Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > A FAIL moment for the latest iPhone ad

A FAIL moment for the latest iPhone ad
macintologist
Professional Poster
Apr 21, 2010, 04:00 AM

Original ad link - http://www.apple.com/iphone/gallery/...ckpacker-large

(graphic created by me)

Edit: Let's see if it makes it to the front page of FAILblog. (probably won't)
http://cheezburger.com/View/3438707200
( Last edited by macintologist; Apr 21, 2010 at 04:07 AM. )

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 21, 2010, 07:04 AM

I wonder what the roaming costs would be if you really took you iPhone with you in another country. The fact that you cannot pop in a local prepaid SIM card is the iPhones biggest FAIL.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 21, 2010, 07:57 AM

Huh ?

I'm sure he is in Barcelona, LA 71375

-t

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 21, 2010, 11:11 PM

lol, backpacker.

edit: NERD ALERT!

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 21, 2010, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
I wonder what the roaming costs would be if you really took you iPhone with you in another country. The fact that you cannot pop in a local prepaid SIM card is the iPhones biggest FAIL.
There's a story where someone left on his roaming, and got hit with a $3,000 bill.

Remarkably, AT&T ended up giving the guy a refund.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 22, 2010, 04:09 AM

So what is the fail? The fact an American tourist using his iPhone in Spain is going to rack up a huge phone bill? I'm a little confused here. Granted, I been drinking, so there;s that
Nemo me impune lacesset

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 22, 2010, 04:16 AM

No AT&T in Spain.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Apr 22, 2010, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
There's a story where someone left on his roaming, and got hit with a $3,000 bill.

Remarkably, AT&T ended up giving the guy a refund.
I'm sure I racked up something similar when tethering my BlackBerry in Venezuela. I got an email from my company's phone manager (I was BCC'd so I can't know who all go it) letting me know that international roaming is $15/MB. I spent an entire week tethered and web browsing.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 22, 2010, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
No AT&T in Spain.
Well, that was kind of my point. If an American tourist goes to Spain, wouldn't he bring his American, and thus AT&T, phone with him? I don't buy a new local phone when I'm on vacation. If the guy in the ad lived in Barcelona, and the ad showed an AT&T phone, then that would be a fail. I make it a point not to use my phone at all when I'm on vacation, and I haven't had my iPhone long enough to actually take it out of the country, so maybe I'm missing something.
Nemo me impune lacesset

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 22, 2010, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by ThinkInsane View Post
Granted, I been drinking
Indeed.

Can we have a drunken moderation forum? It'd be like the Lounge, except mods would only be allowed to use their powers under the influence of alcohol.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Apr 22, 2010, 11:38 AM

Well, that was kind of my point. If an American tourist goes to Spain, wouldn't he bring his American, and thus AT&T, phone with him? I don't buy a new local phone when I'm on vacation. If the guy in the ad lived in Barcelona, and the ad showed an AT&T phone, then that would be a fail. I make it a point not to use my phone at all when I'm on vacation, and I haven't had my iPhone long enough to actually take it out of the country, so maybe I'm missing something.
Wouldn't he not have service though, thus not having full 3G coverage?

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 22, 2010, 12:11 PM

AT&T has deals with local providers. Take your US phone to England, and your provider will be Orange or whatever. Spain would be the same way, I just don't know any Spanish providers.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 22, 2010, 12:13 PM

Well, that was kind of my point. If an American tourist goes to Spain, wouldn't he bring his American, and thus AT&T, phone with him? I don't buy a new local phone when I'm on vacation. If the guy in the ad lived in Barcelona, and the ad showed an AT&T phone, then that would be a fail.
Every phone I've owned in the past twelve years, including the iPhone, showed the name of the network it was connected to in the bar at the top.

If there is no AT&T network - and there isn't anywhere outside of the USA (nor, I gather, most places *inside* the USA ) - then there is no way a phone could show "AT&T" in the bar at the top.

If that phone displays "AT&T" at the top, then IT IS NOT OUTSIDE OF THE UNITED STATES.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 22, 2010, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Indeed.

Can we have a drunken moderation forum? It'd be like the Lounge, except mods would only be allowed to use their powers under the influence of alcohol.
In my defense, I don't believe I've ever used my god-like powers while under the influence. And I ate a pile of nastiness at Denny's to sop up some of that loose gin sloshing around my gut, so I could mostly almost type and whatnot. Wasn't in too bad of a condition, just pleasantly buzzed.

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Wouldn't he not have service though, thus not having full 3G coverage?
I have no idea. Last time I was in Barcelona the only thing a cellphone could do is make and receive calls
Nemo me impune lacesset

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 22, 2010, 12:20 PM

In my defense, I don't believe I've ever used my god-like powers while under the influence. And I ate a pile of nastiness at Denny's to sop up some of that loose gin sloshing around my gut, so I could mostly almost type and whatnot. Wasn't in too bad of a condition, just pleasantly buzzed.
Yeah, my phrasing probably could have been a little better. I wasn't trying to imply you had moderated while intoxicated. Just commenting that a sub-forum dedicated to allowing moderators to do so would be entertaining.

-Q-
Apr 22, 2010, 12:26 PM

When I was in London last year, my phone picked up the local service provider (Orange, IIRC) and showed their name in the title bar. So unless he is in Barcelona, CA it is a minor error.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2010, 06:44 PM

It's a recreation, not live.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 22, 2010, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by -Q- View Post
When I was in London last year, my phone picked up the local service provider (Orange, IIRC) and showed their name in the title bar. So unless he is in Barcelona, CA it is a minor error.
Ah, that makes sense. I guess I just assumed that it was branded to your service provider and you'd get some kind of roaming symbol if you traveled. I'll have to watch for that on my next trip and see what it does.

Until I got the iPhone, I'd been on Verizon (since 1992 or so), which was pretty much useless in Europe anyway, so I never saw the provider name change. And as I said, if I'm on vacation, I toss it in my luggage and forget about it anyway. I actually don't remember ever having a phone show what network you were on, ever, which I'm guessing is a difference between cdma and gsm handsets.

FD, your post was taken as intended.
Nemo me impune lacesset

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Apr 22, 2010, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post
WHAT???? Nooooooooo

macintologist  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 22, 2010, 11:27 PM

So what is the fail? The fact an American tourist using his iPhone in Spain is going to rack up a huge phone bill? I'm a little confused here. Granted, I been drinking, so there;s that
1) If the backpacker was actually in Spain writing the e-mail he'd be connected to Telefonica or something.

2) What backpacker would in their right mind pay $25/month for the privilege of using 20MB of roaming data?? Shouldn't the backpacker be sending the email from his hostel's free wifi network?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 23, 2010, 01:59 AM

I actually don't remember ever having a phone show what network you were on, ever, which I'm guessing is a difference between cdma and gsm handsets.
I guess you could put it that way.

that you never saw the provider name appear in you display is primarily due to the fact that there aren't actually any CDMA networks at all outside the USA and China.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 23, 2010, 04:16 AM

Like I said, pretty much useless in Europe anyway. Until I got my iPhone at the beginning of the year, I had never owned a gsm phone. What I meant was, my phones never showed the provider on the screen, anywhere or at any time. It wasn't there. Just a little antenna looking thing and the signal strength and an R if you were roaming. I can't recall them ever saying Verizon on anything but the boot screen.

Anyway, I saw the commercial on tv tonight, and it sounds to me like he's talking about a trip he'd taken, not a trip he was currently on.
Nemo me impune lacesset

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 23, 2010, 08:24 AM

I guess you could put it that way.

that you never saw the provider name appear in you display is primarily due to the fact that there aren't actually any CDMA networks at all outside the USA and China.
And Canada and a bunch of other areas like parts of Central America and the Caribbean IIRC, etc.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 23, 2010, 08:36 AM

So nowhere outside of Northern/central America and China?

Rumor
Apr 23, 2010, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Indeed.

I think I would be great at that. 99% of my posts are while a bit drunk.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Apr 23, 2010, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post
The premise of the commercial is that he's sending the email while in Barcelona.

macintologist  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 23, 2010, 05:35 PM

Anyway, I saw the commercial on tv tonight, and it sounds to me like he's talking about a trip he'd taken, not a trip he was currently on.
Why would he wait until he's come with his family before sending out the pics? The whole point of technology is that you can send them while you're over there.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Apr 23, 2010, 05:49 PM

The voiceover on the commercial as he's sending that email is "...shared pictures as I went."

http://www.apple.com/iphone/gallery/...ckpacker-large

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 24, 2010, 05:04 AM

Everything he's saying is in the past tense, not the present tense.
Nemo me impune lacesset

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 24, 2010, 05:49 AM

So it's a reenactment for our benefit, not live.

And the premise of the commercial is that he sent the email while in Barcelona.

No big deal.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Apr 24, 2010, 06:27 AM

So, nobody spotted the fact that he downloaded a Spanish translator app when he was in Barcelona?
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Apr 24, 2010, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
So, nobody spotted the fact that he downloaded a Spanish translator app when he was in Barcelona?
Nice.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 24, 2010, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Wait, this would have required watching the actual ad, right?

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Apr 24, 2010, 09:37 AM

Wait, this would have required watching the actual ad, right?
Yes. I clicked on the link in the OP.
I know where you're going with this, so:
Did it influence me to buy an iPhone? No.
Is it the first motion ad I've seen this year? No. It's the second... ...I watched this one earlier today to see what all the fuss was about. (No thanks - I'm not into crush injuries!)
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 24, 2010, 06:31 PM

Actually, that wasn't where I meant to go: I simply never bothered to view the ad, myself.

Forum Links
Forum Rules