Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Backpack / bag / sleeve for your Mac Notebook? *Look here*

Backpack / bag / sleeve for your Mac Notebook? *Look here* (Page 16)
erio
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 18, 2005, 12:48 AM

i emailed that reviewer about a mistake he made on the bag. according to the reviewer, there is a "buckle-type faste[ne]r to secure over your waist". believe it or not, that is not for your waist!!! it is a "wheelie" strap that secures your bag onto a wheeled luggage! trust me folks, i had that thing strapped on me and i look like a fool
it felt weird having it around me. so i decided to investigate (which the reviewer should've done) and found the answer on brenthaven's faq page. btw, the bag deserves

Originally Posted by iDORK
The Brenthaven Fusion Flex looks awesome. Check this site's review on it:

http://www.laptoplogic.com/reviews/gear/120/1/1/

Lucky8
Forum Regular
Aug 21, 2005, 12:10 AM

Anyone got this Tumi T3 small backpack for their 12" iBook?
Check out http://www.tumi.com/backpacks_messen...?modelid=52166
I wonder if it fits.

tracemhunter
Forum Regular
Aug 21, 2005, 03:39 PM

i ordered a waterfield sleeve friday night with 2-day air but they wont shipt till monday. i will let yall know how it turns out and if it fits in my new north face bag.

Bruck
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 21, 2005, 03:45 PM

please do, i want to order a sleeve for inside my north face bag next week, can you take digital pics and post them here ?

Thanks.
| MBA Student | MacAddict | CarAddict | PhotoNut | Dork | PhishHead |

tracemhunter
Forum Regular
Aug 22, 2005, 12:03 PM

well i called just now and they have not shipped out yet. the rumors are true. the customer service is amazing! it is so good to call customer service and talk to someone with a personality that speaks english i can understand. apple is the same way

o bruck, btw, yes i will post pics... once the outlets in the house start working (like half the apartments outlets just stopped working last night) so hopefully my web server will be back up by the time it arrives. otherwise i can just email them to you.

JMan09
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 24, 2005, 03:03 AM

Has anyone used the timbuk2 comute bag or the laptop messenger bag? I was wondering if either of these could hold a few college books and some notebooks along with a 12" PBook(in a sleeve maybe) and maybe the power cord if its a long day at school.
Thanks for any help.
32GB iPad 2 | 32GB iPhone 4 | 11' MacBook Air 1.6 i5, 4GB, 128GB SSD

Bruck
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 24, 2005, 08:14 AM

I have the timbuk2 commute bag. It would hold a notebook and maybe a small paperback text book. The padded section is a little tight for a sleeve, but doesnt REALLY need it as long as you strap the bag in, however i once dropped my bag and it landed on the top of itself and dented my powerbook, so im not sure i like the protection since it leaves the top of it unprotected.

I am in grad school and i don't use it for school. I've found that all that weight on one shoulder is really annoying.
| MBA Student | MacAddict | CarAddict | PhotoNut | Dork | PhishHead |

tracemhunter
Forum Regular
Aug 24, 2005, 01:18 PM

ok bruck. here are the pics. the sleeve just came in a few minutes ago. the thing is made with superb quality and is very soft. there is some time of foam inside to absorb shock. get this sleeve. its the best.

brent0saurus
Sep 5, 2005, 10:14 AM

All i know is that i bought the sling pack from incase and i couldn't be more happy with it. It's very high quality. All of the stitching and seams look very strong and the protection is fantastic. They also have lots of room for other stuff in pockets where you wouldn't imagine there could even be a pocket. Also, the part of the bag that touches your back is very breathable. Most bags make my back sweaty but not this one(unless it's a really hot day of course). Also, the zippers are covered with neoprene so they don't scratch your laptop. You can order it from the apple store for 60 or 70 bucks. My philosophy is if you're going to spend money on a mac, don't try to save money on something that's going to protect it. Get the best for your baby.
although i have to admit that when i first bought my powerbook, i couldn't afford a case for it yet, being a college student, so i wrapped it in some of my sweaters until i could afford one. (but they were my most finely knit sweaters!!)

moneymac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 6, 2005, 11:15 AM

I was looking for a case, bag, sleeve for my 12" Powerbook,
and I came across this on Ebay "Apple Retro 12" Powerbook laptop bag case"
Now I think I could get away with when being Funky doing Art stuff.
But my banking clients might think I'll look like a freak.
WHAT DO YOU THINK PLAY OR PASS ?

m3transporter
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 12, 2005, 10:14 PM

My Tucano sleeve came in today, and i like it so far. I got the red one for some unknown reason ... well, i like red. It seems like its gonna do what i want it to do, protect my powerbook from my textbooks.

23.95 shipped from Academic Superstore.

kwork
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 13, 2005, 12:21 AM

After looking at tons of backpacks everyone is reviewing, I am still having trouble finding a good backpack for a 17inch aluminum. Most of these backpacks seem to small. Is there a definate choice when it comes to this bigger laptop.

thanks for the help,

-K

zl9600
Forum Regular
Sep 25, 2005, 04:19 PM

how about the axio? axio-usa.com

the hybrid is the one i'm looking at. but i have not heard back from them as to whether it will fit "underneath the seat in front of me...." on a plane. also looking at the fuse for that. but these look like the better ones out there. i simply cannot use my timbuk2 messenger bag with the timbuk2 sleeve for my PB17 any longer--it is too heavy and i need something more equal on my back.
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are
missing.

zl9600
Forum Regular
Sep 25, 2005, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Radio Code
Has anyone here purchased a Timbuk2 Laptop Messenger bag? I'm trying to compare the differences between the medium Classic, the medium Commute, and the medium Laptop Messenger. I spent time today checking out the Commute and Classic in a store: I really like the extra pockets and padding in the Commute, but like the space and color options of the Classic better. I have a Marware Sharkskin sleeve for my 12" PB, but while I expect that to protect against scratches, scuffs, and general pressure, I don't know how much it would help in the case of a bag-drop with just the Class bag. Likewise, I don't know if that'd be overkill with the Commute or Laptop Messenger.
i have had a timbuk2 XL messenger bag for 10 years. when i got a laptop, i used to throw it in there. i bought a timbuk2 sleeve for my PB17, and i throw it in there. however, it's pretty messy, it's hard to manage, and the XL is HEAVY even when empty. the bag has held up over the years, but i'm moving over to a smaller backpack. the timbuk2 msgr bag plus laptop sleeve is too much for airline trips, and gets too heavy.
missing.

iluvmymactoo
Forum Regular
Oct 2, 2005, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by jms698
Wow. It looks like just the sleeve I'm looking for. From the dimensions it seems to be the only sleeve which perfectly fits the 12" Powerbook. All other sleeve cases are way bigger (so that they can fit other 12 laptops).

However, I wonder, could the zippers scratch the laptop? Is there a lip between zipper and laptop? Is there protection for the laptop being dropped on it's side (same question really)? What does the inside of the case look like?

iluvmymactoo, could you post some close-up pictures?
Sorry I'm not subscribed to this thread.

There is a lip all the way around this sleeve which prevents the zip coming into contact with your Powerbook. It also serves as a seal against outside elements so the sleeve would be water proof if you got caught in a shower.

The sleeve is the exact colour inside and out.
PowerBook 12" Combo 1.5Ghz 1.25GB Ram 100GB HDD - Yep it's PPC! I'll wait for the 3rd generation MacTel when they're at their best :)

iluvmymactoo
Forum Regular
Oct 2, 2005, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by jms698
Wow. It looks like just the sleeve I'm looking for. From the dimensions it seems to be the only sleeve which perfectly fits the 12" Powerbook. All other sleeve cases are way bigger (so that they can fit other 12 laptops).

However, I wonder, could the zippers scratch the laptop? Is there a lip between zipper and laptop? Is there protection for the laptop being dropped on it's side (same question really)? What does the inside of the case look like?

iluvmymactoo, could you post some close-up pictures?
Sorry I'm not subscribed to this thread.

There is a lip all the way around this sleeve which prevents the zip coming into contact with your Powerbook. It also serves as a seal against outside elements so the sleeve would be water proof if you got caught in a shower.

Your Powerbook is very well protected against bumps and such. Not sure about dropping it though, but if you're willing to give it a try ....

The sleeve is the exact colour inside and out.
PowerBook 12" Combo 1.5Ghz 1.25GB Ram 100GB HDD - Yep it's PPC! I'll wait for the 3rd generation MacTel when they're at their best :)

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 6, 2005, 05:39 PM

check out this briefcase:

pretty sweet imo... and starting at only $49! the only things missing are pockets (i guess you could stash a few documents under your powerbook) and a shoulder strap.

MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | Clamshell iBook G3 366MHz | 22" Cinema Display | iPod Mini | iPod shuffle | AirPort Express | Mighty Mouse

zl9600
Forum Regular
Oct 7, 2005, 02:46 PM

no shoulder strap option (although i see the sleek/retro-ish design reason here) = no go for me
missing.

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 7, 2005, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by zl9600
no shoulder strap option (although i see the sleek/retro-ish design reason here) = no go for me
i was fortunate to inherit a computer briefcase that has the hardware bits and a strap so i will use them. i should be able to cleanly drill some holes. sucks i gotta do it myself but at $50 bucks i'll take it.

MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | Clamshell iBook G3 366MHz | 22" Cinema Display | iPod Mini | iPod shuffle | AirPort Express | Mighty Mouse

malcolm
Oct 13, 2005, 01:24 PM

Here's what I'm looking for - - a very SLIM version of a backpack, that JUST needs to hold (and cushion) my powerbook (15").
I bike to and from work. I have a power adapter at home and another one at the office, so I don't need space for one of those; I don't need (or want) space for files or hard drives or anything else either - - I just want to be able to carry my powerbook (and nothing else) on my back, with as little bulk/weight/wind-drag, etc. possible.
Any suggestions?
Thanks so much,
malcolm

mad cow disease
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 16, 2005, 01:23 PM

I grabbed a "Very Busy Man" laptop bag from Crumpler, but the thing is just too damned bulky and it swings around my body...it can sure hold a LOT, though

Looking into a briefcase-type deal with some room for maybe a power adapter, a few CDs and a mouse, but anybody have a suggestion? I had the Matias "Laptop Armor" in mind but I'm concerned whether there is enough room for the adapter AND the computer - I don't want the adapter pressing down on the laptop.

The MaxProtect II looks nice but where do I put the power adapter?
( Last edited by mad cow disease; Oct 16, 2005 at 01:29 PM. )

Darthmaul4114
Forum Regular
Oct 22, 2005, 09:55 PM

so after reading 16 pages, and some reviews i have pretty much decided on one of two cases. i have narrowed them down to the brenthaven fusion flex and the spire endo. both seem to be fairly similar, but i wanted to see if any of you guys have experience with either of the bags. as of now i think i am leaning more towards the fusion flex because i've found more detailed reviews on the bag and how well it is made.

*edit* i ordered the fusion flex
( Last edited by Darthmaul4114; Oct 23, 2005 at 06:53 PM. )
1.5Ghz 15" Alluminum Powerbook, 1.5Gb RAM, 64mb VRAM
iPod 4g 40GB
Dell 2405FPW

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2005, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by malcolm
Here's what I'm looking for - - a very SLIM version of a backpack, that JUST needs to hold (and cushion) my powerbook (15").
I bike to and from work. I have a power adapter at home and another one at the office, so I don't need space for one of those; I don't need (or want) space for files or hard drives or anything else either - - I just want to be able to carry my powerbook (and nothing else) on my back, with as little bulk/weight/wind-drag, etc. possible.
Any suggestions?
Thanks so much,
malcolm
you might want to look at the axio tekno.

it's a hard plastic case (very protective) and is not big.
i have one at home that i do not use anymore because for me and my books, it is too small. you can have it for $60 shipped (normally $125). i'll send you photos if you want.

but i digress.

the backpack is good, it has a slot on the back for a laptop and a holder for an ipod.

photos

Darthmaul4114
Forum Regular
Oct 28, 2005, 06:48 PM

i got my fusion flex via ups yesterday. it is a very well made and good bag, but i have to say that it is WAY too big for what little stuff it can carry. i am returning it with full refund soon.
1.5Ghz 15" Alluminum Powerbook, 1.5Gb RAM, 64mb VRAM
iPod 4g 40GB
Dell 2405FPW

macanon
Oct 29, 2005, 07:04 PM

I just got a sleeve with my Timbuk2, works great. Perfect.

tether
Forum Regular
Nov 6, 2005, 05:47 PM

i'm looking for a sleeve with a shoulder strap. do any of the ones available through the apple store have a shoulder strap? - none of them seem to specify it.

(asking specifically about through the applestore since i'm guessing a lot of the bags are stateside, and i dont like to give my credit card details on the interweb - but if its apple, i can just give them a call here)

tether
Forum Regular
Nov 6, 2005, 05:47 PM

i'm looking for a sleeve with a shoulder strap. do any of the ones available through the apple store have a shoulder strap? - none of them seem to specify it.

(asking specifically about through the applestore since i'm guessing a lot of the bags are stateside, and i dont like to give my credit card details on the interweb - but if its apple, i can just give them a call here)

tether
Forum Regular
Nov 6, 2005, 05:49 PM

tether
Forum Regular
Nov 6, 2005, 05:49 PM

tether
Forum Regular
Nov 6, 2005, 05:50 PM

tether
Forum Regular
Nov 6, 2005, 05:51 PM

tether
Forum Regular
Nov 6, 2005, 05:52 PM

tether
Forum Regular
Nov 6, 2005, 05:53 PM

kingjules
Nov 7, 2005, 05:06 AM

i have had a messenger crumpler bag, but i found it very uncomfortable, and way too pricey. so i am looking for something a bit more practical and not very expensive.
Eat More Fruit, Buy Apple

lafiamma
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 8, 2005, 11:06 AM

I am also researching a bag for 17" powerbook. I have to admit, a lot of those bags just go as far to accomodate the 15" range leaving out the 17".

Basically I am just asking if anyone has got a Booq Boa 2006 bag. For those of you who have missed it, Booq Boa 2006 XM can actually fit a 17" (as stated here http://www.booqbags.com/Search.bok?category=Backpacks) eventhough they have a model (XL) for 17".

I even wrote to booq to confirm this and asked specifically and this is their replied email.

"The 17" PowerBook will fit into the Boa.XM fine, it's not too tight. The
Vyper XL will not fit into the Boa.XM however. Hope this helps! "

Now my questions is I wonder if i can put my 17" inside a sleeve like STM Glove or Rebound and still manage to get it inside an XM. I have already emailed them and asked, just waiting to heard it from them.

And if anyone has got either a Booq Box 2006 XM or XL, it would be great if you could post some picture here as well as it seemed weird to me that in booq site, the pic for both models are the same. Tried google but not much is showing up.

Thanks in advance
( Last edited by lafiamma; Nov 8, 2005 at 11:14 AM. )

lafiamma
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 9, 2005, 08:57 AM

This is the reply email fro Booq i got today

"The reason the laptop (17" Powerbook) can fit is because the Boa (XM) can flex a little to
accommodate the longer dimension; however, unless your sleeve is very
minimal - which would be unusual because most sleeves need to provide at
least a little cushioning - we could not say there would be any extra room
for a sleeve, and we would advise against over-stretching the laptop
compartment as that could put unnecessary pressure on the zippers."
( Last edited by lafiamma; Nov 10, 2005 at 09:58 AM. )

billau
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 10, 2005, 12:00 AM

I am looking for a sleeve case for my 15" AL Powerbook. After going through all 16 pages
of this thread. I have it narrow down to a three. The Tim Bihn sleeve cases seem to
offer the most protection. But I carry my Powerbook both in a messager case and a backpack,
so I need one case that will work in both orientation. I am now trying to decide among
the Booq Vyper M, Waterfield, and the STM Rebound. It is kind of hard to tell which one offers more protection from just reading the description from the vendors' web site.
Any comments or recommendations?

lafiamma
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 10, 2005, 02:46 AM

I haven't "touch" a Waterfield before. I owned a Vyper and an STM Glove but I would go for Rebound as Booq's Vyper is not really a sleeve, it is more of a semi hard compressed case . Rebound would provide more protection when compared to STM Glove as rebound is thicker.

iluvmymactoo
Forum Regular
Nov 10, 2005, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by billau
.... I am now trying to decide among the Booq Vyper M, Waterfield, and the STM Rebound. It is kind of hard to tell which one offers more protection from just reading the description from the vendors' web site.
Any comments or recommendations?
Go for the Rebound. It has a polyurethane surround (memory foam) that absorbs bumps and so forth very well. The Vyper is only a hard sleeve whilst the Waterfield IMO is just an over priced sleeve.

kingjules
Nov 11, 2005, 05:07 AM

So if i understand, for a sleeve, i need a Rebound for my PB15.
What about my backpack? still stuck. I took a look a boblee, but they are way to ... "special".
What backpack do you have?
Eat More Fruit, Buy Apple

billau
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 11, 2005, 11:06 PM

For those with a Rebound, how rigid is it? Does it offer enough side-impact protection,
especially at the corners? It seems to me that a rigid sleeve like the Vyper will do a better
job in that case.

roadracr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 11, 2005, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by tether

The Waterfield sleeve is available with a strap option. I have owned the sleeve, along with a Waaterfield Cargo bag, for about 8 months now and the quality and utility are excellent.
G4 PB15, 1.67 GHz, 512 MB RAM, 128 MB VRAM, 100 GB HD
G4 iMac20, 1.25 GHz, 768 MB RAM, 160 MB HD

lafiamma
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 12, 2005, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by billau
For those with a Rebound, how rigid is it? Does it offer enough side-impact protection,
especially at the corners? It seems to me that a rigid sleeve like the Vyper will do a better
job in that case.
Imagine Rebound as a piece of high density sponge, structure-less cloth that wraps around your laptop. Shock wise, rebound is better. Side-impact wise, vyper is better due to the semi-rigid nature of the case acting like a soft shell. But don't bet your money in it if it is a "long" fall. Cause sometimes, during a fall, it is not the point of contact that damages a laptop but the vibration from the fall that causes damage to other delicate part of the laptop.

Vyper case feels more like two moulded compressed cardboards hold together with the zip and it might offer some shock protection but minimal. Though from picture, vyper case looks rigid, solid and strong but it does flex easily. To me, I would use vyper to serve as a scratch protection case and looks cool. In a short fall, I would want to be protected by Rebound. In a long one, my prediction is that even if vyper can protect the side, the vibration from the fall would cause damage to other part of the laptop.

Hope this helps. Sorry if my explanations are hard to understand but english is not my first language.

azbigfella
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 14, 2005, 07:55 AM

Wow, what a rich, info-laden thread. This has been an outstanding resource for me as I tried to find the perfect bag (which as you all know is not easy...). What I landed on was the Brenthaven Pro 12/15 (for a new 15" 1.67 DL PBook) -- extra storage, but not too much, ideal size for overhead or under seats on airlines, plenty of pockets, excellent padding and protection, one of the lightest (if not the lightest) cases available, strong, rugged construction, comfy shoulder strap, and a lifetime warranty... BUT a little pricey ($139USD). However, with this bag, I found you get MORE than what you pay for...
Thanks,
AZB
Performa 6300/133/64M/4G; G3/600 iMac Graphite 768M/60G; G4/800 eMac1G/80G; G5 2.0DP/4.5G/420G dual display: 20" and 23"HD; and G4/1.67 PBook15" hi-res 2G/80G; running Mac OS X (10.4.3); my Macs are like my children -- I love them all equally even though some people might think a couple of them are ugly and a little slow, but my new 15" G4 PBook (2G RAM) ROCKS!!!!

iluvmymactoo
Forum Regular
Nov 14, 2005, 04:16 PM

Just a heads up on the Shinza Zeroshock sleeves.

The new version that is now being sold is no longer suitable for a 12" Powerbook. What Shinza have done is insert a wire frame into the piping around each of the corners. What this means is the 12" sleeve (which use to be perfect for a 12" Powerbook) cannot be stretched to fit your 12" iBook like the previous model could. So what Shinza have done to compensate for this is create the 12" sleeve to perfectly fit a 12" iBook, which means it is now too big for a 12" Powerbook (much the same as the issue of the 12" Booq Vyper and Crumpler School Hymn).

They do have an 11" version (internal dimensions (W x D x H): 10.63 x 1.57 x 8.27 inches (270 x 40 x 210 mm)) but considering it cannot be stretched if it is a little small for your Powerbook ordering this size may be a bit risky.

pixelwizard
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 17, 2005, 04:47 PM

The New 2006 Booq Boa XL System Review

I wanted to throw up my own review of my experience with Booq and the new 2006 Boa XL. I spent a decent amount of time researching bags before I decided on this one. Expensive? Yes, it's a bag forgodsake and you know it costs them less than half that to make. That aside, The Boa XL is quality made bag. It's the largest bag Booq makes and I'm using it with a new 15.2 inch powerbook. The bag is put together extremely well with waterproof zippers, quality materials and lots of little pockets. The one thing I wish is that it was a little larger in depth. The bag only feels like it's 5 inchs in depth even though the website claims 8. A stack of 6 college style books, I don't know about but I can defintely get all my little toys in there along with a full size external lacie harddrive and full size horizontal based 3.5 inch external hard disk. Being a little large in the depth would afford the ability to put those items in as well as a stack of books, even if they allowed it to expand an extra couple inches with a zipper system, similar to a suitcase. The outer most pocket does expand open, but it's attached at the bottom, so the bottom depth of the bag remains the same and therefore your limited to the bottom depth. Keep in mind I'm not talking about width and height but rather "Depth". Other than that it's a wonderfully made bag. I considered the Brethaven Pro Video 17 which appears to be slightly larger but not much but almost 4 inches larger interms of depth. Try and find one at an apple store if you want. I also got the Viper L for my 15 inch. First and foremost the Vyper is simply a hard shell with a little bit of flex, it's just molded nylon, think of it like an egg shell. There is no interior plushy padding or neoprene. So don't expect it to protect your powerbook on any level from an accidental drop. It will however prevent against scratches as any sleeve will. Again, think of it like an egg shell. In that regard I think it's overpriced and isn't clearly described reflecting this detail on their website. If they were to add about a .5 inch of padding on the inside it would be worth it's wait in gold but in it's current state, I was a little dissapointed. Also keep in mind, size matters. I bought the Large Viper thinking that the padding on the inside would keep it nice and snug. But there is no padding so if you have a 15" powerbook get the Viper M because otherwise your laptop will slide around on the inside. I ultimately returned mine and got a powersleeve. I haven't received it yet but I gather it has limited padding in it beyond that of the viper and allows me the ability to quickly sling it over the shoulder and go if I want to. Booq is a relatively new company. They are still feeling their way around methods and such in the case of returns, shipping, etc. On top of that expect an added premium tacked onto this years models from last year even if the bag looks nearly the same. Like I said, they're a new company probably not more than a year or two old. Also, they tack a profit margin onto their shipping in addition to their product line of roughly 20%. That's why their shipping charges are so high although in certain instances I've noticed it can be more than that. Is it deceptive, yes, if they wanted more for their product all they have to do is list it for more instead of hiding it in the shipping. Why do they do that? My guess is they offer a lifetime warranty on their bags. What does that mean? If you have a defective product you as the customer keeps it and they send you out a replacement of the exact same product free of charge and free of shipping. This is how it works. You and I both know a lifetime warranty is only as good as the company selling the product. 15 years down the road if the company is no longer around warranties don't mean much. Given this methodology my guess is they want to make their money back on these instances to cover their costs. Is this fair? Yes and No, No it's not fair in that every new customer shouldn't have to cover the costs of any of their "faulty" products (the costs involved in shipping out a new product free of charge as well as doing so free shipping on behalf of the customer who has the faulty product and letting them retain their faulty bag). It is fair in that you know if you get a hold of one of these faulty bags that you can call em up and they'll send you a new one free of charge clear and free and let you keep the faulty product. Eitherway deceptive tactics like hiding profit in shipping is not the way to run a company. If you need to charge more for your product to sustain yourselves as a company all you have to do is increase the cost of your bags fair and square and if people still want to buy they will. To say to them after the fact that they didn't have to buy direct is no excuse and certainly not a way to help to promote your own products.

With that said, the bag is a great bag but I imagine someone who'd by the Brethaven Pro Video 17 would say the same. Booq is a little more stylish but after all guys, a bag is a bag, and first and foremost it should be able to make you totally portable whether your using your laptop for video and need to stuff additional hard drives in the bag along with some books and extra stuff, or your just a student who needs a bag that will carry your laptop with a load of 2.5 deep text books. Both these bags aren't the greatest with the 2.5 inch deep textbooks because their base depth is often times locked to 5 inches, that's certainly the case with the Boa XL and to a certain degree the Brethaven Pro Video 17. Other than that The Boa XL is wonderfuly padded in the laptop compartment as well as all the interior compartments. I definitely get the idea that my laptop will be protected and currently I just slide my 15.2" Apple Laptop into the laptop comparment on it's own and with the stuff I put in the bag which currently isin't a whole lot, it's prettty snug. When I get the Powersleeve I'm gonna start popping the laptop in the powersleeve and testing whether the whole thing slides into the laptop compartment of the Boa XL. I don't have it yet so I have to wait and see.
( Last edited by pixelwizard; Nov 17, 2005 at 06:43 PM. )

tether
Forum Regular
Nov 18, 2005, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by roadracr
The Waterfield sleeve is available with a strap option. I have owned the sleeve, along with a Waaterfield Cargo bag, for about 8 months now and the quality and utility are excellent.

thanks roadracr

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Nov 19, 2005, 05:39 PM

haven't looked at this thread in some time,
but found this bag yesterday in nyc...

have been looking for something cool, slim (not a fan of bulky backpacks).

this one comes with a sleeve (15"), and lots of pockets.

am going back tomorrow to get one!

here:

http://www.flight001.com/store/categ...page=2&sid=454

(btw cannot add text for a link on my or my girlfriends pb lately... )
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

ali-son
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 20, 2005, 10:37 AM

I've been following this thread off and on since its beginnings, and I still haven't found the perfect bag for my 15" alu PB. I've tried a number of different options but nothing I've found is right. What I basically need/want is a slim case that can hold the PB plus power adapter, iPod, some disks, and maybe a magazine or two. So far so good—there are a ton of cases like this on the market. However, I need one additional feature: the ability to slip it over the handle of my rolling suitcase, i.e. a wheelie strap or over-the-handle opening. I really love Brenthaven cases, and am hesitating over the Pro 12/15, but it's just not as slim as I'd like (5"!). My ideal case would be 3 inches thick or less.

Anyone have any ideas for me?
TIA
-alison

iluvmymactoo
Forum Regular
Nov 21, 2005, 12:35 AM

Today I received my Booq Vyper XXS which is especially made to fit the 12" Powerbook
and it certainly does.

Apart from Booq the only other place I know of to buy it is at Semson's & Co Their service is impeccable and I received my XXS Vyper in less than a week from the U.S. to here in Australia.

Months ago I bought the Vyper XS because it was advertised as made for the 12" Powerbook and iBook only to discover (like so many watching this thread) that it was too big. However this new iteration of the Booq Vyper is exactly to fit for a 12" Powerbook. Be aware though it doesn't have that same perfect box like shape to it the other Vyper's do, but I suspect this is because the Powerbook is considerably thinner than most other laptops.

The new Booq Vyper XXS fits a 12" Powerbook like a glove and still offers the exact same amount of protection as all the other sized Vyper sleeves.

Forum Links
Forum Rules