Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Final Cut Pro 5

Final Cut Pro 5
muchisgiven
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 6, 2005, 03:51 PM

Hey I'm trying to resize a clip during playback. For example I want the clip to begin playing full size and then get smaller then go back to its original size.

I'm trying to create an expose feeling for this DVD that I'm putting together.

sonicularulus
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 6, 2005, 08:45 PM

Simple.
1. double click on the video you want to work with.
2. the video should appear in the viewer. click on the motion tab in the viewer.
3. set the playhead (in the timeline) in the area you want to start.
4 in the motion tab, play with the scale tools. once you are happy with what you want to start with, click on the keyframes tab (the circle button with a diamond inthe middle)
5. move your playhead to where you want the change to end.
6. set the scale properly. The keyframe should be set automatically
Play back the video to make sure everything is done

muchisgiven  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 7, 2005, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by sonicularulus
Simple.
1. double click on the video you want to work with.
2. the video should appear in the viewer. click on the motion tab in the viewer.
3. set the playhead (in the timeline) in the area you want to start.
4 in the motion tab, play with the scale tools. once you are happy with what you want to start with, click on the keyframes tab (the circle button with a diamond inthe middle)
5. move your playhead to where you want the change to end.
6. set the scale properly. The keyframe should be set automatically
Play back the video to make sure everything is done
Thanks I appreciate that...it seems like you are the only person that knew how to do this. I'm gonna try to do it right now.

nayr x
Forum Regular
Dec 7, 2005, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by muchisgiven
Thanks I appreciate that...it seems like you are the only person that knew how to do this. I'm gonna try to do it right now.
(fighting back laughter).....

(Perpetuating detached, existentialist ennui since 2001)

muchisgiven  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 9, 2005, 03:23 AM

Hey man great tutorial. I was able to do exactly what you said. My only problem is that I don't know how to slow down the motion. It moves so fast. I have it exactly the way I would like it, but I just want it to move in at a slower pace. Can you provide any assistance?

sonicularulus
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 12, 2005, 01:58 AM

well, if i were you, there are two ways to do this...you can either:
1. right click (cntl click) on the clip in the timeline and select speed. you can reduce the speed there, however, it will reduce the speed of that clip and not just the motion

or
2. you can change where the start and stop location of the motion movement.

final cut sets where you start and stop the motion.
it has no speed limits, so you have to compensate the time to motion movement ratio proportionally to how you want it.

Baryon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 13, 2005, 08:18 PM

Do you know if Final Cut Express can do this too?

sonicularulus
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 13, 2005, 08:43 PM

sorry but i do not. i never used FCE. However, i heard that lots of final cut pro's features can be found in the express version so you should see if you can do it in the express.

ism
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 14, 2005, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Baryon
Do you know if Final Cut Express can do this too?
FCE can, although keyframing isn't as easy/obvious in FCE. But you certainly can do what the orignal poster asked for following the same instructions with this slight change:

Set the keyframe in the Canvas window, not in the Viewer window.

Also, there is no way I know of moving a keyframe's position in time in FCE so you have to delete and redo.

Baryon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 14, 2005, 03:12 PM

Thanks. That's great.

By the way, ism, do I infer from your signature that you use FCE and Motion on a Powerbook? It's just that I am thinking of getting these programs and I was wondering how resource/memory hungry they are.

ism
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 14, 2005, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Baryon
I was wondering how resource/memory hungry they are.
FCE isn't too bad, but Motion is very since it works in RAM; i.e. everything is loaded in RAM. Depending on what I'm doing in Motion, I have to close FCE sometimes. Mind you, this is on a 12" powerbook which is about the worst machine to run Motion on (because of graphics card), but I knew what it'd be like.

I'd advise a 15" powerbook for Motion/FCE if you go the mobile route. You can get more RAM and better graphics card (which Motion will love). Oh yeah, in case that's not obvious Motion is all about the GPU: A desktop Dual G4 with a good graphics card is just as capable at running motion as a G5 with equivalent graphics card.

I'm happy on a 12" though. I only really suffer in Motion with replicator stuff using source frame offsets. I think this particulary function is more CPU intentsive (than GPU. I guess it's calculation based) and my 1Ghz really struggles.

[EDIT: Re-read question properly]
( Last edited by ism; Dec 15, 2005 at 04:51 AM. )

sonicularulus
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 14, 2005, 07:45 PM

as far as i know, as long as you have at least 512 mb of ram on your system, your going to run fine, given you have a strong enough graphics card. i went to the dv expo and a G5 quad with an nvidia 6600 card caused Motion to lag. so this is an example its about GPU power (graphics processing unit) that determines the performance of the Motion App. I myself am running motion on a DP 2.0 with an ATI 9600, however, i tend to lag after a while. The ram rendering helps, but its time consuming.

Baryon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 15, 2005, 10:50 AM

Thanks. My iMac G5 should cope without any problems then. Now, is FCE likely to be upgraded in the January Mac expo? It has been for the past three years. Or should I be asking this somewhere else?
iMac G5 17in 2.0GHz , 512MB RAM , ATI Radeon 9600 128MB , Mac OS X Tiger / FCE HD / Soundtrack Pro

ism
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 15, 2005, 11:48 AM

It is likely to be. I reckon it will. I could see FCE and iLife (obviously) going to intel ready. Getting FCE intel ready will kind of be a tester for FCP.

I could be wrong of course.

I'm not sure what the improvements will be though in FCE, it usually just lags FCP by a version, in that FCE4 should be based on FCP 5, but what will FCE get from that? Perhaps Livetype2? I doubt Soundtrack Pro. Can't see it getting Multicam. Perhaps native HDV though and Dynamic RT. Tricky one.

Baryon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 15, 2005, 01:24 PM

Interesting. There's only one version of LiveType at the moment isn't there?
Do you think they'll do a cut-down version of DVD Studio Pro to include? As it stands, iDVD can't import Motion projects to be used as motion menus, can it?

If I did get FCE before January, and they did upgrade it, I'd be stuck with the old version wouldn't I?

Thanks for your helpful comments.

(Edit: I've started a separate thread to keep within the rules...)
( Last edited by Baryon; Dec 15, 2005 at 03:11 PM. )
iMac G5 17in 2.0GHz , 512MB RAM , ATI Radeon 9600 128MB , Mac OS X Tiger / FCE HD / Soundtrack Pro

ism
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 15, 2005, 03:23 PM

I wouldn't worry. This is sensible thread.

Forum Links
Forum Rules