Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > migrating from windows to mac osx

migrating from windows to mac osx
little a
Feb 22, 2007, 07:33 PM

hello all

i've recently purchased my first modern mac (my first computer was a performa) and i'm getting my feet wet with OSX.

is there a way to migrate settings/preferences/bookmarks from windows thunderbird/firefox over to the same aps in OSX? probably not but i figure i'd give it a shot anyway. thanks

alfio

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2007, 09:16 PM

I'd do a google search for the Thunderbird part...

However easiest way to do Firefox is Download Google's browser sync plugin. Install it on your PC, let it download your preferences... install it next to your mac and it will transfer all your logins, cookies and bookmarks to the mac. I use this to keep my mac and pc browsers synced at all times.

StickClicks
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 23, 2007, 11:01 PM

For anything you need to transfer from mozzila. Awesome app. Congrats on the mac!

It is cross platform

MozBackup - Ein Backup-Tool f�r Mozilla, Mozilla Firefox, Mozilla Thunderbird und Netscape-Profile

little a  (op)
Feb 24, 2007, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by StickClicks View Post
For anything you need to transfer from mozzila. Awesome app. Congrats on the mac!

It is cross platform

MozBackup - Ein Backup-Tool f�r Mozilla, Mozilla Firefox, Mozilla Thunderbird und Netscape-Profile
is it? i tried it on my pc and it worked fine but i couldn't figure out how to do this on the mac. it may be my inadequate OSX skills or i may not be downloading the mac version (?) any ideas?

alfio

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 24, 2007, 08:22 PM

OS X is easy. I couldn't see a Mac version either. Thunderbird and Firefox use profile directories, if you copy them over and direct the profile.ini to use those folders, voila, it'll load everything perfectly.

I can't remember where they are but Mozilla have it documented on their website.

little a  (op)
Feb 25, 2007, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by seanc View Post
OS X is easy. I couldn't see a Mac version either. Thunderbird and Firefox use profile directories, if you copy them over and direct the profile.ini to use those folders, voila, it'll load everything perfectly.

I can't remember where they are but Mozilla have it documented on their website.

i can take the profile folders from my PC and install them in the firefox profile in my mac? that can't be right, can it?

t.d
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 25, 2007, 02:14 AM

I made a similar thread here

http://forums.macnn.com/82/applicati...ned-off-my-pc/

this link helped me move my emails over from my PC to my mac.

Moving your profile folder - MozillaZine Knowledge Base

Ruf993Turbo
Feb 25, 2007, 04:33 AM

.mac has a bookmark back up/sharing capability

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 25, 2007, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by little a View Post
i can take the profile folders from my PC and install them in the firefox profile in my mac? that can't be right, can it?
It has worked flawlessly for me between Windows and Linux so I see no reason why OS X would be different.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 25, 2007, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Ruf993Turbo View Post
.mac has a bookmark back up/sharing capability

So does Firefox in the Foxmarks extension, which is free...

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 25, 2007, 01:35 PM

Mozilla has taken great pains to ensure that their products are completely identical between platforms, using their XUL GUI scheme... The applications should operate completely identical between platforms, so the fact it is running on OS X as opposed to Windows or Linux should be irrelevant the vast majority of times.

jough
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 25, 2007, 09:12 PM

Most Mozilla settings are stored in XML files, so they should be totally cross-platform.

I'll try migrating this week when my MacBook arrives.

Forum Links
Forum Rules