Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Mystery Theme File...

Mystery Theme File...
DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2004, 02:33 AM

With the latest versions of both ShapeShifter and OS X, my l'il G4 iMac still takes 30 seconds or so to "find" all the themes to display in the ShapeShifter preference pane. Methinks I need more RAM. Anyway, since I only use 3 or 4 themes on a regular basis, I figured I'd finally delete the ones I never use anymore. And here's the problem.

I've looked in Computer_Name\Library\Themes and also in Usernames\Library\Themes, but can't find one of the themes that is still accessible in SS.

I looked in the "Themes" file for both usernames on my system. I've also done a Finder search for this mystery theme. It's not there. Still, this old theme is accessible and useable in SS.

What am I missing?

Also, do you guys keep your Theme folder at the Computer_Name\ level or the Username\ level? Which is better and why?
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

mrbiiggy2
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 10, 2004, 03:04 AM

Maybe the theme is set invisible? Only thing I can think of `ls ~/Library/Themes/` I guess.. It could even have a . before it or something, accidently.

I stick with putting themes in my home folder now that ShapeShifter supports it.. It's just best to keep all the stuff you're using on your account only in your home folder.. Like if you reinstall OS X and preserve your home folder you'll still have all your themes where they should be. But of course there's other things too like permissions, etc.

Usernames\Library\Themes
BTW... \ = windows. / = everything else

cube3
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 10, 2004, 06:35 AM

I deleted my theme file from where I kept it, I also thought it would be in the theme folder. but it seems SS resources the file from where ever you placed the the guikit. Delete the guikit and voila.

but I also think I missed the point completely.
( Last edited by cube3; Mar 10, 2004 at 06:50 AM. )

HytestA
Mar 10, 2004, 06:41 AM

I keep my themes at the Computer level, only because I have another user account on my machine and it allows all users access then

Have you tried throwing the pref file for SS to force it to create a new list?
...ill get my coat

DigitalEl  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2004, 10:10 AM

NEVERMIND!

Confession time. I never noticed the little + & - widgets below the list of installed themes. I've always tried to manage themes by adding or removing them from the beforementioned "Themes" folder.

Problem solved and I feel stupid.
( Last edited by DigitalEl; Mar 10, 2004 at 10:25 AM. )
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

Jaey
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2004, 01:24 PM

Originally posted by DigitalEl:
I've always tried to manage themes by adding or removing them from the beforementioned "Themes" folder.
I assume you mean "aforementioned" when you say "beforementioned"

wibs
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 10, 2004, 04:15 PM

Originally posted by DigitalEl:
Confession time. I never noticed the little + & - widgets below the list of installed themes. I've always tried to manage themes by adding or removing them from the beforementioned "Themes" folder.
that's per-application-launch management. in other words, hitting the minus button will remove a theme from the list but not the computer, and the next time you open the SS pref pane the theme will be in the list again, which sucks. i wouldn't be surprised if the next version of SS had much better theme management, as its a pretty weak part of it right now and I bet smeger knows it.
( Last edited by wibs; Mar 10, 2004 at 11:30 PM. )
DigitalRamen sucks.

smeger
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2004, 10:54 PM

Originally posted by wibs:
that's per-application-launch management. in other words, hitting the minus button will remove a theme from the list but not the computer, and the next time you open the SS pref pane the theme will be in the list again, which sucks. i wouldn't be surprised if the next version of SS had much better theme management, as its a pretty weak part of it right now and I bet smeger knows it.
I am most definitely aware of the weaknesses of the current method.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

Forum Links
Forum Rules