Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Podcasts on older iPods

Podcasts on older iPods
zgall1
Forum Regular
Dec 1, 2006, 03:20 PM

Are there any workarounds available that will allow me to play podcasts on my older (touch wheel)) iPod?

cakey
Forum Regular
Dec 1, 2006, 04:08 PM

Just download the mp3 and put it on your ipod?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 1, 2006, 04:42 PM

Or update your iPod with iTunes 7.

zgall1  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 1, 2006, 07:20 PM

This FAQ - Podcasting Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) - says that podcasts will only work on iPods with the click wheel. The podcasts will sync with my iPod (according to iTunes) but there is no menu option to play them.

Also, how would I get them into mp3 format if I have downloaded them from the iTunes store?

lookmark
Mac Elite
Dec 1, 2006, 07:25 PM

^^ It's pretty simple.

Download the podcasts via iTunes, then create a Smart Playlist on the iPod for everything with the genre "podcast". Voila!

ValVashon
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 3, 2006, 12:40 PM

I didn't realize this was a problem for anyone. I bought my first iPod (used, first gen 5gb) specifically to listen to podcasts. After setting up the podcasts in iTunes, I selected which ones to load onto the iPod (most of them) along with a small playlist (only 5gb to work with!) and the updates worked perfectly, and you can't beat firewire for speed! The podcasts even appear in their own playlist. When "Grandpa" died (so named by a friend with a black video iPod) I bought a used second generation (10 gb) model, and "Grandpa II" works just like the first one.

There should be no need to create a smart playlist- this just mixes your podcasts in with your music and makes them hard to find. I can e-mail you some screenshots of how I have iTunes set up if you need to see them. I am using version 6.0.5.

Perhaps they are not actually updating because you don't have enough free space on the iPod- I think I had something like this happen once because I had too much music on it. Try syncing only your podcasts (as a test), and set the podcast preferences to save only the current podcast- this will dramatically reduce the size of your podcast upload. WARNING: if you do this, any older podcasts you have not listened to will disappear once a new one is uploaded.

Now- any way to set the iPod up so that the music playlist will shuffle play but the podcast playlist will play straight out?

Val

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 3, 2006, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by zgall1 View Post
This FAQ - Podcasting Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) - says that podcasts will only work on iPods with the click wheel. The podcasts will sync with my iPod (according to iTunes) but there is no menu option to play them.

Also, how would I get them into mp3 format if I have downloaded them from the iTunes store?
It's not telling the truth. I have podcasts on my 2G iPod under the Podcasts section.

ChrisB
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 3, 2006, 03:31 PM

You could just download the mp3 and make a new playlist and stick it in there. Just because you don't have a "podcast" category doesn't mean you can't play the mp3 file.
Chris Brown
Media, Brand, and IPTV Consultant

Forum Links
Forum Rules