Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New to Apple, need some guidance

New to Apple, need some guidance
tomster2300
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 21, 2006, 12:36 AM

Hello, this is my first time posting on your forums. I bought a compaq laptop last fall after debating over getting a windows or mac based machine. Fearing compatibility issues, I chose the Compaq. Well, with a year and a half of college under my belt, I've come to realize that it was a foolish decision, especially with MacBook's ability to natively boot windows xp thanks to the intel cpu, and would like to revisit my options.

I've looked through the reviews I've found on google, and they're all for the 13" macbooks with 512 mb of ram - I haven't found a single one that's been updated for the 1 gig of ram that's now included. The reviews said apps ran a bit sluggishly with the 512 mb, which is understandable, but having never been a mac user before I was wondering how a gig works. I'm guessing that since it's an intel processor then it's going to act like a windows machine, though I don't know how OS X utilizes its memory. I was told once that the more memory you could throw at the old Powermac processors (correct me if that's the wrong name), the better and more efficient they ran. I was also told that OS X utilizes its memory much more efficiently than Windows XP, which wouldn't be too hard to believe.

As you can tell, I'm a bit confused and would love any links to updated reviews or personal, hands on experience. I'd really like to get a macbook (non-pro) this Christmas for myself, but don't want to pay the hefty pricetag for the black one. Through my college's student discount I can get the 2.0 ghz, 1 gig 13" white one for $1,199, which I'm assuming is a pretty good deal.

Thanks to anyone who reads the entire post!

Tommy

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2006, 12:41 AM

get as much RAM as you can afford

larrinski
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 21, 2006, 02:03 AM

I concur. Get at least 1Gb Ram. My intel imac runs well at 1Gb, though one of these days I will upgrade to 2Gb. My little Powerbook has 1.25Gb Ram and it cooks!
My Blog-pakos.me

Mojo
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 21, 2006, 10:09 PM

I would also budget for the extended AppleCare warranty which can be purchased within a year of getting a new Mac, in case your wallet needs a break after buying the MacBook. The educational discount is probably the best available price, but check the L.A. Computer Co. too since it has the best retail prices that I have found online.

tomster2300  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 22, 2006, 12:01 AM

Thanks for all the help guys, I really appreciate it. I was reading through the recent thread by doctor.alf and noticed everyone saying how 2 gigs of ram were needed to sufficiently run a word processor. Why is that?

Do you need 2 gigs to run something like iWorks successfully?

macboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 22, 2006, 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by tomster2300 View Post
Thanks for all the help guys, I really appreciate it. I was reading through the recent thread by doctor.alf and noticed everyone saying how 2 gigs of ram were needed to sufficiently run a word processor. Why is that?

Do you need 2 gigs to run something like iWorks successfully?
Welcome to MacNN. iWork is not a word processor - iWork consists of Pages and Keynote. Microsoft Office has Word, Powerpoint, etc.

The reason why people recommend using 2 gigs of ram on Office right now is because its not universal binary (PowerPC Processor + Intel) yet. Once it is, it'd be very quick. But 1GB ram should definitely still be very very good considering almost 75% apps are already universal.

Your getting yourself a good deal on the Macbook and the switch will definitely be worth it.

If you find something that you need to use which isn't universal binary and your finding it lagging, just boot over in Windows real quick, do your thing and move back or use Parallels.

Bottom line. 512MB will cut it, but 1GB will make things smoother. 2GB can be thought of later if you need you need more than a gig.

Just my 2c. Good luck!

lookmark
Mac Elite
Nov 22, 2006, 02:00 AM

Just a note on iWork—if you can, hold out until January before purchasing iWork (if, of course, you're considering buying it). It's due for a significant update at MWSF (Jan 9th).

Kyle Dreaden
Forum Regular
Nov 22, 2006, 11:07 AM

I have a blackbook core duo with 2GB RAM. I used it for a few days stock with only 512MB RAM pre-installed and while very useable, it wasn't as snappy as I would have liked. A few days later, my 2GB of memory arrived and once installed, blew my mind. The thing flies now! Even with rosetta apps like Photoshop (which I use every day at work) it works brilliantly.

I only paid around $180 USD plus shipping for mine from New Egg.
Desktop: 24" Aluminum/Black iMac 2.4GHz | 4GB RAM

Notebook: None | Want to buy a 12" Powerbook | PM ME!

Macola
Mac Elite
Nov 22, 2006, 11:13 AM

I'd agree...the difference between 1 GB RAM and 2 GB on my MacBook (CD) is significant.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

tomster2300  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 22, 2006, 01:59 PM

Thanks for the info. How do updates on OS X work? When a new version comes out do you have to repurchase the os (like windows)? What about software updates?

Mojo
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 22, 2006, 02:59 PM

Major OS upgrades like from 10.4 to 10.5 will cost you... figure around $100 with an educational discount. Incremental upgrades e.g. 10.4.1 to 10.4.2 are free and are handled automatically by Apple's Software Update. In recent years major OS upgrades come every 12-18 months.

You might consider getting a copy of "Switching To The Mac" by David Pogue. It covers the Mac OS, how to transfer data and OS operational differences, plus a lot more.

tomster2300  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 23, 2006, 11:36 AM

Thanks for the info on the Switching to the Mac - is that a book or a cd?

I've been reading about all the problems that occurred with the first macbooks. Has Apple released a revision since then, or could a macbook I buy today potentially have the same problems?

Ex: overheating, melting AC adaptor, bulginig on one side, random shutdowns, cracks, etc.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Nov 23, 2006, 01:00 PM

All of those problems except the random shutdown are *very* rare, and even that didn't crop up all too frequently given the millions of machines sold.

In any event, Apple just released a revision a few weeks ago that boosted performance by replacing the Core Duo with a Core 2 Duo chip, added (undocumented) draft-n capability to the wireless card, and a double-layer DVD burner in place of the single-layer Superdrives of the previous generation, as well as doubling RAM on the mid and black machines (to 1GB), as well as increasing hard drive capacity on those two models to 80 GB and 120 GB, respectively.

tomster2300  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 23, 2006, 02:00 PM

So this current crop of macbooks will be suitable for future versions of OS X? (It's called Leopard, correct?)

I feel stupid not knowing this terminology. Thanks for all the help so far though, it's much appreciated.

Blizzake
Forum Regular
Nov 23, 2006, 03:09 PM

i am recently bac in a mac. I purchsed a c2d blackbook with 1gig. i must say im very pleased with the performance and i always have multiple apps open.

i to came from a windows laptop. thinkpad x31 1.4 centrino with 1 gig and a 7200prm drive.
its a quick little computer but i am very happy with my macbook and have yet to install windows and im learning i can do everything i need on osx,

go for it! your gonna enjoy your decision
C2D Blackbook Week 44

brettcamp
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 24, 2006, 05:43 AM

So this current crop of macbooks will be suitable for future versions of OS X? (It's called Leopard, correct?)

I feel stupid not knowing this terminology. Thanks for all the help so far though, it's much appreciated.
No reason to feel stupid -- it's just a new world for you, and these forums are a place to ask questions and learn.

Yes, Macs have a good history of long term compatiblity with newer versions of the operating system -- much more so than Windows. Even with the big shift from OS9 to OSX, Macs that are 5+ years old (G3s) can still run brand new versions of the OS pretty well. So don't worry about buying a Mac now; you'll be able to use it with future versions of OSX (and probably whatever comes after it) for as long as you'll want to keep the computer. And, given how fast the hardware improves, probably longer.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Nov 24, 2006, 07:20 AM

It's weird how people are always embarrassed about not knowing the ins and outs of computers. You shouldn't HAVE to.

I always liken it to cars. I can drive mine okay, I know when to fill it up and what fuel to use. I can check the oil, and I know to keep the previous bottle lying around to know the specifications when I buy more oil, so I don't have to look it up in the manual. When push comes to shove, I can even (maybe) check tyre pressure.

Anything drips, rattles, or needs to be upgraded/purchased/replaced - I ask my mechanic.

I suspect most automobile owners are like me in that respect, and not the least embarrassed about it - why be embarrassed if you drive your computer the same way?

lookmark
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2006, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Major OS upgrades like from 10.4 to 10.5 will cost you... figure around $100 with an educational discount. Incremental upgrades e.g. 10.4.1 to 10.4.2 are free and are handled automatically by Apple's Software Update. In recent years major OS upgrades come every 12-18 months.

You might consider getting a copy of "Switching To The Mac" by David Pogue. It covers the Mac OS, how to transfer data and OS operational differences, plus a lot more.
++ on David Pogue's books.

Educational price for major OS upgrades is $79, btw. And 18 mo at *least*. The early days is major OS updates every 12 mo from OS X's early days is definitely over.

tomster2300  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 24, 2006, 09:35 AM

Thanks everyone, that is reassuring. Do you guys think the macbook will work with Vista when it debuts? I won't even update my main Windows desktop with Vista when it first comes out, but I do plan to on down the road.

I read one review that tried it, but the results weren't too hot. Granted, he was using the BETA version of Vista and the BETA version of bootcamp...so that is more than likely the problem. Do you think it'll work once they release full versions of both and then get past the initial kinks and revisions?

analogika
Posting Junkie
Nov 24, 2006, 10:27 AM

According to other threads in this forum, the MacBook is fully compatible with Vista, including the Aero and Glass interface gimmicks.

tomster2300  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 24, 2006, 01:46 PM

Thanks for all the help guys. I went ahead and made a purchase today - it wasn't a macbook in the end, but a powerbook I found on ebay. Hopefully I made the right decision - here is the link to the thread I just started about it. Please comment and tell me what you think.

http://forums.macnn.com/69/powerbook...s/#post3217684

Thanks for all the info you guys gave me on the macbook - you all have been very informative and I really appreciate it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules