Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Isynch with Motorola phone

Isynch with Motorola phone
pallen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 4, 2003, 09:46 PM

I just purchased a Motorola T721 GSM phone and signed up with AT&T which Apple reports can be synched using Isynch. Motorola on their site states they do not support Mac OS. Motorola does not list any accessories for working with a Mac. The AT&T rep has no idea what to do. I haven't been able to reach a Motorola rep who knows what to do.

Can someone recommend the data cable i need for either USB or Firewire and is there a source for determining more information on the synching process? Thank you. Pallen [email protected]

MickS
Senior User
Dec 5, 2003, 06:48 AM

Read the web page for iSync supported devices, in the table at the bottom it says "Motorola USB phones". Given that there is only one sort of connector that plugs into Macs I would guess that a USB cable with that connector on will work.

Also it's iSync not Isynch. Yes it was understandable what you meant but a lot of problems with computers are avoided if you are precise.

pallen  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 10, 2003, 10:15 AM

Originally posted by MickS:
Read the web page for iSync supported devices, in the table at the bottom it says "Motorola USB phones". Given that there is only one sort of connector that plugs into Macs I would guess that a USB cable with that connector on will work.

Also it's iSync not Isynch. Yes it was understandable what you meant but a lot of problems with computers are avoided if you are precise.
Thanks for the correction, however the problem is not precision in this case. Motorola states their wireless phones are not compatible with the Apple OS and that Motorola has not tested the phones (if so, how do they know the phones are not compatible) and I posted to Apples site asking how they linked the phone and obtained no response. Would appreciate some help from someone who has used the Motorola T730 series and isynched it. pallen

leperkuhn
Senior User
Dec 10, 2003, 12:39 PM

Originally posted by pallen:
Thanks for the correction, however the problem is not precision in this case. Motorola states their wireless phones are not compatible with the Apple OS and that Motorola has not tested the phones (if so, how do they know the phones are not compatible) and I posted to Apples site asking how they linked the phone and obtained no response. Would appreciate some help from someone who has used the Motorola T730 series and isynched it. pallen
im trying to do the same thing as we speak with zero luck. i found a usb cord that goes to the motorola phone but the old comp doesn't see it.

d_c_13
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 10, 2003, 02:44 PM

Originally posted by pallen:
I just purchased a Motorola T721 GSM phone and signed up with AT&T which Apple reports can be synched using Isynch. Motorola on their site states they do not support Mac OS. Motorola does not list any accessories for working with a Mac. The AT&T rep has no idea what to do. I haven't been able to reach a Motorola rep who knows what to do.

Can someone recommend the data cable i need for either USB or Firewire and is there a source for determining more information on the synching process? Thank you. Pallen [email protected]
I don't have experience with the T721, but I do have the V60i. I was able to find a cheap V60i-to-USB cord on Ebay. I paid $11 for the USB cable, desktop charged, and shipping. You should be able to find the cord you're looking for on Ebay also or you can buy the extremely expensive "official" Motorola cable directly from Motorola or any cell phone accessory dealer.

Once I had the cable, all I had to do was plug it into my phone and iSync was able to recognize and synchronize my iCal and Address Book data automatically. Even though Motorola hasn't tested their phones with Macs, I think Apple has, otherwise Apple would not claim compatibility (and I wouldn't have gotten it to work so easily).

I'm running Jaguar 10.2.8, with the latest iSync, iCal, and Address Book versions.

pallen  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 10, 2003, 10:11 PM

Originally posted by leperkuhn:
im trying to do the same thing as we speak with zero luck. i found a usb cord that goes to the motorola phone but the old comp doesn't see it.
Thanks for response. I tried a Radio Shack data cord and that wasn't recognized. Guess we keep trying. pallen

pallen  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 10, 2003, 10:12 PM

Originally posted by d_c_13:
I don't have experience with the T721, but I do have the V60i. I was able to find a cheap V60i-to-USB cord on Ebay. I paid $11 for the USB cable, desktop charged, and shipping. You should be able to find the cord you're looking for on Ebay also or you can buy the extremely expensive "official" Motorola cable directly from Motorola or any cell phone accessory dealer.

Once I had the cable, all I had to do was plug it into my phone and iSync was able to recognize and synchronize my iCal and Address Book data automatically. Even though Motorola hasn't tested their phones with Macs, I think Apple has, otherwise Apple would not claim compatibility (and I wouldn't have gotten it to work so easily).

I'm running Jaguar 10.2.8, with the latest iSync, iCal, and Address Book versions.
Thanks for experience update. Will check Ebay. My Radio Shack cable was not recognized. pallen

fado
Dec 11, 2003, 02:02 AM

For your notice... I have a T720i with T-Mobile and there are no problems with iSync. I sync up all the time and the T720i is the same as your phone yet with different face plate design and updated java.

McNugget
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 11, 2003, 02:11 AM

I have a C350 with my Zire's USB cable and works flawlessly...a bit slow compared to bluetooth when I had my SonyEricsson T68i...but definitively works...what I don't know is if the 720i is indeed supported by iSync...I remember waiting for iSync 1.3 since 1.2 didn't support de C350, only the other C3xx phones.
IMO you only need a USB- mini USB cable.

Forum Links
Forum Rules