Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > What's Your Favorite Pet's Favorite Game?

What's Your Favorite Pet's Favorite Game?
abe
Professional Poster
Feb 19, 2008, 01:52 PM

What's Your Favorite Pet's Favorite Game?

I imagine Doofy's favorite Pet's favorite game might be too risque to describe here. But, for those who are more likely to shop for their pets at PETSMART than Victoria's Secret, what are your furried, feathered, webbed, finned, scaled or whiskered friends' favorite game to play?

Domino (a Cocker Spaniel/Poodle mix...but NOT a Cockapoo! TYVM!) and I used to go on runs around the neighborhood and sometimes at the corner of our street I'd race her back home. The only way I could ever beat her was to catch her off guard. We wouldn't always race the last block because I knew she'd always win. She refrained from sprinting every time because she knew she'd always win.

But, after we'd gotten to the point where we knew that a final sprint just might cap our daily runs together, she would almost always pretend to be nonchalant and unsuspecting. She'd look away when I glanced at her like, 'I'm not looking at you trying to get an idea if you are going to race the last block.' But when I suddenly began running at full speed she'd speed past me and we'd laugh and laugh because we both were gaming each other but we both knew the game.

And now that I think of it all these years later, I guess I never did really win any of those races with her at all. The best I could do was get the jump on her for a few steps. But even that much of a head start was only possible by catching her off guard. I always felt triumphant when I was able to surprise her to even that degree and so in my mind I felt I had won, but I knew better and so did she. And at the end we would laugh and laugh and I would tousle her fur and we'd play wrestle on the front lawn as we cooled down. She really enjoyed that game and so did I.

What games do you enjoy with your favorite pet?

What game (or games) does your pet enjoy playing on his/her own, with or without you or others?
( Last edited by abe; Feb 19, 2008 at 02:00 PM. )
America should know the political orientation of government officials who might be in a position to adversely influence the future of this country. http://tinyurl.com/4vucu5

mindwaves
Feb 19, 2008, 01:57 PM

My 2 hamsters like spinning on their wheel.

design219
Professional Poster
Feb 19, 2008, 01:59 PM

My German Shepherd loves to play soccer. My two cats love to play with strings. My son's hermit crab doesn't play much.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 19, 2008, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by design219 View Post
My German Shepherd loves to play soccer. My two cats love to play with strings. My son's hermit crab doesn't play much.
Let me guess. He's too much of a hermit to play outside? Or no one will play with him because he's too much of a crab?

America should know the political orientation of government officials who might be in a position to adversely influence the future of this country. http://tinyurl.com/4vucu5

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 19, 2008, 02:07 PM

My westie loves literally any game we think up on the fly. I have a massive pile of leaves in my back yard that I never burned because she loved them so much. She takes off running, plows right into the middle, disappears, and then pops out the side. I have to rake them back up for her every once in a while because she'll scatter them everywhere all over again every few days.

I'm sure she doesn't play as well as design219's German Shepherd, but she loves soccer as well. I'll kick the ball down the hill in my front yard, and she'll strike a "superman" jump that usually results in her rolling down the last half of the hill, but she takes the ball and scoots it back up with her nose.

Popping out of her leaves...

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 19, 2008, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by mindwaves View Post
My 2 hamsters like spinning on their wheel.
Does their pleasure seem to come from the running?

Or do they enjoy the swinging to and fro after they stop running as the wheel comes to a halt?

Or both?

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 19, 2008, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
My westie loves literally any game we think up on the fly. I have a massive pile of leaves in my back yard that I never burned because she loved them so much. She takes off running, plows right into the middle, disappears, and then pops out the side. I have to rake them back up for her every once in a while because she'll scatter them everywhere all over again every few days.

I'm sure she doesn't play as well as design219's German Shepherd, but she loves soccer as well. I'll kick the ball down the hill in my front yard, and she'll strike a "superman" jump that usually results in her rolling down the last half of the hill, but she takes the ball and scoots it back up with her nose.

Popping out of her leaves...

I'm smiling just looking at her pictures and imagining the things you've described.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 19, 2008, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by abe View Post
I'm smiling just looking at her pictures and imagining the things you've described.
Definitely hilarious to watch. I'd like to see design219's German Shepherd.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 19, 2008, 02:14 PM

Cleo plays fetch with toy mice. Gotta be a certain kind though, the ones that have real fur on them and a leather tail. She will also perch herself in the arm of the couch and rub her face on the on it so zealously that she falls off and ends up hanging by her claws. Not really a game, just a cute way to get attention.

Angel doesn't really do anything like that. She will meet us at the door when we come home and roll on her back so we will rub her belly. Not a game per se but kind of a dog thing I think.
( Last edited by smacintush; Feb 19, 2008 at 02:44 PM. )
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 19, 2008, 02:19 PM

Cleo looks crazily mischievous. Angel looks like she didn't give a crap about having her picture taken.

Cute cats. I wish I could get one; my wife is allergic.

DKeithA
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 19, 2008, 02:33 PM

Rory loves to do an Egyptian (think the Bangles) head-bob game that simply involves bobbing her head back and forth and flapping her wings. It is absolutely her favorite thing next to pizza and spaghetti.

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 19, 2008, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by DKeithA View Post

Rory loves to do an Egyptian (think the Bangles) head-bob game that simply involves bobbing her head back and forth and flapping her wings. It is absolutely her favorite thing next to pizza and spaghetti.
She's a beauty!

DKeithA
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 19, 2008, 02:42 PM

Thanks much - she's fun but a handful.

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 19, 2008, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by DKeithA View Post
Thanks much - she's fun but a handful.
I can only imagine!

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 19, 2008, 02:47 PM

Love Rory.

Doesn't someone here have an African Grey?

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 19, 2008, 05:10 PM

Love Rory.

Doesn't someone here have an African Grey?
Yup.

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2008, 10:26 PM

My dog loves playing what I would call a variation of fetch. He has this stuffed AFLAC duck that he wants you to throw to him but once you try to get it from him he'll growl and get in kind of a pouncing position so he can guard his catch. Whenever I play this game with him he always gets this crazy look on his face with his tongue hanging out the side of his mouth. But thats it.

iranfromthezoo
Senior User
Feb 19, 2008, 10:35 PM

my dog likes to play with his balls?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Feb 19, 2008, 11:01 PM

My roommate's dog loves flashlight lights and especially laser pointers. So we play "run the dog into the wall."

Disclaimer: She doesn't actually run into the wall...at the last second she jumps up and bounces off.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 20, 2008, 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
My roommate's dog loves flashlight lights and especially laser pointers. So we play "run the dog into the wall."

Disclaimer: She doesn't actually run into the wall...at the last second she jumps up and bounces off.
Hilarious picture. Isn't it crazy how nuts they go over the laser pointers? I've never seen a dog that didn't have a crazy fit over it.

We figured out that if they tire out, you can shine the laser right in front of them, and then when they try to "swat it and pin it down," you turn it off. They think they have it, and when they look underneath, you turn it on again about a foot in front of them.

Kind of torturous, I guess.

Atomic Rooster
Feb 20, 2008, 02:27 AM

lol abe, my dog loves to smell other dog's poo, lol, when we go for our daily sojourn, lol. And he dances on his two hind legs, lol, trying to teach him how to tango, lol, but it's not k0ol for two males to get caught doing that, lol.

dav
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2008, 03:33 PM

my dog died over the summer
one post closer to five stars

starman
Clinically Insane
Feb 20, 2008, 03:42 PM

One of my cockatiels is a complete moron. I put up a mirror and he tries to tackle the thing and get it on the ground. It's one of those mirrors that hangs from the rails in the cage. The funniest part is when I'm in the same room, he seems to think I'm going to steal the mirror away, so he protects it. I'll slide it to one end of the cage and he'll get all bent out of shape and try to get the thing off so that I don't. Stupid bird. The other bird just sits there and laughs.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 20, 2008, 04:19 PM

Hilarious picture. Isn't it crazy how nuts they go over the laser pointers? I've never seen a dog that didn't have a crazy fit over it.

Our dog gets so agitated looking for it once it "disappears" that she'll spontaneously pee or poo.

Needless to say, we decided that maybe we shouldn't play that game.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 20, 2008, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Our dog gets so agitated looking for it once it "disappears" that she'll spontaneously pee or poo.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 20, 2008, 04:32 PM

Beaker's favorite game is "I drop it, you pick it up".

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 20, 2008, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by MacinTommy View Post
My dog loves playing what I would call a variation of fetch. He has this stuffed AFLAC duck that he wants you to throw to him but once you try to get it from him he'll growl and get in kind of a pouncing position so he can guard his catch. Whenever I play this game with him he always gets this crazy look on his face with his tongue hanging out the side of his mouth. But thats it.
Great game!

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 20, 2008, 08:40 PM

Likely story! I'll bet that's how her face got pushed in!

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 20, 2008, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Atomic Rooster View Post
lol abe, my dog loves to smell other dog's poo, lol, when we go for our daily sojourn, lol. And he dances on his two hind legs, lol, trying to teach him how to tango, lol, but it's not k0ol for two males to get caught doing that, lol.
To him it's not a gender bending issue, AR. It's an activity he ONLY does with YOU. And so it's really special to him, I'd bet.

DKeithA
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 20, 2008, 08:43 PM

I know that game very well too.

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 20, 2008, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by dav View Post
my dog died over the summer
Don't ever get another one until the pain is all gone and all you remember are the fun times you enjoyed together.

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 20, 2008, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
One of my cockatiels is a complete moron. I put up a mirror and he tries to tackle the thing and get it on the ground. It's one of those mirrors that hangs from the rails in the cage. The funniest part is when I'm in the same room, he seems to think I'm going to steal the mirror away, so he protects it. I'll slide it to one end of the cage and he'll get all bent out of shape and try to get the thing off so that I don't. Stupid bird. The other bird just sits there and laughs.
That's pretty funny!

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 20, 2008, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 20, 2008, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 20, 2008, 08:53 PM

She also flings socks from the sock drawer - a variation on the "You pick it up" theme.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Feb 20, 2008, 08:53 PM

Likely story! I'll bet that's how her face got pushed in!
Actually, we stopped playing that game on carpet after she rug-burned her chin to the point of bleeding. Twice.

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 20, 2008, 08:56 PM

She also flings socks from the sock drawer - a variation on the "You pick it up" theme.
What does she do if you fail to pick whatever-it-is up?

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 20, 2008, 08:57 PM

Actually, we stopped playing that game on carpet after she rug-burned her chin to the point of bleeding. Twice.
YIKES!

Good decision!

harbinger75
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 20, 2008, 11:33 PM

Not my favorite pet, but my wife's dog that she's has had since before we met, likes to fart. That's pretty much it. A black and white Boston Terrier who farts. A lot.

Our cat, on the other hand, gets in the middle of your sh*t all the time. That's pretty much all he does. That and sleep, I suppose.
the geek source
Twitter: @thegeeksource

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Feb 21, 2008, 12:21 AM

I'm reminded of pug bowling...

YouTube - Pug bowling

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Feb 21, 2008, 12:30 AM

My oldest cat's favorite game is "hide the hairball". He's left them in the damnedest places; shoes, cabinets, magazine rack, the shower, behind the water heater, etc.. It's pretty disgusting.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Atheist
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2008, 12:37 AM

I have pet ants that like to play with my food in the kitchen.

vexborg
Senior User
Feb 21, 2008, 07:31 AM

Ok, let's see...

Galileo (my fat cat) like to chase his own tail - but also to kneed and suck on my sweater.

Shiva just loves to come into our bedroom at 3:30 in the morning, stand on the bed between us and go "Baaaauuuuwwwwww" in a proud and happy voice.
( Last edited by vexborg; Feb 21, 2008 at 10:38 AM. )
The gene pool needs cleaning - I'll be the chlorine.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 21, 2008, 08:18 AM

What does she do if you fail to pick whatever-it-is up?
Luckily, she does not get upset. She will throw something from her cage and then stare down at it, looking at it sideways with one eye. She does have fun tossing things and sometimes she'll flick things with a twist of her neck sending them across the room. Pretty impressive for a 500g bird.

andi*pandi
Feb 21, 2008, 09:14 AM

the cats like it when i give them treats--you can't just give them, you have to throw them so they bounce off the floor and skitter around. Then the cats chase them and "hunt." Sometimes I have to play hockey with the treats when a toss isn't good enough.

they also like furry mice and climbing on the rafters.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 26, 2008, 07:28 PM

Had to post this:

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 26, 2008, 07:38 PM

Had to post this:
[IMG]http://images.icanhascheezburger.com/completestore/2008/2/26/sumbirdiedrop128485394821418855.jpg
That's pretty funny!

It doesn't seem that a feather that long would fit him anywhere. Is that from a wing or his tail?

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 26, 2008, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
the cats like it when i give them treats--you can't just give them, you have to throw them so they bounce off the floor and skitter around. Then the cats chase them and "hunt." Sometimes I have to play hockey with the treats when a toss isn't good enough.

they also like furry mice and climbing on the rafters.
For some reason that reminds me of Lewis the Cat. I loved that guy!

el chupacabra
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2008, 02:34 AM

Ma dog

He likes to chase me around the coffee table and yard, when he catches me he likes to knock me down and put his mouth around
my neck to show his dominance. So cute.

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 27, 2008, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by el chupacabra View Post
Ma dog

He likes to chase me around the coffee table and yard, when he catches me he likes to knock me down and put his mouth around
my neck to show his dominance. So cute.

I would make sure to NEVER piss him off.

Forum Links
Forum Rules