Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Tebow: The Official 'NN Poll

View Poll Results: Tim Tebow: Your Opinions on the Mile High Messiah
Poll Options:
He's the real deal. Great QB in the making. Mile High Messiah! 3 votes (9.09%)
He's an okay QB, but too limited for a long-term solution. 9 votes (27.27%)
He's a terrible QB. This stupid streak can't go on much longer. 7 votes (21.21%)
He's a genuine Christian and great guy. 7 votes (21.21%)
He's another Christian fraud. I don't buy the nice guy act. 1 votes (3.03%)
He's just a naive kid. Give him a few years. 2 votes (6.06%)
I really, really like him. It's a borderline crush. 1 votes (3.03%)
I like him, partially because of the people that hate him. 5 votes (15.15%)
I don't care about him. It's ultimately a non-story. 9 votes (27.27%)
I don't care about him. The conservative Christians pushing his story. 5 votes (15.15%)
I hate him. Loathe him. Despise him. 1 votes (3.03%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll
Tebow: The Official 'NN Poll
Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 12, 2011, 12:56 PM

Only a few sports stories from the past ten years come to mind when I think of what could possibly compare to the Tebow phenomenon: the 2004 Red Sox, LeBron James' move to Miami, and Tiger Woods' reverse Thanksgiving parade.

So what are the thoughts of the 'NN denizens? Is Tebow the genuine article? I've provided plenty of options on the poll, and made them multiple choice to allow for certain combinations, but if they still don't cover your opinion, please comment with your thoughts.

Is he a great guy and genuine Christian whose play is somehow galvanizing his team? Is this a case of crazy divine intervention? Is it dumb luck? Is Tebow just another fraud, both personally and professionally? Is he too limited as a quarterback? Will this all end next week against Tom Brady and the Patriots?

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 12, 2011, 01:10 PM

He's gotten lucky, and this pattern of 4th quarter success is not sustainable (to use a baseball analogy, it would be like a guy had a crazy high batting average with runners in scoring position). But by all accounts he's a very nice guy.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 12, 2011, 01:18 PM

Mediocre QB but getting a little better I think. Will to win is tremendous but it can't be denied that much of the luck has come in the form of bad luck/decisions by the other team, or great plays by teammates - i.e. not from his doing.

As for the Christian thing - good for him, and great role model if he can keep it up. I generally tend to feel that pro atheletes' extraordinary pressure of readily available sex with incredibly hot and willing women is too much for any man to bear and he must inevitably succumb in spectacular fashion, but...he's made it this far. Impressive all around.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Dec 12, 2011, 01:23 PM

He's the Second Coming all right... of Ryan Leaf!

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 12, 2011, 01:28 PM

I respect his lifestyle, especially the apparently-lifelong commitment to the Philippines, and I think he's a tremendous story, but I'm reserving my judgment concerning his QB abilities until 2012 and 2013.

One thing to remember: quarterbacks benefit tremendously from their first true off-season, and Tebow was robbed of that this year. I read today that John Elway is going to be working with after the season's over, focusing primarily on his footwork and delivery.

Fix the footwork, improve the arm, and find yourself a winning QB. He might never be an MVP, but I think he can win 9, 10, 11 games a season and keep the Broncos in the playoff mix for years to come, especially with their defense. Von Miller is amazing.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Dec 12, 2011, 01:31 PM

I have no idea what this is all on about, but since the gentleman holding that ball in the picture provided doesn't appear to be Troy Aikman, I'm going to say "no".
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 12, 2011, 02:14 PM

Where is the option for not caring about American football?

He was at my church on Saturday and everyone was mobbing him. Insane.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 12, 2011, 02:27 PM

I figured abstaining from voting counted.

No kidding. They have him speak or anything?

amazing
Professional Poster
Dec 12, 2011, 04:05 PM

Here's the best take so far:

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics...g-our-country/

Gotta be better than all the dwarves and dwarfettes on that one side of the equation...

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 12, 2011, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
I figured abstaining from voting counted.

No kidding. They have him speak or anything?
He was just attending the Christmas program. He's spoken a few times for various ministry's events though.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 12, 2011, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by amazing View Post
Here's the best take so far:

Tebow for President? Quarterbacking Our Country - ABC News

Gotta be better than all the dwarves and dwarfettes on that one side of the equation...
Really nice.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 12, 2011, 04:23 PM

His will to win is unbelievably strong, and if you combine that with faith you have a combination that's almost unheard of.

That aside, he's a good QB with bad mechanics, but he'll get better. Why? Because he won't quit. He doesn't know how to quit. That's why he's successful now, nothing can destroy his belief in himself.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2011, 04:25 PM

Look at his stats: terrible. His defense keeps him in a position to win; give this defense to any of the premier quarterbacks and they would be an unstoppable team. Broncos will lose to the Patriots next Sunday.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 12, 2011, 04:26 PM

Footwork is teachable. Throwing mechanics are generally harder to unlearn. I'm not totally sure where Tebow's deficiencies are, specifically, or if its just general lack of (relative) "athleticness." I'm guessing Tebow probably has Mark Sanchez upside, not much more. That's still pretty decent.

amazing
Professional Poster
Dec 12, 2011, 04:49 PM

Tebow manages to keep both offense and defense inspired inspite of all the ragged offensive performance through the first 3 quarters.

That is a gift--or a skill.

But when you've got a team with a fourth-quarter quarterback, you're in for a lot of heartburn.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 12, 2011, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
His will to win is unbelievably strong, and if you combine that with faith you have a combination that's almost unheard of.
That made me think of this:

Pale Rider - 1 Preacher.avi - YouTube
45/47

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 12, 2011, 04:57 PM

He's a pretty bad QB in general that has had a great run of luck and the help of a great defense and special teams. His throwing mechanic is ugly as sin and his stats back that up. That said, I don't hate the guy, nor really care about him strongly enough to form any solid opinion.

As for losing to the Patriots I'll believe it when I see it. Patriots secondary is AWFUL and the Broncos have a good enough defense to give Brady plenty of headaches. The only upside I can think of is that seeing Tebow and Brady side-by-side will at least give a nice backdrop of just how mediocre and ugly Tebows performance usually is.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 12, 2011, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by boy8cookie View Post
Look at his stats: terrible. His defense keeps him in a position to win; give this defense to any of the premier quarterbacks and they would be an unstoppable team. Broncos will lose to the Patriots next Sunday.
Yesterday he went 21/40 for 236 yards with 1 TD and 1 INT. I heard an analyst say he should've been 27/40 with 300+, 2 TDs and 1 INT due to the dropped passes by his receivers, one a guaranteed TD. Those aren't poor stats. He does need to keep his completion percentage above 60%, but he doesn't have a lot of weapons in his receiving core.

He's getting better, game by game. All Denver needs to do is secure two good receivers for next year, and Denver actually has a chance at causing some serious damage.

Look through his list of current receivers -- they're terrible.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Dec 12, 2011, 07:07 PM

Wait there's no, "he should have been aborted" option?
what an incomplete worthless poll

He's an okay QB who needs to get his mechanics in order if he wants a long standing career in the NFL. Right now he's surrounded by a lot of hype and news churn that will end just as suddenly as it began as soon as they lose. If they make it to the playoffs he's going to be beaten to a pulp by the top tier teams. His winning streak is made up of beating incomplete teams missing key players and dumb luck.

Yesterday for instance Tebow had very little to do with their win. Bears errors leaving them in excellent field position and a good kicker was the keys to Denver's success. Tebow had one TD and more 3 and outs than i can recall.

Personally I'd be happy for him if he could keep his sanctimonious bible thumping confined to himself and his church. Its one thing to do a token praise jesus but when its the only thing that comes out of a players mouth it becomes trite and annoying. It would be hilarious is his whole family was killed by a drunk driver celebrating a Bronco's win.... I wonder where he would think his "god" was then.

Only a few sports stories from the past ten years come to mind when I think of what could possibly compare to the Tebow phenomenon: the 2004 Red Sox, LeBron James' move to Miami, and Tiger Woods' reverse Thanksgiving parade.
Eh... you have poor sports history memory. Halladay , Bartman, Beane and the Packers road to the SB last year were more interesting stories. One of your examples didn't even involve anything that happened on the playing field. If that's the bar you are setting you may as well throw in Vick

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 12, 2011, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
It would be hilarious is his whole family was killed by a drunk driver celebrating a Bronco's win.... I wonder where he would think his "god" was then.
Seriously? I don't care who you are, that's not funny. At all.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2011, 08:10 PM

Yesterday he went 21/40 for 236 yards with 1 TD and 1 INT. I heard an analyst say he should've been 27/40 with 300+, 2 TDs and 1 INT due to the dropped passes by his receivers, one a guaranteed TD. Those aren't poor stats. He does need to keep his completion percentage above 60%, but he doesn't have a lot of weapons in his receiving core.

He's getting better, game by game. All Denver needs to do is secure two good receivers for next year, and Denver actually has a chance at causing some serious damage.

Look through his list of current receivers -- they're terrible.
That's barely 50% completion percentage, and up until the fourth quarter, he had a total of 4 completions. He's not a good quarterback.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 12, 2011, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Seriously? I don't care who you are, that's not funny. At all.
Don't mind him, he tries way to hard to be disagreeable.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Dec 12, 2011, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Don't mind him, he tries way to hard to be disagreeable.
too

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 12, 2011, 09:04 PM

No one would be talking about this guy if it weren't for the religious angle. Some people are calling his performances "miracles". There's nothing miraculous about his QB skills. Those who put aside the religious aspects usually say he's a poor QB. Its only when you say that his luck is divine intervention where this whole thing becomes interesting at all. Sure he's got "the will to win" (and so does 90% of NFL players), and he's a positive player to have on your team. But he has a long ways to go before we can even start to talk about him being a premier QB in the NFL. I don't doubt he's done good things and will continue to do good things for Denver. But this season may have well been just preseason for him. Lackluster overall performances, bad mechanics, bad decision making, but squeaked out a few wins in the end. Fun if you're a Broncos fan, but nothing much more than that if you're a fan of good football.

Lets come back in a couple years and see where he's at.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 12, 2011, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
That made me think of this:

Pale Rider - 1 Preacher.avi - YouTube
"You let Tebow into Carbon Canyon?!?"

lol
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 13, 2011, 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
Eh... you have poor sports history memory. Halladay , Bartman, Beane and the Packers road to the SB last year were more interesting stories. One of your examples didn't even involve anything that happened on the playing field. If that's the bar you are setting you may as well throw in Vick
Hallady? The Packers? Really? Maybe those stories were interesting to dedicated sporting enthusiasts, but I'm referring to large-scale public attention.

The Bartman story is the only one you listed that remotely comes close, and even then it was really only baseball fans that cared.

Tebow, Woods, and the Red Sox. Those are the only stories that are coming to mind that drew in everyone, whether they were invested in the related sport or not.

Actually, now that you mention it, Vick's dog-fighting incident qualifies.
I still can't believe you tried to throw Halladay in there.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2011, 08:03 AM

Who?

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 13, 2011, 10:23 AM

I can't read Bartman without thinking

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 13, 2011, 01:18 PM

Ditto. I'm sure the guy was in junior high about the time Bartman made his first appearance. Must've been tough.

sdilley14
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2011, 07:26 PM

Good dude, humble, mediocre passer, good runner, on a team with a great defense and a GREAT, game saving kicker, hasn't played against any of the top tier teams in the league yet and it's still way too early to form an accurate opinion on him. If they beat a team like the Pats, Saints, Packers, Niners...then we can start giving him some real credit. I feel bad for the guy. He didn't ask for this type of attention and the media has just beaten this subject to death to the point that its making people hate him just because it's ALL they hear about.
2.3 GHz Intel i5 MacBook Pro
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 18, 2011, 08:20 PM

Tebow's luck just ran out.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 18, 2011, 08:30 PM

Nah, I think it just moved on to the Cardinals!
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 18, 2011, 11:31 PM

Almost no one was saying that the Broncos should beat the Patriots. It was always speculated about by asking, "What if the Broncos beat the Pats?" Everyone saw this week coming a mile away.

Meanwhile, Dallas won (and New York didn't), so I'm a happy man.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 19, 2011, 12:39 AM

Only so much the offense can do, the Bronco's D folded up like a big mile-high lawn chair.
- Thomas Paine

amazing
Professional Poster
Dec 19, 2011, 01:01 AM

Here's Saturday Night Live's Tebow skit:

Tim Tebow SNL Skit Saturday Night Live - YouTube

Interesting take??? but can't help but wonder why they threw in the Mormonism bit at the end...

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 19, 2011, 02:53 PM

Almost no one was saying that the Broncos should beat the Patriots. It was always speculated about by asking, "What if the Broncos beat the Pats?" Everyone saw this week coming a mile away.
Hahaha, you're right. It was actually an interesting win-win fallback position for closet Tebow fans, though. If they had beaten the Pats, it would (almost literally) have been the second coming of Hay-zeus. If they had come close, it would have been some sort of validation that Tebow is actually legit - he's still learning, yadda yadda. And if they got blown out and he again doesn't play particularly well, like what happened, then everyone just shrugs and says "heyyyy....we expected that."

Win-win.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 19, 2011, 03:50 PM

They would have come close, if the defense hadn't imploded.
- Thomas Paine

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 19, 2011, 04:26 PM

I still doubt the Broncos can stop a Pats/Packers/Saints team that's firing on all cylinders. They're still several pieces away.

My most-hoped-for Super Bowl scenarios, in order of preference:

- Brady vs. Romo
- Brady vs. Brees
- Brady vs. Rodgers

In each dream scenario, Brady is defeated.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 19, 2011, 04:28 PM

IMO, you'll see Brady vs. Rodgers this year. And, yes, Brady will get spanked, hard.
- Thomas Paine

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 19, 2011, 04:34 PM

Seems like it would be a toss-up. Neither team has a defense to speak of.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 19, 2011, 04:40 PM

Yrah, but the Pats' D is worser and the Pack's O is betterer.
- Thomas Paine

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 19, 2011, 05:35 PM

They would have come close, if the defense hadn't imploded.
Defense imploded or the best offense in the league simply started to get its legs under it? If another team starts to double up Welker, Brady throws to Gronk, when they start to double up Gronk Brady has Hernandez. Given time in the pocket Brady and his receivers can do magical things to any defense.

Yrah, but the Pats' D is worser and the Pack's O is betterer.
Pats D is awful, there is no question about that, but Packers offense better? That's debatable. If the two teams were to meet in the super bowl I don't think Brady would so much get spanked as it would be the Patriots defense that would get spanked. That said, I highly doubt we will see the Pats in the superbowl, their defense is simply to weak.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Dec 21, 2011, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
Nah, I think it just moved on to the Cardinals!
John Skelton.
4-1 as a starter this year.
All of his wins were thanks to 4th quarter comebacks.
Two overtime victories.
ALL.
HE.
DOES.
IS.
WIN.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

Dork.
Professional Poster
Dec 24, 2011, 09:19 AM

You're all going to have to tell me how well Tebow does, because the game vs. Buffalo is blacked out here.
Our present this Christmas from the League is watching better teams play on TV.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Dec 24, 2011, 08:17 PM

It looks like the Bills managed to beat the Broncos and Tebow. Where was this Bills team two months ago?
I actually kind of feel bad for him, it must be tough losing the day before your birthday.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Dec 27, 2011, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Luca Rescigno View Post
John Skelton.
4-1 as a starter this year.
All of his wins were thanks to 4th quarter comebacks.
Two overtime victories.
ALL.
HE.
DOES.
IS.
WIN.
Whoops, spoke too soon there.

Looks like Skelton and Tebow are both regressing to the mean.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

Montezuma58
Senior User
Dec 27, 2011, 11:27 PM

Tim Tebow has wet dreams about Cam Newton.

amazing
Professional Poster
Jan 1, 2012, 07:38 PM

Denver is now in the 4th quarter against Kansas--and boy! they do not look good. The problem is that Kansas doesn't look good either. If only someone would put Denver out of the embarassing position of going to the playoffs with such a dismal offense.

The dilemma: Oakland is also losing which means that Denver would be in the playoffs regardless of whether they win...

The bottom line: all the teams have seen enough tape to know exactly how to stop Denver.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jan 1, 2012, 09:28 PM

When you have an overrated QB, you don't need a formula. Luck runs out eventually. The guy has a few games under his belt where he can't throw for more yardage than his shoe size, with a connect percentage as low as a finance rate.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jan 1, 2012, 09:45 PM

Wow. Tebow SUCKS. That is all.

Can't believe Denver is in the playoffs. They suck too.

Forum Links
Forum Rules