Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Timex Ipod watch

Timex Ipod watch
moose43
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 28, 2007, 01:48 PM

Anyone have one of the Timex watches that wirelessly control your Ipod? I have a gift certificate to a store that offers nothing exciting to me except this watch. It is on sale for $79 and I have $50 so for $29 I am interested. I ride bikes, motorcycles and snowmobile with an ipod, but pausing it or changing volume is a pain with it in a pocket or hanging on a lanyard. I tested it with light gloves and the pause works easily.

Any input?

mkral
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 1, 2008, 03:10 PM

I haven't used it myself, but someone on a running forum I read got one & really loves it.

moose43  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 7, 2008, 07:37 PM

Bought it. It is awesome for my application. Doing yardwork with my coat on, hit the watch to skip tracks or change volume even with my Atlas rubber work gloves on. Hikeing, same story. In teh truck, keep ipod in console, watch controls it fine. It doesn't ff or rw a track, but I never do pod cast, so that is no big deal. Great buy for me. Hope to test it on my motorcycle as soon as the roads here in WA dry out for a day.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 7, 2008, 10:40 PM

I had forgotten about those watches. Those are pretty cool. I'm going to have to see about getting one.

BTW, it's illegal to listen to your iPod through headphones in Washington while operating a motor vehicle.

cbrfanatic
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2008, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
I had forgotten about those watches. Those are pretty cool. I'm going to have to see about getting one.

BTW, it's illegal to listen to your iPod through headphones in Washington while operating a motor vehicle.
its a different story when you are driving a car, but whilst riding a motorcycle it is useful to drown out the motor and wind noise to an extent, especially with the in ear canal phones. It cuts the noise but still allows street noise to permeate through for horns and sirens etc. Very useful when canyon carving. I ride with them on my CBR1000RR even on track days...

moose43  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 8, 2008, 03:53 PM

Glad I ride in iPod stealth mode then. iPod is on a lanyard under jacket, with helmet, I doubt anyone can see. Just better not be pulled over I guess.

For me, riding with tunes really improves my concentration. They are not loud adn I still hear outside noise, but it puts me in a riding Zen, and things seem to just flow smoother. Attention to cages is increased.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 8, 2008, 06:32 PM

Ha ha. I could see the need for music while riding. I know that it's not as bad with motorcycles as with cars, but I just wanted to make sure that you knew.

davedecay
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 11, 2008, 12:10 PM

I'd love to find a deal on one of these watches for less than $80... closer to $50 would be nice.

Forum Links
Forum Rules