is nice and not raining, I ride a sh*ty Trek 800. My route is about 2.5 miles each way - which is fun fighting with cars, buses, and cabs.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jun 22, 2006, 09:27 PM

I used to consistently ride the 12 km to work when the weather was nice and I didn't have early meetings or whatever. These days I've been lazy.

I think I'll start again soon. Maybe next week. Thanks for the kick in the pants.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2006, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by hickey
I ride my fixie around the city, but Im gonna look into that philly carshare, Ive seen the cars around and wondered what it was all about.

I'll post pics of the fixie tomrrrow
I'm always amazed that people would want to ride fixed gear all over hilly cities (and I realize that Philly is nothing compared to, say, SF or Seattle, but I came here from New Orleans, which only has man-made inclines). But one day I'll ride one for more than 20 feet. I've got a road bike with a coaster brake on it, but I only use it within a few blocks of home, because it needs some work to be safe. My other bikes have way too many gears.

Hey hickey, if you decide to go with PhillyCarShare, could you PM me? I think I can get some driving credit for referring someone.

Pics of my bikes over the weekend.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2006, 12:07 AM

Riding a bike in Toronto is suicidal. I used to cycle in London of all places, and felt a lot safer over there. Here drivers just aren't used to cyclists.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2006, 02:27 AM

I would love to bike to work but somehow I don't think I want to make a daily 54 mile bike commute.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2006, 02:59 AM

It would be nice to see a wider adoption of bike lanes ala Germany and Holland in the USA. Heck they even have stoplights for bikes

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Jun 23, 2006, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by Mastrap
Riding a bike in Toronto is suicidal. I used to cycle in London of all places, and felt a lot safer over there. Here drivers just aren't used to cyclists.
Not really.

willed
Professional Poster
Jun 23, 2006, 06:36 AM

I'm doing a LOT of cycling at the moment - limbering up for a 500 mile ride across northern Spain for charity.

It would be awesome if some of you guys felt like donating!

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2006, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
Not really.
In all of my years in London I cannot remember a single cyclist death. In Toronto I can remember three in the last 12 months alone. Now, maybe in London they were not reported, but I suspect that to be unlikely.

When I lived in London, all car drivers routinely check for cycles and motorcycles, simply because so many of them are around. Here they are a small minority of road users, so nobody looks out for them. I still check my mirror for cyclists every time I hang a right, purely our of habit but few of my Canadian born friends do.

So, when taking the bike in TO I assume that absolutely everybody is out to get me. Paranoia is a good way to stay alive on these roads.

alligator
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2006, 07:38 AM

I've always wanted to ride to work. Fresh air, exercise, etc. But what do you guys do about dressing up for work? Not much fun to ride in a suit I expect. I also live 25 miles away (by freeway), so there's no easy way for me to ride there. *SIGH*

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Jun 23, 2006, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by alligator
I've always wanted to ride to work. Fresh air, exercise, etc. But what do you guys do about dressing up for work? Not much fun to ride in a suit I expect. I also live 25 miles away (by freeway), so there's no easy way for me to ride there. *SIGH*
There is a shower at my workplace, and I bring my clothes with me. I think the biggest issue for me is having to get up earlier.

Also, if I need to come into work on the w/e (when few are around) for a few hours sometimes I'll bike in but won't take a shower until I get back home.

Gossamer  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 23, 2006, 08:22 AM

My workplace dress is fairly casual, usually jeans and a button up shirt. Since the ride's usually less than 10 minutes in the morning, and I'm headed to an air-conditioned office, sweat isn't an issue. But going home it's usually quite hot, plus we don't really use the AC in our house (6 college guys trying to save money) so i get pretty hot when I get home. My road bike is a schwinn le tour luxe, 15 speed, I think it's from about 1985. I got it for free in 4th grade and bought a new one at the end of 5th, so it sat in the shed for a long time. I weighed it yesterday for fun, and it was about 31 pounds, I don't even want to weigh my mountain bike. It's brown with blue handlebar wrap and a blue/black seat. I'll try and get some pics up maybe.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Jun 23, 2006, 08:41 AM

I can't imagine something I'd be more incapable of doing in the morning than biking to work.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2006, 08:48 AM

Apple needs to sell one of those Nike+ deals but for bikes.

hickey
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2006, 03:15 PM

Fixed Gear Pics:

No Brakes:

slugslugslug, if I do sign up for phillycarshare I'll let you know and try and get you some credit or something.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2006, 04:34 PM

I have two chainrings on my coaster brake bike, but the outer one is smaller, which means it doesn't do any good as a chainguard. But it looks cool.

alligator
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2006, 06:41 PM

Hmm, if I wasn't afraid of leaving my car 5 miles from work, I'd drive that far and then bike the rest of the way.

runningdog
Forum Regular
Jun 23, 2006, 07:03 PM

i also bike just over a mile from home to the office via the trail at Indian Bend Wash. i only have to cross one intersection the whole way. Right now is the not the best time of year with temps hovering higher and higher with that nasty sun out. At night it is nice so long as the dew point is low.

demograph68
Professional Poster
Jun 23, 2006, 07:04 PM

I once had a job where I did. Getting back home always sucked because it was uphill. Actually felt more like upmountain. In winter you could forget that idea though. Upstate NY really blows.

Mithras
Professional Poster
Jun 24, 2006, 09:43 AM

I ride my bike to work, but it's only 4 blocks, so it's not so impressive.
I do ride it all around the city when running errands or visiting friends, though.

wanderer
Banned
Jun 24, 2006, 10:36 AM

Yep. On this:

Reviews here:

http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/2002_Har...ct_85077.shtml

It's about 2.8miles each way according to google earth, but I usually explore a bit or stop for errands so I'm usually biking around 6-8 miles per day during the work week. Traffic sucks, but I have a helmet and I'm pretty careful.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2006, 10:44 AM

A stock photo of my roadie, an '04 Bianchi Veloce:

Not super-light, but it goes faster than any other bike I've owned, and I <3 Campy shifting.

The touring bike I made by hand.

I've had that one over a year and a half and still haven't taken or even planned a tour. It's a great commuting/shopping bike though, especially since in addition to the pictured pannier, I have The Bug from Arkel: It's a pannier that very quickly converts into a backpack. Highly recommended for students.

Interestingly enough, both pics show the bike with the wrong pair of pedals. I use Crank Brothers Candy SLs on the Bianchi and Mallet Cs on the Bilenky.

hickey
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2006, 11:32 AM

how much was your Bianchi?

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2006, 08:24 PM

yup 30 miles a day on this, so far about 800 miles this summer

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

dreamryche
Forum Regular
Jun 24, 2006, 09:22 PM

I did until a couple weeks ago when my Trek 4300 got stolen. I'm getting my replacement on Monday, though, so I'll be right back to the cyclocommuting.

I'm thinking of overhauling a disused Mongoose hardtail as a year-round commuter, with a rigid fork and either drop bars or flat bars with bar ends.
( Last edited by dreamryche; Jun 24, 2006 at 09:28 PM. )

wanderer
Banned
Jun 24, 2006, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by G4ME
yup 30 miles a day on this, so far about 800 miles this summer

Just beautiful. I'd love a vintage honda like that. How much did you pick it up for? I'm STILL trying to get my czech scooter/motorcycle to work correctly. God I hate czech carbs. If I can't finish it by fall I'm selling hte thing and buying a honda S65 off ebay.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2006, 09:29 AM

Um, can we keep it sort of on topic here? I've got nothing against folks being motorcycle enthusiasts, but we were trying to have a nice conversation about bicycles in this thread.

hickey: it was $1600, since I bought it new from a retailer. This after several years of helping people fix up bikes with used parts and selling dozens of under-$100 bikes. But when I thought about the money amortized over the many years I intend to own the thing, it didn't seem like an outrageous price, especially since off-the-shelf Campy-equipped bicycles aren't that common in the U.S. Bianchi's Eros has been a good value for the past few years, with full Campy drivetrain for $1200.

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 25, 2006, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by wanderer
Just beautiful. I'd love a vintage honda like that. How much did you pick it up for? I'm STILL trying to get my czech scooter/motorcycle to work correctly. God I hate czech carbs. If I can't finish it by fall I'm selling hte thing and buying a honda S65 off ebay.
I bought it from my uncle for 400 with the promise that when I want something bigger I sell it back to him for the same price, as he wants to fully restore it. I kind of already want something bigger but I will keep her for the summer and see how many miles I can put on her. So far up to 900 in about a month.

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

thestig
Banned
Jun 25, 2006, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by G4ME
I bought it from my uncle for 400 with the promise that when I want something bigger I sell it back to him for the same price, as he wants to fully restore it. I kind of already want something bigger but I will keep her for the summer and see how many miles I can put on her. So far up to 900 in about a month.
Sweet. I just got my Tatran shop manual today.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2006, 10:37 PM

Does anyone ride their bike with a Mac on a daily basis? What do you use, messenger bag, backpack, other? My bike with the convertible pannier is my usual school bike, but I'm still considering getting a MacBook and don't really trust it to withstand the shock of a rack. It'd take way less of a beating on my back/shoulder, but I hate to lose the pannier setup.

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Jun 25, 2006, 11:25 PM

My trip to work is almost 1.4 miles, and I walk it whenever I can.

hickey
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2006, 09:45 AM

I have riden with my powerbook, I used a backpack that I had with a padded laptop section. It seemed to do fine, but it was a short jawnt..or is it jaunt?

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2006, 10:54 AM

It's "jaunt". Since you live in Philly, you're just getting confused with "jawn", which, for the benefit of non-locals, seems to be Philly slang for "thingy".

I'm sure a laptop could handle several years of daily riding in a backpack, especially a padded one, since the rider's body, especially knees, are excellent suspension, and laptops are designed with some shock resistance in mind. In general, I prefer using the pannier to keep the sweat off my back and weight off my shoulders. That's why I'm one of those folks complaining that the MacBook is heavy.

I'm thinking about a sleeve with a shoulder strap to carry just the computer on my back while riding, with everything else on the bike rack, then shove the sleeve into the bag upon dismount. I've heard of panniers with suspended laptop pockets, but I can't imagine they do better than knees for shock absorption.

hickey
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2006, 11:39 AM

yeah i dont particularly llike riding with a backpack, because of the sweat that accumulates do the pack.

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2006, 12:10 PM

The roadie:
http://pod.ath.cx/tcr2.jpg

The dual boinger:
http://pod.ath.cx/epic.jpg

I definetely need new pictures of the rides though.

Monique
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2006, 12:17 PM

Good for you keep it up. I wish I could be like that, then I would be skinny. In a sense I envy people like you guy that love to exercise and eat carrot sticks.

Cipher13
Jun 28, 2006, 06:01 PM

I'd love to bike to work, but it simply isn't doable.

6am starts 45 K's from home (that'd mean riding in temperatures of about 1 degree celsius, lately) - no chance.

Forum Links
Forum Rules