Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > Anyone working on a Mac x86 optimized SETI Enhanced client?

Anyone working on a Mac x86 optimized SETI Enhanced client?
jfosback
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 20, 2006, 01:24 PM

Greetings-

I'm using Alex's awesome optimized G4 client (thanks Alex!) on my old Mac Mini. I'm keen to get an optimized client for my MacBook Pro 2GHz machine. Is anyone working on an Intel optimized SETI Enhanced client?

I took a look at Simon's instructions for building an optimized client, and I visited Intel's site. They appear to be missing the Math Kernel Library for Mac OS X. Though, looking now it appears there's a link that's not in the menu structure...

Anyone working on an Intel optimized SETI Enhanced client of Mac OS X?

Thanks!

-jason

halimedia
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 22, 2006, 05:16 AM

I'd be curious about this, too. Any news, Rick or Alex?

alexkan
Forum Regular
Jul 23, 2006, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by halimedia
I'd be curious about this, too. Any news, Rick or Alex?
I'm in the process of rolling some Intel binaries from the codebase I'm using for my PowerPC crunchers. However, I still need to put in assembly optimizations, and without an Intel Mac to test and debug on, that will be difficult. (I suppose that's why it's nice to cover the source-level optimizations first.)

I'm considering buying a copy of ICC/IPP/MKL, since I'd like to see ICC's autovectorizer can do a better job with the hot loops than my own explicit vectorization.

I haven't heard from Rick for a while, so I'm trying to get back in contact with him.

jfosback  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 3, 2006, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by alexkan
I'm in the process of rolling some Intel binaries from the codebase I'm using for my PowerPC crunchers. However, I still need to put in assembly optimizations, and without an Intel Mac to test and debug on, that will be difficult. (I suppose that's why it's nice to cover the source-level optimizations first.)

I'm considering buying a copy of ICC/IPP/MKL, since I'd like to see ICC's autovectorizer can do a better job with the hot loops than my own explicit vectorization.

I haven't heard from Rick for a while, so I'm trying to get back in contact with him.
Alex, I'd heard that you were actively working on an Intel optimized application. I'd love to help test it! I just got my MacBook Pro back from Apple, and I'd be a willing test subject ;-)

You can PM me here, or e-mail me at jfosback at blarg dot net.

Thanks!

-jason

alexkan
Forum Regular
Aug 3, 2006, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by jfosback
Alex, I'd heard that you were actively working on an Intel optimized application. I'd love to help test it! I just got my MacBook Pro back from Apple, and I'd be a willing test subject ;-)

You can PM me here, or e-mail me at jfosback at blarg dot net.
No need to contact me about testing anymore--I've released v6.1 into the wild. Check the Enhanced Optimized thread for the link!

Forum Links
Forum Rules