Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Help turning 5g off?

Help turning 5g off?
Juneappal
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 30, 2006, 01:09 PM

I know this sounds like a dumb question, but I am having a lot of trouble turning off my 5g ipod. The documentation says I should press and hold the play/pause button. Not always, but very often when I do that the screen dims but does not turn off. Then when I release the button it comes on bright again. This happens whether it is playing a track or not when I press the button. I am losing a lot of battery life because I can't consistently turn it off. Other than this, the machine works perfectly. What variable am I overlooking?

dahcar
May 30, 2006, 03:56 PM

weird, that should work. try holding it until it turns off or just pause it and it'll turn off by itself. you're not losing battery life unless you leave it playing.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 30, 2006, 04:25 PM

I never turn my iPod off. I just put it on hold and let it go to sleep by itself after a couple of minutes. I don't have any particular problems with battery life, etc. Now, if your iPod isn't going to sleep properly, that could be a problem.

discotronic
Mac Elite
Jun 1, 2006, 03:38 PM

I have the same issue with my 30GB photo. There doesn't seem to be a fix.

Juneappal  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 1, 2006, 03:50 PM

On another forum, someone told me today to make sure that the finger with which I am depressing the play button is absolutely still - that seems to help a little. Thanks for commiserating, discotronic.

discotronic
Mac Elite
Jun 1, 2006, 04:14 PM

Not a problem

I'm glad you brought it up. I have been meaning to take mine in to the Apple Store and have them look at it. Since I still have 28 days left on the warranty, I might as well take advantage of it.

discotronic
Mac Elite
Jun 1, 2006, 06:42 PM

Well hell. I made the decision to restore my iPod when I got home from work to see if it would fix the problem. It won't restore and now the iPod won't mount. I keep getting an error message stating something like the disk is not recognized. I try to initialize it be that doesn't help. Disk Utility doesn't see anything wrong with it and Disk Warrior keeps hanging up when I try to do anything.

I guess I really need to take it in now. Good thing this happened now and not a month from now.

Forum Links
Forum Rules