Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Bill Gates has retired from Microsoft

Bill Gates has retired from Microsoft
goMac
Posting Junkie
Jun 15, 2006, 04:51 PM

Just getting word from CNN, supposedly they're covering it live.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

goMac  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 15, 2006, 04:52 PM

Looks like he is retiring in 08? Or downshifting? CNN says retiring, MSNBC says downshifting.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13348456/

Edit: CNN says he is stepping down from his role immediately, and staying on as an advisor until 2008.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/06/15/gates.ap/index.html
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2006, 04:56 PM

He's tired of being the poster child of corporate evil.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2006, 04:58 PM

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/06/15/D8I8SD100.html

According to Breitbart, Microsoft Corp. said after the bell Thursday that Chairman Bill Gates will transition out of a day-to-day role in the company to spend more time on his global health and education work at the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.
------------------------------------
Microsoft Corp. said after the bell Thursday that Chairman Bill Gates will transition out of a day-to-day role in the company to spend more time on his global health and education work at the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.

The company announced a two-year transition process to ensure that there is a smooth and orderly transfer of Gates' daily responsibilities, and said that after July 2008 Gates would continue to serve as the company's chairman and an adviser on key development projects.

Microsoft said Chief Technical Officer Ray Ozzie will immediately assume the title of chief software architect and begin working with Gates on all technical architecture and product oversight responsibilities, to ensure a smooth transition.

Similarly, Chief Technical Officer Craig Mundie will immediately take the new title of chief research and strategy officer and will work with Gates to responsibility for the company's research and incubation efforts; Mundie also will partner with general counsel Brad Smith to guide Microsoft's intellectual property and technology policy efforts.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 15, 2006, 04:59 PM

What if…Steve's next?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2006, 05:05 PM

I thought he pretty much did that already back when the monopoly charges were folding out.

Now he leaves even more before Vista launches... hmmm

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2006, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
What if…Steve's next?
Let's hope not.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2006, 05:17 PM

Doesn't want the flack for Vista, apparently.

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2006, 05:20 PM

What if…Steve's next?
Well, perhaps they we're discussing retirement benefits the other day?

J

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 15, 2006, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Judge_Fire

Looks more like they were discussing the size of their fortunes.
Chuck
___

deomacius
Senior User
Jun 15, 2006, 05:55 PM

That's a pretty cool pic, actually.

You reap what you sow.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2006, 05:58 PM

Retirement is cool.®

darth-vader000
Forum Regular
Jun 15, 2006, 06:00 PM

J
Its funny how the world could have changed so dramatically with a few small decisions on MS and Apple in the early years.

The roles could have been reversed.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2006, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Socially Awkward Solo
I thought he pretty much did that already back when the monopoly charges were folding out.

Now he leaves even more before Vista launches... hmmm
Yeah that's pretty much what I thought too. He was pretty much playing an advisor roll for quite a while. Ballmer was/is running the show (horror show) pretty much. And I also think that Bill does not want to deal with the Vista launch. He's been through enough crap, I doubt he'd want to stick around for the clusterfunk that will be Vista.

Anyways, it makes no difference really for MS. They will continue to operate the way they have been. And I give kudos to Bill for wanting to focus more on his charity. The respect meter just went way up.

gerbnl
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 15, 2006, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by darth-vader000
Its funny how the world has changed so dramatically with a few small decisions of MS and Apple in the early years.
fixed
These people are Americans. Don't expect anything meaningful or... uh... normalcy...

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2006, 06:20 PM

Ya cool pic.

I like MS a lot but I think that without Gates, they're riding for a fall.

Had Gates been the CEO during the iPod ascendency, he would have easily developed a competitor and smacked down Apple. Instead, with Balmer in charge, MS has no clue what to do.

We keep hearing about the impending "iPod Killer" but I think its time for Apple to come up with a Windows Killer strategy, because now is their best chance. MS has no direction right now.

Helmling
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2006, 06:34 PM

Ye-ha, the witch is dead!

Now, seriously though, to the one who said Gates was evil. I think the man has used his fortune very responsibly, so I think perhaps we have to look past "evil" as an explanation for Microsoft's negative influence on the computer industry as a whole.

Perhaps what he is is a symbol of how even good people, when practicing unrestrained capitalism, can perpetuate almost criminal acts out of greed? Er, or maybe he's the devil, one or the other.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2006, 06:47 PM

I've got news for you, Helmling. Gates is poring over health initiatives for developing countries while Jobs is building his glass palace and pretending not to know about iPod City (courtesy of communism's hell-on-earth living conditions).

And people still want to complain about Gates, who is currently giving almost all of his wealth to charity?

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2006, 06:59 PM

Actually, didn't they announce he's leaving in 2008?

You know what's going to happen, don't you? That time is going to come and they're going to decide he's not ready to be released, so they'll announce he's leaving in 2009.

Microsoft has kind of lost it's luster, I think, with the business world. They keep delaying everything and Apple keeps shipping.
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2006, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by KerriganAnd people still want to complain about Gates, who is currently giving [i
almost all[/i] of his wealth to charity?
I do admire Bill and Melinda's efforts at helping those who don't have as much as them (which is everyone.)
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

doucy2
Senior User
Jun 15, 2006, 07:16 PM

What if…Steve's next?
I'll cry

This is the best thing that ever happen to Microsoft
ThinkMac.org

Mini Duo 1.66ghz 1.25gb

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2006, 07:21 PM

Microsoft will be out of business by the end of week.®

goMac  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 15, 2006, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by davesimondotcom
Actually, didn't they announce he's leaving in 2008?

You know what's going to happen, don't you? That time is going to come and they're going to decide he's not ready to be released, so they'll announce he's leaving in 2009.

Microsoft has kind of lost it's luster, I think, with the business world. They keep delaying everything and Apple keeps shipping.
He's staying on as an advisor until 2008. He left his role as head of software development today.

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Jun 15, 2006, 08:00 PM

Don't hold your breath waiting for Jobs to retire and start handing out cash for a good cause.

kcmac
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2006, 08:02 PM

The other day Fortune posted an interview with Bill. He was saying how weird his title was and that he was really still the guy that runs the show. Kind of interesting now...

You have to respect him for what he is about to do. The only bad thing is, it will probably involve a lot of PC and Windows dumping worldwide. Maybe Apple can get him to spread a little of the Apple love... or not.

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2006, 08:03 PM

J
"No, really; it's this big! The ladies love it!"

Rumor
Jun 15, 2006, 08:17 PM

Looks more like they were discussing the size of their fortunes.
Since Bill is only using one hand, does that mean the size of his fortune has no end?
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 15, 2006, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by Rumor
Since Bill is only using one hand, does that mean the size of his fortune has no end?
The other hand is clearly reaching as far under the table as he can get it.
Chuck
___

Velocity211
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 15, 2006, 08:48 PM

The downfall of M$ has begun.
iMac 24" | Core 2 Extreme 2.8GHz | 4GB RAM | 500GB HD
PowerBook G4 15" HR | 1.67GHz | 2GB RAM | 100GB HD
R.I.P 1995 Toyota Supra NA-T

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 15, 2006, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by Velocity211
The downfall of M$ has begun.
It started quite a while ago, actually.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

NeXTLoop
Senior User
Jun 15, 2006, 11:08 PM

Personally, my money is that Gates sees that MS is on a downward slide, and would rather not be anywhere near "the helm" as it happens. There's just been too much bad news about Vista, and Microsoft losing its focus.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works." - Steve Jobs

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Jun 15, 2006, 11:19 PM

So Microsoft has to fail in order for to Apple to make any headway?

"Microsoft is failing...now's our chance"

What's wrong with Apple succeeding in spite of Microsoft's success?

Some of you act like Apple is inherently disadvantaged - and needs some sort of affirmative action program.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 15, 2006, 11:38 PM

Look up "monopoly" in the dictionary, dude.
Chuck
___

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 16, 2006, 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan
I've got news for you, Helmling. Gates is poring over health initiatives for developing countries while Jobs is building his glass palace and pretending not to know about iPod City (courtesy of communism's hell-on-earth living conditions).
I'm glad you know how best to spend Jobs' wealth for him. Maybe he should hire you as a financial consultant, since your insight is so very valuable. But I'm wondering, since you use the appellation "hell on earth living conditions," have you ever personally seen China? Do you know anything about their living standards, and, specifically, how substantially they've improved in the last two decades? China's labor standards may not be enviable, and the country still has a long way to go toward western style liberty, but they're steadily and rapidly transforming their economy. And it's not multi-national corporate exploitation of perpetually exploited masses but rather the emergence of a genuine middle class.

Moreover, do you have any appreciation of the macro and micro economic factors involved in wage determination? Have you given any thought to the relative value of currency and the devastating effect excessive liquidity has on markets. In other words, if Apple decided to triple or quadruple pay for those jobs, such a huge injection of liquidity could easily destabilize the economy. So precisely what is your alternative to the current situation from a humanitarian standpoint? Would you rather Apple close down all Chinese plants, thereby eliminating an important source of high tech manufacturing jobs in a country that depends on manufacturing to employ much of its enormous population? Would you violate market principles by denying jobs to people simply because you subjectively view those jobs as too low-paying? Or are you jealous that those jobs have found their way to China and other developing countries with comparatively cheaper labor costs? I just don't see where you're going with your argument.

I'm indifferent toward Gates' departure from M%. As a rule I despise him, but in this case I realy have to say I have no strong feelings about the development.
( Last edited by Big Mac; Jun 16, 2006 at 01:33 AM. )

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

greenamp
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2006, 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac
I'm glad you know how best to spend Jobs' wealth for him. Maybe he should hire you as a financial consultant, since your insight is so very valuable. But I'm wondering, since you use the appellation "hell on earth living conditions," have you ever personally seen China? Do you know anything about their living standards, and, specifically, how substantially they've improved in the last two decades? China's labor standards may not be enviable, and the country still has a long way to go toward western style liberty, but they're steadily and rapidly transforming their economy. And it's not multi-national corporate exploitation of perpetually exploited masses but rather the emergence of a genuine middle class.

Moreover, do you have any appreciation of the macro and micro economic factors involved in wage determination? Have you given any thought to the relative value of currency and the devastating effect excessive liquidity has on markets. In other words, if Apple decided to triple or quadruple pay for those jobs, such a huge injection of liquidity could easily destabilize the economy. So precisely what is your alternative to the current situation from a humanitarian standpoint? Would you rather Apple close down all Chinese plants, thereby eliminating an important source of high tech manufacturing jobs in a country that depends on manufacturing to employ much of its enormous population? Would you violate market principles by denying jobs to people simply because you subjectively view those jobs as too low-paying? Or are you jealous that those jobs have found their way to China and other developing countries with comparatively cheaper labor costs? I just don't see where you're going with your argument.
nerd burn.

Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2006, 02:08 AM

I think it's quite admirable that Gates is leaving Microsoft in order to go save the world.

to him.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Jun 16, 2006, 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac

I'm indifferent toward Gates' departure from M%. As a rule I despise him, but in this case I realy have to say I have no strong feelings about the development.

The man makes a damn good point. When thinking about China realize that many of these people would be close to starving while working long hours in the field. Sure, to us, $100-150 a month is nothing. But to these people they're making good money. Their families are happy to be getting the money. They have housing.

The developing world sucks. You should go check it out some time. A nice big 8 hour bus ride across rural China does a lot for someone's vision of the world. You should try it some time.

Y3a
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2006, 08:46 AM

How much wealth do you have to throw at a country with a badly corrupt government before that money actually makes a difference?

Really, the best way to improve most corrupt governments is to use snipers to kill the bad guys.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jun 16, 2006, 09:41 AM

And people still want to complain about Gates, who is currently giving almost all of his wealth to charity?
Oh come on. He has a huge underground mansion. A $1,000,000 underwater stereo. What else is he going to buy with 24 billion dollars? The only thing left to do is give it away.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2006, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Y3a
How much wealth do you have to throw at a country with a badly corrupt government before that money actually makes a difference?

Really, the best way to improve most corrupt governments is to use snipers to kill the bad guys.

Agreed. Helping these people in 3rd world countries is a fine and noble thing to do. That is a small part of the problem. The biggest thing that needs to be fixed IS the Governments of these countries. They are the major cause of the problems facing many of the people.

The Government officials live in lavish houses and palaces while their people live in sualid conditions.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 16, 2006, 06:32 PM

Sounds like a case for toppling the regime of Saddam Hussein.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2006, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Gossamer
Oh come on. He has a huge underground mansion. A $1,000,000 underwater stereo. What else is he going to buy with 24 billion dollars? The only thing left to do is give it away.
Do you know how greedy money makes you? The more you have, the more you want. Look at Donald Trump, Richard Branson, the Sultan of Brunei, and other billionaires who just want to keep making more and more money and spend it in self-aggrandizing ways.

Bill Gates, through his actions and not his words, is telling our generation of ambitious would-be-Trumps that it's not all about the money.

Matt OS X
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2006, 07:01 PM

"Unfortunately, no one can be told what Mac OS X is... you must see it for yourself."

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2006, 07:11 PM

must bring back his high school memories

Miniryu
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2006, 09:10 PM

Its funny, because someone told me that this was his plan since the very begining: make a lot of money then give it all away. I mean, he is a self-made quadzillionaire; he knows what its like to be on the other end.

"Sing it again, rookie beyach."
My website

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 16, 2006, 09:13 PM

He wasn't exactly poor to start out. It's kind of a from-wealth-to-riches story.
Chuck
___

Miniryu
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2006, 09:15 PM

He wasn't exactly poor to start out. It's kind of a from-wealth-to-riches story.
My bad. I always thought he was. I guess its kinda urban legend, cuz I think a lot of people think that.

"Sing it again, rookie beyach."
My website

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 17, 2006, 01:19 AM

He's from an upper middle class family. I read a year ago in the WSJ that his parents were both philanthropists and apparently, when Bill started making his fortune, his mother wrote him a letter with that quote "with great wealth comes great responsibility."

The key here is that he's from an upper middle class family. He's not upper class, he doesn't think of himself as an aristocrat whose duty is to preserve an image of class privilege for generations to come.

Likewise, he isn't nouveau riche. He certainly would never think: "thank god I made it to the top, now it's time for me to show off the fruits of my labour"

Gates is not perfect but he does set a good example.

Salty
Professional Poster
Jun 17, 2006, 03:14 AM

Of how to be evil incarnate...

Forum Links
Forum Rules