Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > LONG time Mac Addict, but iOS 7 is Terrible ! :-(

LONG time Mac Addict, but iOS 7 is Terrible ! :-(
flyingfadr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 2, 2013, 03:19 AM

First, let me say, that I have been a LONG time Mac ADDICT... have owned most every Mac model since the Mac Plus, and have converted literally HUNDREDS of PC users to mac.

But, i hate to say it, but iOS 7 is TERRIBLE ! It took my Hi-tech looking iPhone, and turned it into an ugly Samdung phone ! The new apple "flat look" app icons look like cheap, infant toy icons. :-(

The Hi-tech looking iPod section of the phone now looks cheap and unfinished... the Hi-tech Gray, has been replaced by a cheap look. You used to be able to grab the play cursor and drag to a different section of the song easily... now it is almost NON-functional.... dragging the very diffictult red play line now stutters and most of the time does not move to a different section in the song.

The Bottom line, is that I have LOVED Apple products for MANY years, i bought an iPhone, because I wanted the BEST, most functional, and aesthetically pleasing phone there is... instead, my iPhone has been converted into a half non-functional, ugly Samdung... if I had WANTED a Samdung, I would have BOUGHT a Samdung...

PLEASE restore the superior look and feel back to the iPhone !

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 2, 2013, 03:27 AM

Good morning, and welcome to the forums.

Taste is an acquired thing.

If it's mostly the aesthetics that are bugging you, give them three weeks, and you will wonder how you lived with the tacky and overburdened mess that was iOS 6. Either that, or you'll just learn to live with it.

There are some usability issues (e. g. a dissection of the iOS 7 UIPicker has been making the rounds lately), but not as many as some people make out.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 2, 2013, 08:24 AM

I'm still getting used to the new look, but my phone and iPad are at least as usable (and in some ways easier to use, i.e. the ability to close multiple apps at once. I can't say I'm a fan of the flat icons, but I think the public will make it clear whether or not this is an issue or merely a preference.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 2, 2013, 01:26 PM

iOS 7 has problems, both in terms of aesthetic and implementation.

It's not broken though.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 2, 2013, 01:54 PM

Yep, iOS 7 needs some work, no doubt.
And Apple Maps is starting annoy me to death.
But it's actually a nice OS (once you get passed the colors).
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

flyingfadr  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 2, 2013, 02:14 PM

Yes, it's mostly the look and feel that I'm unhappy with. Of all the years of working with Macs ( since 89 ), this is the FIRST time that Apple has released something which looked and felt less appealing that the previous version. I HOPE they update it with something better, and hope that it's not the lack of vision without Steve Jobs...

Sorry for my first post being negative, but my first time feeling let down as a Mac advocate... :-/

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 2, 2013, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by flyingfadr View Post
Yes, it's mostly the look and feel that I'm unhappy with. Of all the years of working with Macs ( since 89 ), this is the FIRST time that Apple has released something which looked and felt less appealing that the previous version. I HOPE they update it with something better, and hope that it's not the lack of vision without Steve Jobs...

Sorry for my first post being negative, but my first time feeling let down as a Mac advocate... :-/

I don't think it's the first time. Lots of designers bitched about the brushed metal, the skeuomorphic stuff in Mountain Lion, the pinstripes, and on and on.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 2, 2013, 03:31 PM

All of which were the vision under Steve Jobs

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 2, 2013, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
All of which were the vision under Steve Jobs

Why do so many people seem to want to tether the successes of Apple onto a single individual?

andi*pandi
Oct 2, 2013, 03:52 PM

I don't recall designers bitching about the OSX designs, until they became old and tired and trite. Pinstripes were way overdue to go.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 2, 2013, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
I don't recall designers bitching about the OSX designs, until they became old and tired and trite. Pinstripes were way overdue to go.
It's all the same basic argument though.

I just wish designers wouldn't say that the things they dislike the appearance of are objectively terrible. I'm not defending iOS 7 either, this is not about iOS 7, but this sort of sentiment has existed for a long time.

The aesthetics are a part of the user experience and overall satisfaction of using a product, but a better argument for why something is terrible or great from a design vantage point would involve the usability of the product and how the efforts put into the user experience add or detract from overall usability. Otherwise, in the absence of usability arguments, isn't this kind of like saying that a Rolls Royce is terrible because its paint job makes it look ugly?

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 2, 2013, 04:16 PM

I'm fine with not terrible things becoming terrible.

Like Papyrus.

andi*pandi
Oct 2, 2013, 05:26 PM

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSsssssssssssSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 2, 2013, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Why do so many people seem to want to tether the successes of Apple onto a single individual?
He was a figurehead, and since people generally know absolutely nothing about how Apple operates or thinks, they reduce it to the only thing they DO know, which was Steve Jobs.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 2, 2013, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
He was a figurehead, and since people generally know absolutely nothing about how Apple operates or thinks, they reduce it to the only thing they DO know, which was Steve Jobs.

Makes sense, but we are all intelligent individuals, I don't understand this whole notion of Steve Jobs farting magic sprinkles of goodness everywhere.

I'm not claiming that Jobs wasn't brilliant, but Apple is a very big company, it is larger than any one person.

P
Oct 3, 2013, 03:07 AM

Steve Jobs is the Magical Negro of tech industry pundits.They have frequently been wrong about Apple, and rather than accept that they don't understand the consumer market, they basically declare Steve Jobs magic. Note that all the old stories about his emotional ineptitude as a young man began to circulate again as Apple was rising. That's part of the archetype - the "magical" character must be deficient in some other way, to compensate.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

DKeithA
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 4, 2013, 09:44 AM

Just give it a few weeks. It's just different, but it is a better different. I think the aesthetics will evolve. Ive is obviously deconstructing a little. The tech is great, and I'm sure the design will improve.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 4, 2013, 03:42 PM

Why is it that when people bring up user experience, it is always about the aesthetics, and the following other aspects to user experience always seem to get short shrift?

- responsiveness
- UI clarity/efficiency
- visual cues

We all want stuff that looks great and works well, but we shouldn't take for granted that what looks great will work well.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 4, 2013, 04:08 PM

How exactly are these getting the short shrift? I hear people bitch about all these things. Especially responsiveness.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 4, 2013, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
How exactly are these getting the short shrift? I hear people bitch about all these things. Especially responsiveness.

Maybe I just hang out in the wrong places... The aesthetic debate seems to dominate.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 4, 2013, 04:21 PM

To be fair, aesthetically unpleasing things make me physically ill.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 4, 2013, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
To be fair, aesthetically unpleasing things make me physically ill.
Hopefully Turtle777 never decides to show you his stamp collection.
( Last edited by andi*pandi; Oct 4, 2013 at 05:05 PM. Reason: come on now.)

flyingfadr  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 4, 2013, 10:19 PM

The "flat" icons look like play school toys icons... it makes it look and feel as if we went back to the alpha stage of iphone development.

The worst, is trying to use the ipod controls in iOS 7... as a musician, when playing and learning songs, with the pre-iOS 7 versions, the cursor would play, and you could grab the cursor easily, and drag to whatever part of the song you wanted. In iOS 7, TRY to grab the cursor ! It's a tiny red line that you can successfully grab 1 out of 4 times.... and when you DO get ahold of it, and drag it to the desired time in the song, it skips and stutters like you would expect from an iPhone clone...

Other functions of the phone seem fine, but the flat look is cheap and unbefitting of the worlds best phone, and the iPod controls are useless...

Yes, the pin-stripes in early versions of OS X were not the best of looks either... LOL

I just hope that they go the same route with the flat icons and go back to a more hi-tech look... you can argue about how "there's more to the iPhone"... but the "look and feel" is a large part of the complete user experience that helped make the iPhone so successful. WHY would they want to make an iPhone look and act like a Samdung !? I don't get it...

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 5, 2013, 09:05 AM

I'm no fan of the cursor thing either. Playing videos is also a hassle because of this. But I kind of expect that this will get the attention of the folks in Cupertino; there is a LOT of pretty harsh feedback about the flat, minimalist look of the new interface.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules