Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Battlefield 3

Battlefield 3 (Page 10)
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 17, 2012, 09:59 AM

Forgot to add, shot of the completed ribbons section.

Feels good, man.

The worst beat down I have ever seen.

If you understand the mechanics of the game, you'll realize in a 12 minute, 350 ticket round, the other team managed to kill someone on mine seven times. That is horrific.

Edit: I suppose that doesn't take into account revives. But still, the point stands.

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2012, 10:05 AM

equip the M26 MASS and unlock the DART rounds for it! attach it to the G3 or M4 with the underslung!

I'm itching....I haven't played in weeks...I haven't played the new patch yet

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 17, 2012, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by abbaZaba View Post
equip the M26 MASS and unlock the DART rounds for it! attach it to the G3 or M4 with the underslung!
Yeah, I tried that. Either I'm doing it wrong, or its not quite working consistently. Then again, I've been noticing a lot of hit detection issues with this game since the patch. Can't pin it on the game with certainty, though as my connection took a shit a few weeks ago and hasn't quite been the same since.

Either way, I have a lot of other shot guns to service star before wasting my time on that.

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2012, 12:00 PM

oh man, if I get back on there and everything is very different I am gonna be rull pissed

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 17, 2012, 12:02 PM

Speaking of different, as much as I lamented the tank changes, I've gotten used to it. The battles are kinda more intense, but if someone gets the drop on you, its over, and that sucks.

The nerfing of the stinger lock-on was a bad move. Shooting down air support form the ground (without SOFLAMM) is impossible.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 18, 2012, 10:27 AM

Speaking of SOFLAMM, the requirements to earn the medal and the dog tags are ridiculous. 300 laser designation for the medal (and designations from the third tank seat don't seem to count) followed by five medals (1500 designations) for the dog tags. Ugh, shoot me in the face. That's a whole lot of time spent doing very little. And its twice as worthless if your team isn't running javelin.

---

Speaking of javelins and the like, I still can't figure out the inconsistency of lock-on weapons. Sometimes they hit heli, sometimes they can outrun them. Sometimes they hit the tank, some times they miss. It's infuriating, if not discouraging.

---

I'm also having a ton of issues with the hit detection and health display. I'm getting shots off on target on guys who kill me and seeing them at full health in the kill cam. I'll have firefights where my aim is so precise I'll see the person health bar and I'll see it at 50% when I die, but the killcam will say they had 75% left. Or they'll show as having ~10% health left but the killcam will then say 50%. It's very confusing and frustrating.

---

Since the custom servers infest the results so much, I only just realized today that Tehran Highway must be the red headed step child of the maps. It only really seems to be in playlists that have most if not all of the maps. Which is a pity, as I think it's one of the best bigger maps. Kharg and Firestorm get more love, but I'd be willing to be that's because they're loaded with aerial vehicles (if not tons of vehicles overall). Personally, I think both maps play pretty boring, particularly Firestorm. Canals even gets more love, and it's just a spawn trap waiting to happen.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 19, 2012, 09:58 AM

Rollin' with an 'NN crew four deep, eight games, eight wins, seven Ace Squads, utter domination.

We do have to play a different playlist next time, though. I hated half the maps. We should probably do the BF3 Classic rotation, so I can get me some infantry level love, too.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 19, 2012, 11:16 AM

Oh and I think Ojester will vouch for me, but there's something up where tanks will randomly get one-shotted.

Edit: Also, they need to rebalance the M220s as they do too little damage, take too long to reload and leave you too vulnerable. They should do Javelin damage.

Edit 2: I've also seen a huge uptick in the amount of "Bad Luck" deaths the past few weeks. Had like 6 last night.

Chips G
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 19, 2012, 12:50 PM

Was fun last night - agreed that we need a bit more diversity in maps.
This signature is obsolete.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 19, 2012, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Rollin' with an 'NN crew four deep, eight games, eight wins, seven Ace Squads, utter domination.
Probably going to add one more to that list. Though tonight isn't going to be an ideal time to sink my teeth into it, Friday....on the other hand, hopefully you folks won't mind staying up a little.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 19, 2012, 01:03 PM

Wait, did you buy it already?

edit: I see Toys R Us has it for $40.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 19, 2012, 01:13 PM

Discussion from the H4 thread:

Well, I wasn't trying to convince you per se, as I said, my being the only regular is a huge detriment to the "community" aspect of the game. But if you'd like to reunite, I'll be super pumped to see you on.
I'll find the game for cheap before Friday night, expect me on after my bowling league (around 9:30)

You and I are going to need to reinforce each other on this then, and we're going to need to do a way better job than we did with Halo: Reach.
Agreed. A gaming house divided cannot stand.

I suppose it was only a matter of time before the general NN cancer spread to gaming.
Black Ops was the beginning of the end. I just wish I didn't have such outright faith in the return of the glory MW2 days and pushed for BF3 from the start.

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
Wait, did you buy it already?

edit: I see Toys R Us has it for $40.
Not yet, Stogie, but if Toys R Us has it for 40 bucks then I'm going by there today. Like I said though, probably not going to get to it tonight.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 19, 2012, 01:16 PM

Fair warning stogie, its got a much harder learning curve than CoD. Weapons have more recoil, there's bullet drop, and the unlock system is cruel to noobs.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 19, 2012, 01:17 PM

A song comes to mind:

reunited and it feeels so goood

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 19, 2012, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
I'll find the game for cheap before Friday night, expect me on after my bowling league (around 9:30)
I'll keep that in mind. Seeing as I have plans all of Sat I might use that as an excuse to stay in.

Agreed. A gaming house divided cannot stand.
Will your crew give in? I think I can expect 3 of my crew to be all in. The sad part is, even if we withstand the initial onslaught (release day) we'll probably have to withstand the "It's pretty good" for the next few weeks as well.

IBlack Ops was the beginning of the end. I just wish I didn't have such outright faith in the return of the glory MW2 days and pushed for BF3 from the start.
Faith or hope? Mine was the latter. Hope for the old maps. I actually like the game but in the end the maps killed it for me, even discounting the atrocious lag.

And I can't blame you for not pushing for BF3 after that beta (though I still loved the game).

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 19, 2012, 01:26 PM

A song comes to mind:

reunited and it feeels so goood
Make sure you have apsolid, ojester, and chrisgilqin on your friends list. They are the only ones I see on with any regularity.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 19, 2012, 02:59 PM

Fair warning stogie, its got a much harder learning curve than CoD. Weapons have more recoil, there's bullet drop, and the unlock system is cruel to noobs.
Too late. I already purchased the game online. Going to pick it up in store during my lunch break. I'll be online tonight around 7pm Pacific Time.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 19, 2012, 03:09 PM

you gon die

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 19, 2012, 03:23 PM

Hotfix today:

Changelist
* Fixed AA missiles not doing damage to vehicles moving at very high speeds (This is the much wanted heatseaker fix)
* Fixed TV Missile doing much more damage than it should (it is no longer a 1-hit kill)
* Tweaked tank armor strength
* MAV elevatoring fix, round 2; proning on the MAV will now disable it

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 19, 2012, 03:39 PM

Bogues must have sensed you were coming, he's on and leveling like mad.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Apr 19, 2012, 03:46 PM

What happened?
I pick this game up and now the entire NN' crew is jumping on the bandwagon...

Got a few more games in, and i'm officially hooked on this game, its the perfect mix of everything i love about multiplayer FPS, and the maps... fantastic.

Excited to get a full NN' crew in on some games

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Apr 19, 2012, 03:54 PM

Too late. I already purchased the game online. Going to pick it up in store during my lunch break. I'll be online tonight around 7pm Pacific Time.
Stogie you down for some tedious and ridiculous achievement hunting in co-op?

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 19, 2012, 03:59 PM

Hell yeah.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 19, 2012, 03:59 PM

Ha, there you go.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 19, 2012, 05:36 PM

Bought the game, won't be on tonight, unless I can sneak in a few games later on.

Any DLC or anything I need to worry about?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 19, 2012, 11:59 PM

Yeah, grab Back to Karkand. That goes for you too, Bogues.

Oh, and boot up the game early... there's a 2 GB patch.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Apr 20, 2012, 06:56 AM

Yeah, grab Back to Karkand. That goes for you too, Bogues.

I was planning on picking it up, I'll throw it into the DL queue.

Boot early? 2GB patch plus the 2.5GB texture download.... Boot really early.
--------------------
Had a few quick games with Dakar, Ive really learned to use the pistol, In COD i could never find a good use but this game really creates balance with your secondary weapon,

Also I don't know what map it was but Dakar was flying a chopper I spent a good 5 minutes trying to shoot him down with the anti air turret.... What an incredible waste of time on my part, but I enjoyed it ha

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Apr 20, 2012, 06:59 AM

Hell yeah.
Just some advice, IDK I you plan on running through the campaign first but if/when you do, the hard mode is nothing like COD veteran, more like hardened if anything, I did my first run on Hard (Semper Fi Achievement) and then went back with mission select for the individual achievements, most are very easy.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 20, 2012, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin Bogues View Post
I was planning on picking it up, I'll throw it into the DL queue.

Boot early? 2GB patch plus the 2.5GB texture download.... Boot really early.
fatty probably doesn't have the disk space for the hi-res install, but that's a good point.

Had a few quick games with Dakar, Ive really learned to use the pistol, In COD i could never find a good use but this game really creates balance with your secondary weapon,
Wasn't that like one of my first bits of advice to you? What're you using? I'd the 1911 is the best silenced pistol in the game.

Also I don't know what map it was but Dakar was flying a chopper I spent a good 5 minutes trying to shoot him down with the anti air turret.... What an incredible waste of time on my part, but I enjoyed it ha
Operation Firestorm. I didn't realize that was coming from the ground. I guess they really did nerf the stingers too much, aside from having to land and repair once I didn't have too much trouble. Did you get any hitmarkers on me?

---

Bogues I hope you caught that I jumped into the Caspian game. Caught you taking B, shot you up, and then spent a good 10 seconds dragging my balls up and down your face.

Then I caught you prone on the roof at D, and then you tried to chase me down whileI was regening health... Maybe next time, kid.

---

Completed my final assignment last night! Had one DPV kill left and I wish there was theater for it. Was going for a splatter, and I ran into A base on Oman and just caught a guy dead center on my hood and pinned him into the house wall. Boom. MK3A1 unlocked.

It's a crazy shotgun. I was using it on in Rush on the last game of the night (Crosbie joined mid-game), and I was just dropping fools left and right, with a few double kills or kills + suppression. The range is probably the smallest of all the shotguns, but its speed is so insane I doubt there's any better CQB weapon.

I had it paired with my motion sensor, which I might add is ludicrous that I was the only person running it. Without a doubt, our stuffing the opposing team on the first set of M-COMs was thanks to that thing. They just couldn't sneak in on us. They did make a valiant final push at the end, but my team held it together.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 20, 2012, 09:25 AM

Oh yeah, fatty and crosbie should log into battlelog and create profiles so we can see stats. Yes, its free.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 20, 2012, 09:41 AM

I'm not good at reading. Bogues, the anti-air turrets are mostly design to prevent spawn camping. Which is why you'll find they all tend to have a mountain between them and the main meat of the map. They can be... frustrating.

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2012, 10:30 AM

have they adjusted the accuracy of the M3KA1? the last time I used it which was a month or so ago it was INCREDIBLY inaccurate, laughably so. I equipped it with slugs on Metro and was shooting at a wall no more than 15 ft away and the marks were not even remotely close to where I was aiming....it was a known bug and I really hoped they fixed it, it seemed like it could play a niche role very well

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 20, 2012, 10:33 AM

I got 23 kills in a game with it last night, all super up close. I think with its rate of fire its not meant for even short-medium engagements, otherwise it'd be super broken (use the DAO for that).

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 20, 2012, 12:03 PM

Thanks, I could have used that warning last night. I had a full hour of installations before I played my first game.

Oh yeah, fatty and crosbie should log into battlelog and create profiles so we can see stats. Yes, its free.
I created an Origin account last night and tried to log into Battlelog. I kept getting an error message saying "not allowed." The FAQ says I should play Multiplayer or Co-Op Campaign to fix this issue. I played two games last night but that didn't fix anything.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 20, 2012, 12:10 PM

Thanks, I could have used that warning last night. I had a full hour of installations before I played my first game.
It occurred to me when you logged on.

I created an Origin account last night and tried to log into Battlelog. I kept getting an error message saying "not allowed." The FAQ says I should play Multiplayer or Co-Op Campaign to fix this issue. I played two games last night but that didn't fix anything.
Eh, give it a try after your next session. Should work.

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2012, 12:55 PM

my battlelog has never worked but it looks like such a nice addition to the game

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 20, 2012, 02:33 PM

I can clear out some space, namely, my Skyrim install. That should easily give me enough space for both the patch and the high-res graphics.

But seriously, that's a retarded amount to space needed to play a game, just sayin.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 20, 2012, 02:42 PM

But seriously, that's a retarded amount to space needed to play a game, just sayin.
Well, think about it. You can play without the high-res graphics and therefore no install. But with the installation you get some of the best FPS graphics this gen. This is a direct result of an over-long gen in gaming. Personally, I'm ok with this.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 20, 2012, 04:27 PM

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Apr 20, 2012, 06:48 PM

Well, think about it. You can play without the high-res graphics and therefore no install. But with the installation you get some of the best FPS graphics this gen. This is a direct result of an over-long gen in gaming. Personally, I'm ok with this.
With install this game has easily the best graphics in multiplayer FPS by a wide margin, honestly at times it can make COD feel last gen (i.e environment destruction and smoke & particle effects), and probably only falls to second place this gen on the 360 to Rage IMO.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 20, 2012, 09:55 PM

I'll be on, but later than planned.

look for me at 11.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 21, 2012, 02:55 PM

Well, I did nothing to distinguish myself last night, but at least fatty got to see some actual domination today.

Dex13
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2012, 04:28 PM

i think i just got overly annoyed with some of the new glitches in the game last night.

but it is always fun and rewarding to play with you guys from the 'nn.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 22, 2012, 03:56 AM

My copy has been collecting dust since Christmas. Maybe I should get in on this too.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 22, 2012, 06:18 PM

I got my battlelog account up and running. I added Bogues and Dakar to my friends list so please accept my friend requests. Couldn't find fatty and stogie. What are your user names?

Is the back to Karkand worth the $15?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 23, 2012, 09:33 AM

So fatty, I know it's early yet, but some initial impressions after a weekend on BF3?

Originally Posted by KCrosbie View Post
My copy has been collecting dust since Christmas. Maybe I should get in on this too.
Out of curiosity, why did you pick it up? This is the first tme you played any of it, or just the multi?

Originally Posted by Dex13 View Post
i think i just got overly annoyed with some of the new glitches in the game last night.
Which ones?

I've noticed that I'm not receiving random ribbons now. I had a game of Rush where I had 4 disarms and got zero M-COM defends when I should have received two.

Originally Posted by Dex13 View Post
but it is always fun and rewarding to play with you guys from the 'nn.
Speaking of guys from NN, at the risk of possibly offending you, that Gamemastah guy is pretty annoying.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 23, 2012, 10:04 AM

Weekend Notes

• Weapons service starred: QBZ-95B (completing the last of the engineer guns), QBB-95, MG36, M1014, P90. The Support Class weapons are going be a real challenge seeing as they all come standard with bipods which means the only way to reduce recoil is to set-up shop somewhere.

• Had what looks like a quintuple kill with a grenade one game. That's one for the books. I'll bet someone got a lot of assist points.

• The javelin has been real useful since the patch, but trying to shoot down air support is just impossible without SOFLAMM. The lock-on distances with the stinger and igla are so small, and if the aircraft is running either stealth (longer lock-on) or the perk for denying lock-ons when running low to the ground, you just can't do anything.

• I'm starting to get a little addicted to the recon class. I can't put up points like assault, but using the motion sensor can be the difference maker in a competitive game.

• Speaking of competitive games, fatty and I were defending on Metro Rush, and our team was putting up a good fight but just not getting it done. I was running as support trying to level the M240 when at the third set of M-COMs I decided to switch over to Assault – my best class, but one I hadn't played in quite some time.

Immediately the battle starts getting gritty. We're already down an M-COM, but we start to push back – only to fail. However, when the attacking team is supposed move up to final set of M-COMs, our side is at the ticket counter and turnstiles, somehow stymying the tide. This goes on for 25 tickets or so before they cause enough of the defenders to spawn outside and they start to break through our line. Undaunted, the team falls back to the trio of exits from the Metro and a new war ensues.

Again, the attackers persist, and they start leaking out of the building into the streets and push forward to the M-COMs. However, the fight has taken it's toll, and they're under half their tickets remaining and we are making them pay for every inch. They arm A once or twice, but our team clears them out vindictively. From there they seem to refocus on the B M-COM at the bus (using the EOD-Bot, frequently), but again, our team is persistent; There team tries to defend the M-COM but our players never go down alone. Three times I disarm the B M-COM myself, the team either clearing a path for me, or not far behind should I fall.

In the end we stuff them on the final set of M-COMs, coming together in a final triumphant stand. I said to fatty, there are two great ways to win at Rush: To stuff the team on the first set, or to stuff them on the final set. If Rush were basketball, I'd illustrate it thusly: The first set stuff is stripping the ball from a player just as he's about to go up a lay-up. The last set denial is blocking their dunk at the very last second. Extremely rewarding.

I'd like to think that my switching to Assault played a big role in the victory. On the third set of M-COMs my score was sitting in the middle of the pack. After withstanding their final push, I managed to work my way to the top denying their every attempt at B.

To illustrate, fatty and I both put up strong performances, but those disarms gave me the points edge.

(Side note: The bastard player with 42 kills on the other team wasn't that great; His weapon of choice sucked but he was wiping up everyone on what I assume was connection. He destroyed me 5-7 times in a row before I switched classes and doubled down on the fury, and in return I ended up murdering the guy so many times in a row I earned a nemesis ribbon (5+ kills on an enemy without them killing you) which felt so good)

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Apr 23, 2012, 11:57 AM

I'm finally going to play today after almost two months without....gotta get this rust off if I'm going to play with you guys

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 23, 2012, 12:06 PM

We'll welcome the skilled addition.

Couple other things I forgot about...

• So Crosbies, how'd you enjoy Fire in the Sky? I'll help you out and recommend experimenting with control schemes till you find the right one that works for piloting the copper. I changed mine and immediately started flying longer.

• If you think weekend notes are a humblebrag, here comes something not so thinly veiled: I broke 500 SPM and can't be more floored. I was around 325 when I returned from my MW3 hiatus. I'm also a little curious as to how its determined. I think ribbons are a factor, as I do not average 5 kills or two caps, a minute.

• I see fatty is on the battlelog. 1.0 k/d and 250 spm already – adapting quite quickly.

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Apr 23, 2012, 01:42 PM

• If you think weekend notes are a humblebrag, here comes something not so thinly veiled: I broke 500 SPM and can't be more floored. I was around 325 when I returned from my MW3 hiatus. I'm also a little curious as to how its determined. I think ribbons are a factor, as I do not average 5 kills or two caps, a minute.
it's everything that you can get a score for- caps, kills, assists, resupply, revives, suppression kill, MAV spotting, ribbons, medals, etc. the score that gets applied to time played is everything but class XP I believe

Forum Links
Forum Rules