Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > How to uninstall OS9 on my imac running OSX?

How to uninstall OS9 on my imac running OSX?
toadwbg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 8, 2004, 09:15 PM

I can't seem to get Classic to run on OSX, so I want to do a clean install of OS9.

How do I do this? How do I uninstall OS9 on my imac running OSX?

Randman
Posting Junkie
Sep 9, 2004, 03:46 AM

You should be able to drag the Classic folder(s) to the trash, then use Software Restore to add Classic back in.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 11, 2004, 08:20 AM

The easiest way to get an OS 9 system folder for Classic is to copy a valid one from another drive. If you have an older iMac, you can reinstall OS 9 by using the OS 9 CD. If you have to use Software Restore CDs (depending on whether your Mac came with them or not), things will get messy since you'll disrupt your current installation. If you have a newer Mac that is not OS 9 bootable, then use the Hardware Test/Additional Software CD that came with your Mac.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

skychum
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 20, 2004, 08:18 PM

I also wanted to install OS9, and I've done both the drag-and-drop and restore-disc methods, and although I can start Classic, I can't boot from the OS9 system folder after I select it in the "Startup Disk" control panel.

But, try it for yourself.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 21, 2004, 03:40 AM

You did not say what model Mac you're on, but note that newer Macs are incapable of booting into OS 9.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Forum Links
Forum Rules