Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > NYT Op-Ed from Anonymous Trump Admin Senior Official

NYT Op-Ed from Anonymous Trump Admin Senior Official
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 5, 2018, 11:49 PM

Read it here: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/05/o...esistance.html

I think the hilarious/frightening part is after a few hours both sides have reached a consensus: It is cowardly and/or ineffective to post this in an anonymous manner. In what world does it make sense to prop-up a President you think is so unqualified?

That leaves me with a few conclusions: That this op-ed was written for the anonymous author's posterity (i.e., "Sure I was there, but for selfless reasons") or the author is so focused on policy wins they'd do anything to keep power or the author is so partisan they want to avoid setting off what would be a GOP civil war if the 25th were invoked or attempted.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Sep 6, 2018, 10:49 AM

Someone on Twitter found a ton of instances of Pence using the word "lodestar." Theory is that this is him signaling Republicans that he'll keep things going in the same direction, like they want, but with less drama.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 6, 2018, 03:32 PM

Reporters have said some senior officials try to cover their tracks by using terms and phrases other officials are known for.

Anyway twitter media is leaning towards Kudlow

Thorzdad
Sep 6, 2018, 05:55 PM

The talking heads I’ve heard all agree that this will only make things even worse now.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 6, 2018, 06:14 PM

This will really ramp up Trump's insecurity to full blown paranoia. He'll be furious to start with but once that starts to fade a bit he'll start looking at everyone around him wondering if they wrote this or are one of the members of this group undermining him. I can see this putting him under real stress. Maybe he'll crack. Hopefully it inspires voters to turn out in the mid terms and hobble his ability to do too much damage until they can get rid of him.

Wouldn't it be awesome if the author wasn't in the White House and made it all up? Trump pushed over the edge by actual fake news. Fitting.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 6, 2018, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
The talking heads I’ve heard all agree that this will only make things even worse now.
**** the talking heads, but the basic psychology of not bragging about controlling a petulant child to its face is pretty obvious. The question is, when he does something crazy, will he brag that everyone was telling him not to do it?

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Wouldn't it be awesome if the author wasn't in the White House and made it all up?
It would not be awesome.

andi*pandi
Sep 6, 2018, 11:55 PM

Someone on twitter speculated that it was released on purpose with Trump's blessing to be a distraction. The call is coming from inside the house, if you will.

Where's Chongo and his laser pointer. Right now anything could be true.

Thorzdad
Sep 7, 2018, 07:21 AM

It was Melania. His handler has turned on him.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 7, 2018, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Someone on twitter speculated that it was released on purpose with Trump's blessing to be a distraction. The call is coming from inside the house, if you will.

Where's Chongo and his laser pointer. Right now anything could be true.
Nah. That's 13 dimensional chess thinking. Plus we have the reports they're trying to figure out who leaked it inside.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 7, 2018, 02:36 PM

It's another effective distraction, and it's working. Who wrote it is irrelevant without a name behind it. It gives his supporters more fuel for the "fake news"chorus, and it gives his detractors something useless to thump their chests over. The only way that changes is if the writer is discovered, and admits it.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

OreoCookie
Sep 9, 2018, 07:17 AM

The piece itself confirms what we have long suspected (and is consistent with earlier revelations), not only what we know about Trump, but also about the people working for him. As much as I find Trump dangerous, I think it is unconscionable dereliction of duty to leave him in office if you think it to be necessary to sabotage Trump the way he is. At this level, Trump's cabinet should either have the guts to invoke the 25th Amendment. Or urge Congress to remove him. But subterfuge is not the right choice.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules