Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > How Often Does your iPhone Freeze?

How Often Does your iPhone Freeze?
MSME
Jul 22, 2007, 12:19 PM

Sorry if this topic has been posted before . . . I haven't seen too much discussion on this in these forums or elsewhere.

My question is pretty simple. How often does your iPhone freeze up (requiring a hard-reset)? Also, is it something to be concerned about? I've only experienced it once, when receiving a call. Honestly, I would expect the device to freeze occasionally. My previous phone, a Samsung Blackjack, would completely lock up once a week or so. I'm very curious how many other iPhone users have experienced this, and how often.
Black MacBook C2D 2.0 Ghz, stock, Powerbook 15" 1Ghz (Al), iPhone 8 GB

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 22, 2007, 12:38 PM

I've never had it freeze up, but I do have Safari quit on me pretty regularly.

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Jul 22, 2007, 03:11 PM

Mine froze a lot when I was doing e-mail stuff (i messed up the POP settings for Gmail, so the iPhone loaded over 250 messages >.<). Well, not exactly froze, it just lagged so much that it may as well have froze.
( Last edited by butterfly0fdoom; Jul 22, 2007 at 03:57 PM. )
MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.16 (Black)
iPod classic 160GB
iPhone 8GB

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 22, 2007, 03:47 PM

Mine has froze once.

DKeithA
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 22, 2007, 03:49 PM

One freeze here so far - it was while Mail was downloading.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 22, 2007, 04:03 PM

Mine froze once (trying to load the hot babes thread). I've had Safari and Google Maps crash on me on a few occasions.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Jul 22, 2007, 06:03 PM

Well, I've been using safari a lot in the past hour and it's crashed/quit on me a lot. Software update soon, please? Although I do like the keyboard. It's so awesome and I'm doing fine two-handed (trust really is key here.
MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.16 (Black)
iPod classic 160GB
iPhone 8GB

mikemako
Senior User
Jul 22, 2007, 07:31 PM

My iPhone hasn't frozen yet and I've been using it heavily since launch day. My main problem is with Safari. Typing in Safari sometimes gets sluggish, and Safari crashes pretty often.
My Computer: MacBook Pro 2GHz, Mac OS X 10.4.5

LSK6453
Forum Regular
Jul 22, 2007, 08:24 PM

Mine locked up about 5 times over the last week or so. The Apple store replaced the unit today, which now renders attachments and shows usage.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 22, 2007, 08:41 PM

Yours didn't render attachments before? Did you try restoring the software?

Chris Grande
Senior User
Jul 22, 2007, 09:20 PM

I've have certain sites freeze mine.
( Last edited by Chris Grande; Jul 23, 2007 at 12:19 AM. )

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Jul 22, 2007, 10:58 PM

Mine froze when I was getting a call, it wouldn't let me answer and then just stayed on that screen for about 30 seconds, no buttons would work (home/sleep/wake), so I held down home and sleep until it reset, and then all was well again.

MSME  (op)
Jul 22, 2007, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by Nodnarb View Post
Mine froze when I was getting a call, it wouldn't let me answer and then just stayed on that screen for about 30 seconds, no buttons would work (home/sleep/wake), so I held down home and sleep until it reset, and then all was well again.
That is exactly what happend when mine froze. I was in the Phone app, adding a contact, then hit the 'Home' button. Just as the phone was doing its cool transition back to the home screen, I received a call, and the phone completely locked up. It's been my only issue so far, asidde from visual voicemail occasionally not working.
Black MacBook C2D 2.0 Ghz, stock, Powerbook 15" 1Ghz (Al), iPhone 8 GB

vln2
Jul 22, 2007, 11:57 PM

Mine froze only once, next day after purchase on YouTube. No problems since then. I think it is prone to potential time outs with Edge so I simply do not use it except for email. Works fine on WiFi.

Here is link to article about potential WiFi hack which could take control of the iPhone. Hopefully Apply will patch that soon:
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/23/te...gy&oref=slogin

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2007, 06:27 AM

Hard freezes... Just a couple.

iPod app crashes... Repeatable bug. I can't really use Safari while listening to music.

Safari crashes... Often.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

k2director
Senior User
Jul 24, 2007, 02:56 AM

Never had a freeze, and I've been using it regularly since June 31.

Have had the iPod app crash once or twice, and Safari has crashed a half dozen times or so (but not in the last several days, despite pretty frequent use).

Overall, the phone feels very stable.

SShoot3r
Jul 31, 2007, 02:47 AM

Anyone ever encounter when you press the sleep wake button that it wakes up, then goes into sleep in an instant? And when you press the button again it shows up and goes back to sleep, and finally works fine after the initial two attempts? This only happens like once a week or so and is strange.

DKeithA
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 31, 2007, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by SShoot3r View Post
Anyone ever encounter when you press the sleep wake button that it wakes up, then goes into sleep in an instant? And when you press the button again it shows up and goes back to sleep, and finally works fine after the initial two attempts? This only happens like once a week or so and is strange.
Yes, I can't reproduce the issue you have described, but I have experienced it.

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 31, 2007, 02:24 PM

I've only had mine freeze once, and I've used it heavily for a full month.

alex_kac
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 31, 2007, 02:26 PM

Had it freeze once the first week. Never since. Used pretty heavily in Safari.

loveanh
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 1, 2007, 01:12 AM

Mine has been turning off by itself at least 4 times within the last two weeks and it freezes a lot too.

My phone has a tendency to open a new menu after I wake it from the sleep mode. Before I put the phone in my case I'm at the home screen and when I slide the arrow to unlock the phone, it's at a different menu and not at the home screen.

Thinking about exchanging the phone, will I have a hard time and should I bring everything back?

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Aug 1, 2007, 01:17 AM

Kind of OT, but I didn't want to start a whole new post for it.

Tonight, at 7:09, I glanced at my phone and it said 11:09. I put it to sleep a few times, and the time was still 4 hours off. After about 5 minutes I turned it off and on, and all was well again, but this just seemed so strange to me.

Has this happened to anyone else, or does anyone have an explanation as to what happened?

Chris Grande
Senior User
Aug 2, 2007, 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by SShoot3r View Post
I've had this happen also.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2007, 12:25 PM

The ipod quits playing while I browse the web, safari quits whenever it feels like, and once it froze up while I was 5 minutes into watching a simpsons video. The screen was unresponsive, the buttons did nothing, and when I tried calling it from my verizon phone it rang 3 times before going to voicemail. It took me 20 minutes to reboot it by holding lock and home because I was busy and had it in my pocket.

So far with 1.0.1 I haven't had any problems, but time will tell.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 2, 2007, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Nodnarb View Post
Kind of OT, but I didn't want to start a whole new post for it.

Tonight, at 7:09, I glanced at my phone and it said 11:09. I put it to sleep a few times, and the time was still 4 hours off. After about 5 minutes I turned it off and on, and all was well again, but this just seemed so strange to me.

Has this happened to anyone else, or does anyone have an explanation as to what happened?
That specific thing didn't happen to me, but something kind of similar. Both mine and my dad's iPhones' World Clock was off by 2 hours. This was a couple days after purchase. Both of ours were off for a good 2-3 days, even after reboots and resets. Then, I happen to check it out again and it was the correct time. I asked my dad and his was too. Not sure what that was all about, but it hasn't been off since.

loveanh
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 2, 2007, 01:29 PM

Just took mine to the Apple store, they offered me a free loaner while they service my current phone. I just hope when or if they open the phone they do not scratch it. I have kept it in pristine condition.

omsgarcia
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 25, 2007, 03:41 AM

Mine froze more than ten times today (that's not even an exaggeration. I am beginning to lose my temper over this problem. This is a lawsuit waiting to happen. Do they think people buy a phone for novelty? I use my phone a LOT each day for my work and I can't afford for it to freeze. Sooooooo frustrating!!! I will take it to the Apple store tomorrow.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 25, 2007, 11:12 AM

Mine has never frozen.

omsgarcia, I think your phone needs to go to service.

astro43
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 3, 2007, 05:45 PM

Mine freezes up almost daily, and sometimes several times daily. Yesterday morning, I was following my wife on the freeway when a highway patrol flashed me with his lights. He passed and took off for my wife who was about 1/4 mile ahead. I grabbed the iphone to warn her and it froze. She got the ticket. This wouldn't have happened with my Nokia.

I use it as an alarm clock and it likes to freeze during the alarm operation. In fact, it seems to freeze all the time no matter what I'm doing. This is quite amusing, as I'm a PC guy and this reminds me of all those MAC commercials with the MAC guy making fun of the PC guy.

It would seem the iProducts aren't all their cracked up to be. Nice going, Steve Jobs.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Sep 3, 2007, 08:51 PM

Mine freezes often - maybe 10 times since I've had it. But it's been happening more recently.

My father has an iPhone too and his freezes at about the same frequency. It really sucks.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

AC Rempt
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 3, 2007, 10:01 PM

If your phones freeze as frequently as some of you are saying they do, go to Apple or AT&T and get a new phone. My phone has frozen once or twice, but considering how much I use it, that's pretty damn good. Restarting does the trick, and it seems to benefit the phone to restart once in awhile anyway, just like it does my Macs.

It makes more sense to take the phones in than bang your heads against the wall and say they suck.

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2007, 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by MSME
How often does your iPhone freeze up (requiring a hard-reset)?
More than I'd admit anywhere but on a forum full of Mac users.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 4, 2007, 03:22 AM

Does it freeze during use, or does it just refuse to wake up?

jokell82
Professional Poster
Sep 4, 2007, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by icruise View Post
Does it freeze during use, or does it just refuse to wake up?
During use for me. Although sometimes I go to wake it up and the slider to do so wont move and I have to reset it.

-Q-
Sep 4, 2007, 06:41 AM

Aye, if you're getting freezes, definitely see about getting a replacement. I've had my phone freeze on me twice, and it hasn't done that after the two updates.

sanford
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 4, 2007, 10:14 AM

Never. Safari quits like everyone else says, but i've never had the iPhone freeze. I wouldn't sweat it. Every Nokia I ever owned, expensive and throwaway, would freeze or reset itself once a week.

Originally Posted by MSME View Post
Sorry if this topic has been posted before . . . I haven't seen too much discussion on this in these forums or elsewhere.

My question is pretty simple. How often does your iPhone freeze up (requiring a hard-reset)? Also, is it something to be concerned about? I've only experienced it once, when receiving a call. Honestly, I would expect the device to freeze occasionally. My previous phone, a Samsung Blackjack, would completely lock up once a week or so. I'm very curious how many other iPhone users have experienced this, and how often.

CadetStimpy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 5, 2007, 12:17 PM

Mine's never frozen. Use Safari, Mail, all day long - not once. Most stable phone I've ever used.
Scott :)

mi_canuck
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 5, 2007, 01:10 PM

in one month of ownership... only had 1 freeze... easily rectified with the two finger salute... otherwise stable as a rock.... most stable phone i've ever owned and definite by far the best phone i've ever owned!

cheers

Rock&&House
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 19, 2008, 07:22 PM

My iPhone has never frozen before. I know why most of people's iPhones freeze. The problem is that people do not turn it off when you go to sleep. The iPhone will reset itself while you are sleeping and you will never have any problems on your iPhone freezing. Hope I helped!

OOHH!!! I know something about the iPhone that other people don't.. If you do not want your iPhone in the Cingular/AT&T service, the iPhone will cost $150 more but you can place the iPhone in Metro PCS, T-Mobile, or whichever service you prefer.. hope that helped out, too..

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE MY iPhone!

jokell82
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2008, 10:11 PM

The phone resets itself while you sleep. Because it knows when you sleep. Because it's sentient. And will one day form Skynet.

I thought there was an age minimum for this forum...

Forum Links
Forum Rules