Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > tryptophan hits the big time!

tryptophan hits the big time!
BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 27, 2006, 12:18 AM

It seemed to me this year that everyone was talking about tryptophan in turkey. Did this all of a sudden become the big Thanksgiving joke, or did I miss it in previous years?

PowerPc = Pwnage
Forum Regular
Nov 27, 2006, 12:19 AM

They talked about it last year, even made it to a commercial for a travel agency or something. Like triptoaustrailia, triptofrance, triptocalifornia or something like that.

"Oh! You smell good, what is that? Macintosh."-http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2006/03/03

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 27, 2006, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by Wikipedia
According to popular belief, tryptophan in turkey meat causes drowsiness[9]. Turkey does contain tryptophan, which does have a documented sleep-inducing effect as it is readily converted into serotonin by the body. However, tryptophan is effective only when taken on its own as a dietary supplement. Tryptophan in turkey is found as part of a protein, and, in small enough amounts, this mechanism seems unlikely.
From Wikipedia: Tryptophan

Also, they probably recently re-ran the Seinfeld episode in which Jerry uses turkey and boxed wine to gain access to his girlfriend's "toys," thus keeping it in your relatives' minds. Or your relatives are just really lame, and like dated humor ca. mid-1990s.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

euchomai
Mac Elite
Nov 27, 2006, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by BRussell View Post
It seemed to me this year that everyone was talking about tryptophan in turkey. Did this all of a sudden become the big Thanksgiving joke, or did I miss it in previous years?
Seinfeld made it famous to me. He wanted to play with his girlfriend's classic toy collection so he gave her wine and turkey. Very funny episode!

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 27, 2006, 09:02 AM

It was already making its rounds when Seinfeld mentioned it.

BRussell  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 27, 2006, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
From Wikipedia: Tryptophan

Also, they probably recently re-ran the Seinfeld episode in which Jerry uses turkey and boxed wine to gain access to his girlfriend's "toys," thus keeping it in your relatives' minds. Or your relatives are just really lame, and like dated humor ca. mid-1990s.
I was talking about hearing it on the news and on TV and seeing it on the internet a lot this year.

BRussell  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 27, 2006, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar² View Post
It was already making its rounds when Seinfeld mentioned it.
I wonder if that was the first reference to it, and if so, where they came up with it. In any case it now seems to have taken on a life of its own. Apparently it's utterly bogus, as it says in that wikipedia entry, but when I've heard it mentioned people only say it half-jokingly at best. Weird. The life of an urban legend.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 27, 2006, 12:27 PM

No, not the first. Otherwise the joke would have been a bust.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 27, 2006, 01:16 PM

Not nearly the first. I remember talking it over at my family's Thanksgiving 7-8 years ago (my aunt is a biochemist).
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

BRussell  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 27, 2006, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by MacNStein View Post
Not nearly the first. I remember talking it over at my family's Thanksgiving 7-8 years ago (my aunt is a biochemist).
That Seinfeld episode would have been before that, because the show went off the air around that time.

Railroader
Banned
Nov 27, 2006, 01:53 PM

BRussell: it's just you.

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Nov 27, 2006, 02:21 PM

I first heard about tryptophan some 15 or 20 years ago and I can recall seeing commercials mentioning this for years. Its not a new discovery and companies have been using it in their marketing for years.
Michael

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 27, 2006, 02:25 PM

That Seinfeld episode would have been before that, because the show went off the air around that time.
I suppose that's possible, but I can't imagine them watching Seinfeld. Most of them lock the TV to the Science and/or History channel. Network television is an illness.

I just remember the conversation, and her saying something to the effect of, "there's a chemical called tryptophan in turkey, but you'd have to eat 10lbs to see any side effects... and your stomach would likely explode long before then". (Images of The Meaning of Life)
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 27, 2006, 02:49 PM

I think it's every year that people talk about tryptophan - the topic that never seems to go away regardless of scientific fact. I suppose consuming thousands of calories in one sitting would make anyone tired - but the turkey always gets blamed.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

cybergoober
Mac Elite
Nov 27, 2006, 02:55 PM

Yeah, the drowsiness is most likely from carb overload.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 27, 2006, 02:58 PM

And alcohol.

And having to talk to your family.

BRussell  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 27, 2006, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
BRussell: it's just you.
Dammit! You people have had threads on tryptophan without me for all these years!

BRussell  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 27, 2006, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by MacNStein View Post
I suppose that's possible, but I can't imagine them watching Seinfeld. Most of them lock the TV to the Science and/or History channel. Network television is an illness.

I just remember the conversation, and her saying something to the effect of, "there's a chemical called tryptophan in turkey, but you'd have to eat 10lbs to see any side effects... and your stomach would likely explode long before then". (Images of The Meaning of Life)
OK OK I get it, you want everyone to know how great and smart your family is. Fantastic. But I'm wondering when this myth started. No one would comment on it unless it was already out there. Your brilliant incredible fantastic family wouldn't have mentioned it at all unless someone else had somewhere. And dakar is probably right that Seinfeld wouldn't have referred to it unless it was already out there either.

Railroader
Banned
Nov 27, 2006, 03:36 PM

Dammit! You people have had threads on tryptophan without me for all these years!
You must have missed the little check box in your user profile about allowing discussions about tryptophan. I saw it when I switched from my old nick to this one.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 27, 2006, 05:22 PM

OK OK I get it, you want everyone to know how great and smart your family is. Fantastic. But I'm wondering when this myth started. No one would comment on it unless it was already out there. Your brilliant incredible fantastic family wouldn't have mentioned it at all unless someone else had somewhere. And dakar is probably right that Seinfeld wouldn't have referred to it unless it was already out there either.
Damn fella, cut down in the stimulants.

Sounds like someone has a case of the Mondays!
- Thomas Paine

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 27, 2006, 05:27 PM

I never thought I'd live to see the day we fought about Tryptophan.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 27, 2006, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by RAILhead View Post
I never thought I'd live to see the day we fought about Tryptophan.
You're a fool. The warning signs were clearly there.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 27, 2006, 05:42 PM

Not new, but it seems more and more people joke/talk about it each year.

-Owl

Railroader
Banned
Nov 27, 2006, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar² View Post
You're a fool. The warning signs were clearly there.
I am surprised it didn't happen before Thanksgiving.

PowerPc = Pwnage
Forum Regular
Nov 27, 2006, 08:57 PM

Heh Dakar, I remember that episode of Futurama... "goodbye moderation!"

"Oh! You smell good, what is that? Macintosh."-http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2006/03/03

ambush
Banned
Nov 27, 2006, 09:34 PM

oops
( Last edited by ambush; Nov 27, 2006 at 09:41 PM. )

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Nov 28, 2006, 12:53 AM

Whenever anybody in my family mentions that, I always quickly correct them. It's the big meal that makes you sleepy, not tryptophan. Then there's usually an awkward silence.

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Forum Links
Forum Rules