Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New MacBook Pro when?

New MacBook Pro when? (Page 2)
shawmanus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 5, 2008, 06:30 PM

Latest Intel Slides show dual core auburndale with built in graphics(next gen macbook) will release only in Jan 2010.

http://en.expreview.com/img/2008/09/04/lynnfield_s.png

Which means that montevina update will last for a long time. I dont know if that will cause Apple to slowly role out montevina specially for macbook.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 5, 2008, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by shawmanus View Post
Latest Intel Slides show dual core auburndale with built in graphics(next gen macbook) will release only in Jan 2010.

http://en.expreview.com/img/2008/09/04/lynnfield_s.png

Which means that montevina update will last for a long time. I dont know if that will cause Apple to slowly role out montevina specially for macbook.
With that and the Penryn refresh they did earlier this year, I wouldn't be surprised to see the MacBook update slip into January... but I'm still predicting 4th quarter.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 9, 2008, 09:37 AM

mduell, Are you talking about Jan. 2009? Or are you referring to the Jan. 2010 comment in the previous post?

I don't expect anything today anyway. Probably an iTunes/iPod/iPhone event mostly.

But yeah, if I've got my codenames right... The most interesting update IMO will be that Jan. 2010 update with Auburndale and Calpella Centrino 3.

Nehalem
Accelerated HD H.264/Blu-ray support.
QuickPath interconnect
DisplayPort
WiMax

I'd be happy with a lower end 2.4 GHz part in a MacBook. (I'm not interested in the MBP, unless they release a nice small one.)

P.S. That G4 800 iBook I'm using is slow, but actually reasonably OK for most basic surfing, etc. However, I've noticed it can only just keep up with standard def. XviD playback. Don't expect to do anything else while playing those videos, and HD is a lost cause.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 9, 2008, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
mduell, Are you talking about Jan. 2009? Or are you referring to the Jan. 2010 comment in the previous post?

But yeah, if I've got my codenames right... The most interesting update IMO will be that Jan. 2010 update with Auburndale and Calpella Centrino 3.
The MacBooks will get the 2 core Auburndale while I'd expect to see the 4 core Clarksfield in the MBP. It's unclear if Calpella is the name for the "PM" (performance mobile) or "GM" (integrated graphics mobile) chipset, but essentially yes, Calpella will be it.

Nehalem
Accelerated HD H.264/Blu-ray support.
QuickPath interconnect
DisplayPort
WiMax
Mobile Nehalem won't have QPI; they're sticking with DMI to the PCH. H.264 acceleration on the GPU is already possible in the MBPs (works in Windows).

iomatic
Mac Elite
Sep 9, 2008, 01:32 PM

I bet there will be a refresh next week though.

uprisingpure
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 9, 2008, 04:08 PM

So at this point have we given up on a case re-design with the coming update? From what I have seen it looks like most of the interwebs are saying that within the next few weeks we will just see a quiet refresh and then the major re-design will come next year.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 9, 2008, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
H.264 acceleration on the GPU is already possible in the MBPs (works in Windows).
I'm not going to be buying a MBP any time soon, if ever. I'm a MacBook type of guy. (I went from an iBook to a PowerBook, and then eventually back to another iBook, and then an MacBook.)

BTW, as of today, the baseline for a Mac laptop should be Core 2 Duo.

"Playing HD-quality videos purchased on the iTunes Store requires a 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo or faster processor"

Brien
Professional Poster
Sep 9, 2008, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by uprisingpure View Post
So at this point have we given up on a case re-design with the coming update? From what I have seen it looks like most of the interwebs are saying that within the next few weeks we will just see a quiet refresh and then the major re-design will come next year.
Oh man I hope not.

shawmanus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 10, 2008, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
The MacBooks will get the 2 core Auburndale while I'd expect to see the 4 core Clarksfield in the MBP. It's unclear if Calpella is the name for the "PM" (performance mobile) or "GM" (integrated graphics mobile) chipset, but essentially yes, Calpella will be it.
Since Integrated Graphics will be part of CPU and not the chipset, wont the chipset be the same.

I dont see macbook update in the near future(probably Jan 2009). Macbook pro will be updated soon. They might change iMac to use montevina platform, but they might already be doing that as there are no change to frequency.

DKeithA
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 10, 2008, 01:14 PM

They will be updated in October.

romeosc
Mac Elite
Sep 10, 2008, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by DKeithA View Post
They will be updated in October.
Did Steve also say what update would be?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 10, 2008, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by me View Post
Well, I was guessing October for new laptops myself. I could see late Sept. though.
Daring Fireball claims October 14.

Speaking of Macs, contrary to speculation, there were no announcements regarding new Mac notebooks. Such speculation was misguided; Apple has held an iPod/music special event in September or October every year since 2001, and, to my knowledge, has never once used such events to announce new Mac hardware. Those of you holding out for a new lineup of MacBooks will have to wait until October 14, according to sources who, as they say, are familiar with Apple’s hardware plans.

P
Sep 10, 2008, 04:36 PM

Since Integrated Graphics will be part of CPU and not the chipset, wont the chipset be the same.
For what? For desktop versions of the 2 and 4 core CPUs: Yes, it seems so, as it will only be the old Southbridge/ICH (now named PCH for Platform Controller Hub) left on the outside. For the mobile versions, I don't think it has been spelled out, but it seems likely.

P
Sep 10, 2008, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
I base my opinion on Apple precedent: New chip generations are usually accompanied by case redesigns. The G4 was introduced with a redesigned version of the Smurf Tower. The PB G4 introduced the Titanium design. The iMac G4 was accompanied by the Lampshade design. The G5 was introduced with its new case design. The iMac G5 was a new design. The notable exceptions that conform to your idea happened within the G3: the beige to Smurf Tower switch and the clamshell to iceBook switch on the iBook side.
Old post, but I have to note that the last time this happened was with the launch of the iMac G5 in freaking 2004, and the only other simultaneous major redesigns/CPU shifts were the iMac G4, the Powermac G5, and the Powerbook G4. The Powermac G4 was a simple recolor of a case introduced for the old model, and it was recoloured several times more. Apple seems to have moved away from this "Big Bang" introduction after the switch. The simultaneous redesigns were about breaking with a failing CPU (the G4), reinventing a true classic (the old G3 iMac) and moving the line to a different segment (the Powerbook G4, which moved the Powerbook from mainstream towards high-end with the iBook beneath it). Now it seems Apple is better served by maintaining continuity, changing one piece at a time, like they did in the olden days.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 11, 2008, 12:06 AM

It's possible, but I don't know that they want to use a bunch CPU socket pins to carry the video signals to some other chip for output, or send them through the already-connected PCH.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 11, 2008, 06:08 PM

So John Gruber is reporting the new MacBook (Pro?) line will be released Oct. 14? One week before my birthday — perfect excuse!
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Brien
Professional Poster
Sep 13, 2008, 03:15 AM

I sure hope so. Been waiting forever and a day for the update.

calverson
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2008, 08:54 AM

I have been waiting for a while for it, was ready to upgrade in August, and heard that new MBPS were coming... I am almost ready to go out and get a current one. I just know that one week after that there will be the release.

P
Sep 14, 2008, 03:45 PM

Just out of curiosity... what, exactly, is it you are waiting for? Bets guess is that the clockspeed goes up with some 200 MHz or so, the FSB speed rises to 1066 MHz and the max RAM is increased to 8 gigs. What happens to the GPU is anyones guess, but as explored in another thread, any upgrade is likely to be fairly minor. A 38x0 GPU is a possibility, although the TDP is rumored to be on the high side, but other than that, all mobile GPUs significantly faster than the 8600 are also much hotter.

calverson
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2008, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
Just out of curiosity... what, exactly, is it you are waiting for? Bets guess is that the clockspeed goes up with some 200 MHz or so, the FSB speed rises to 1066 MHz and the max RAM is increased to 8 gigs. What happens to the GPU is anyones guess, but as explored in another thread, any upgrade is likely to be fairly minor. A 38x0 GPU is a possibility, although the TDP is rumored to be on the high side, but other than that, all mobile GPUs significantly faster than the 8600 are also much hotter.
As I said, I am waiting for the next release of a Macbook Pro. This will serve me for the next two years, as my current MacBook Pro has, so waiting for the possibility of 8 gigs of RAM is definitely worth it.

And maybe this.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 14, 2008, 05:15 PM

It can never hurt to wait a few weeks if you don't absolutely need it right away. In the very least, after a new release one can get the older model for a discount.

And we never know what Apple is going to surprise us with.

davidbk1
Sep 14, 2008, 05:55 PM

Just out of curiosity... what, exactly, is it you are waiting for?
2.66Ghz at 25W (P9600) but apparently it's not coming so soon. Maybe I'll wait for mac world. My PB is 5 years old and I'm ready to replace it.

Oh yeah, a user serviceable HDD.

P
Sep 15, 2008, 09:24 AM

It can never hurt to wait a few weeks if you don't absolutely need it right away.
I just think that too many are waiting for too long - some start waiting 2 months after the last refresh. You can guess pretty well what the next update is going to be these days, if not exactly when.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 15, 2008, 09:31 AM

I just think that too many are waiting for too long - some start waiting 2 months after the last refresh.
Then they started too early. However, the last refresh was in February - 7 months ago. Personally I think it's foolish not to wait, unless there is an urgent need for the machine.

You can guess pretty well what the next update is going to be these days, if not exactly when.
Not really. You can guess the CPU, etc., but not the overall specs.

For example, how many people predicted backlit keyboards? Two-finger scrolling?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 15, 2008, 01:42 PM

RUMOUR...
Barron's: Shipments Have Begun On New MacBooks

Citigroup’s Richard Gardner... says that “field checks” have confirmed that shipments of new MacBooks have begun; he says the most distinctive features of the new MacBooks are “very thin aluminum casing, an LED-backlit display and an aggressive entry-level price point.”

*Not sure if he's talking about Apple laptops in general or just the non-Pro MacBooks.

Brien
Professional Poster
Sep 17, 2008, 02:46 AM

Well I certainly hope it's both or the Pro. It'd be a shame if the MB out-spec'd the MBP.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 17, 2008, 03:03 AM

I don't think you really need to worry about that.

Forum Links
Forum Rules