Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > A little scared for my MBP

A little scared for my MBP
PaperNotes
Nov 13, 2007, 01:35 PM

My MBP is a 2.16Ghz model with Radeon X1600 256MB clocked up to the highest speed using Omega Drivers. My Mac use is fairly normal but I boot into Windows to play Call of Duty 4, Gears of War, DiRT, etc all the latest games. Typically I run the games at 720p with all details cranked up (sometimes all the way high and sometimes a mix of high and normal).

The fans blow quite heavily as you can imagine. Am I right by saying that Intel's mobo chipset will automatically shut down if the temps get too high or will my MBP keep burning away until something pops?

DKeithA
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 13, 2007, 01:39 PM

Yes, it will shut down if it gets too hot. The fans blowing hard and loud is a good indication that the machine is functioning properly under that type of use. I understand you wanting to take care of your machine, but I think you are ok.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 13, 2007, 01:40 PM

Yes, it will shut down, but of course you don't want it to get that point. Can you measure the temperature in Windows to see what level it runs at?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

PaperNotes  (op)
Nov 13, 2007, 01:40 PM

Cool. I mean hot!

PaperNotes  (op)
Nov 13, 2007, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Yes, it will shut down, but of course you don't want it to get that point. Can you measure the temperature in Windows to see what level it runs at?
What can I use to measure temps in Windows XP?

silver
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 13, 2007, 03:02 PM

@PaperNotes you can use Speedfan on XP. Im in OS X right now so I cant say what my temps are, but lets just say that while gaming in XP my W,A,S, and D keys are very hot to the touch. Just bought Crysis so I'll chime in later this afternoon after I play a while.

Cheers
 MBP 17" 2.16ghz, ATI x1600 256, 100GBHD, 2GB ram, 23"AppleLCD

PaperNotes  (op)
Nov 13, 2007, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by silver View Post
@PaperNotes you can use Speedfan on XP. Im in OS X right now so I cant say what my temps are, but lets just say that while gaming in XP my W,A,S, and D keys are very hot to the touch.
Thanks I'll check it out. I recommend the XBox 360 controller for Windows though. For games that support it natively (Pro Evolution, DiRT, Gears of War) I would not swap it for keyboard control

silver
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 13, 2007, 03:27 PM

@PaperNotes, just wondering so I would need an adapter for the 360 controller? Actually I should be asking if you had any experience with a PS2 controller hooked up to a PC/Mac as that's the only controllers I've got? I've seen the joy adapter but would love to here any recommendations.

Sorry for not staying on topic.

Cheers

PaperNotes  (op)
Nov 13, 2007, 03:33 PM

@PaperNotes, just wondering so I would need an adapter for the 360 controller?
The 360 controller for Windows comes with a USB adapter in the box. I thought about PS2/3 controllers etc but when I used the 360 controller the vibration and analogue shoulder buttons are better than the PS2 controller for shooting and driving games. It's the best gamepad I ever used. I can't believe it's Microsoft. I used to have the Sidewinder gamepad with the same 6 axis motion sensor as the PS3 gamepad. That was the worst controller. The D-pad didn't even face directly ahead.

Remember that many of these new games have native support for the 360 controller. That means they detect the controller and give useful onscreen tips on how to use the controller with the games. Color coding menu selections on screen too.

silver
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 13, 2007, 03:57 PM

Thanks PaperNotes, I guess I'll be heading over to walmart to get the controller. One more thing wired or wireless? Wired version is about $30 and the wireless is about $45. Do you know if the controllers bought separately come with the USB adapter?

Thanks for your advice, oh by the way last night I was playing HellGate London and noticed that my temp for my enclosure reading 111f, fans where blowing but I didn't mind it's gaming ya know and my MBP just kept soldiering on.

Cheers

PaperNotes  (op)
Nov 13, 2007, 04:00 PM

Thanks PaperNotes, I guess I'll be heading over to walmart to get the controller. One more thing wired or wireless? Wired version is about $30 and the wireless is about $45. Do you know if the controllers bought separately come with the USB adapter?
Wired. The wireless version uses AA batteries and ugly RF radio which I hate. If it was rechargable lithium and Blueeooth I would have bought it. The wired controller has a very long cable so that's good news. USB adapter isn't available separately anywhere I know.

i'll report my temps tomorrow after I get Pro Street.

PaperNotes  (op)
Nov 13, 2007, 05:12 PM

I have no idea if SpeedFan is reporting this accurately. After 30 mins of PES2008 and Gears of War, SpeedFan reports HDD at 40C and CPUs at 57C. Keyboard is warm but not hot. GPU temp unknown. BTW, I install my games on an external HDD so that probably keeps temps down a bit because my internal drive is resting.
( Last edited by PaperNotes; Nov 13, 2007 at 05:26 PM. )

silver
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 13, 2007, 06:28 PM

Yes I've experienced that as well. If Im working on a project and the project files are on an external my MBP stays just warm but if I put said project back on the internal drive things really start to heat up.

I can't wait till I'm done running my sim then, it's all about gaming. Just wondering what games have you been running on your MBP? For me it's been Bioshock, Madden, and Hellgate. I just got Crysis so plan on playing that on my free time.

Cheers

PaperNotes  (op)
Nov 13, 2007, 06:35 PM

I didn't game for 4-5 years because I didn't have a PC or console so coming back to gaming has been an eye opener. Imagine going from the original Colin McRae Rally to DiRT in one step. Big difference.

I have been playing Medal of Honor Airborne, DiRT, Need For Speed : Most Wanted and BioShock. On the weekend I got Call of Duty 4 and Gears of War. This week I'm going to add Crysis, Pro Street, Kane and Lynch, Assassin's Creed and Unreal Tournament 3. I think the real gaming revolution happened this year. The way I wanted games to be years ago is finally here. I'm glad I took the time away from gaming.

silver
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 13, 2007, 07:05 PM

Same here I haven't even touched my PS2 for years as well and there's no why I was going to buy a PC. Just got back into it and I've got to give the move to intel chips and bootcamp(although this can be done without bootcamp) the big thumbs up. Your right, games that are coming out now are just breathtaking to say the least. Just hope that the industry keeps up the trend.

Now those PC folks can't say a word, we have it all on the Mac(even those pesky viruses, malware, and such when booted into XP or Vista for now).

Assassin's Creed looks good, I'll chock that one on the list of games to buy.

Cheers

PaperNotes  (op)
Nov 14, 2007, 01:57 PM

I feel much safer now that I know what the temps are under Windows game play. Pro Street didn't take the CPUs past 55C and HDD 40C. Hard game though. Nothing like the other NFS games. It also needs much more horsepower to really shine. I'll be playing all these games on my quad core MacBook Pro in a year

Forum Links
Forum Rules