Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > We need a mini macbook now! please.

We need a mini macbook now! please.
Mallrat
Grizzled Veteran
May 29, 2008, 06:27 PM

After seeing DELL jump into the small laptops that still are functionally with the Dell Mini Inspiron... it's time for Apple to do the same.

As a writer this is ideal... except for it being a PC.

The macbook air is great... but a little too big and could be lighter... but more importantly it's expensive. Apple would kill will a 799 version of this type of laptop.

Just for people to carry everywhere and do everything.

Pretty much the old iBook just somehow get 2 lbs out of it...

mduell
Posting Junkie
May 29, 2008, 07:41 PM

I think Apple is likely to get into the Atom-based computer market, but it's going to be a tablet instead of a clamshell.

I'll also predict: all the frameworks/features of the desktop version (not crippled like iPhone OS), no hard or optical drive (just flash), and over $500.
( Last edited by mduell; May 29, 2008 at 08:32 PM. )

GSixZero
Mac Elite
May 29, 2008, 11:36 PM

I'd be surprised to see Apple sell any computer that you would want to buy at a price point lower than the MacBook. Apple's not in the business of selling computers with no profit margins, and as with the eternal headless-iMac/MacPro Mini debate, I don't think we'll see apple enter this market.

They might release a tablet, but it won't be cheaper than a MacBook.

ImpulseResponse

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 30, 2008, 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by Mallrat View Post
The macbook air is great... but a little too big and could be lighter... but more importantly it's expensive. Apple would kill will a 799 version of this type of laptop.
The MBA is expensive precisely because it is so small. Make it even smaller/lighter (w/o sacrificing even more features or performance) and you'll be looking at an even more expensive notebook. Apple knows that wouldn't sell.

In addition Apple doesn't like 10" screens and flimsy keyboards for childrens' hands. The MBA shows very clearly how far Apple was willing to go in terms of size: as small and thin as you can w/o giving up 1280x800 and a full-size KB. So if it's something like an Eee PC you're looking for, Apple is certainly not going to make it.

The fact that their notebooks are selling like crazy indicates they're pretty much doing it right. No need to try and do it like Dell when they're growing a whole lot faster.
( Last edited by Simon; May 30, 2008 at 01:03 AM. )

Mallrat  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 30, 2008, 09:30 PM

Same company line. I'm a total Apple nerd and they may not want to enter that market as they tend not to follow, but lead... yet they COULD make one if they wanted too.

So Dell and even companies we never heard of can make a 500 dollars computer, but Apple can't do it unless it cost 1700 dollars? Please. They can do it. You are right they probably won't.

But they more popular they get, the more likely to me they would offer more choices.

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 31, 2008, 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by Mallrat View Post
So Dell and even companies we never heard of can make a 500 dollars computer, but Apple can't do it unless it cost 1700 dollars? Please. They can do it. You are right they probably won't.
Of course they could. But they don't want to. For the reasons I mentioned above. In the past decade Apple has always been very picky about the markets it wants to enter. And it takes the freedom to stay clear of others.

mduell
Posting Junkie
May 31, 2008, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
In addition Apple doesn't like 10" screens and flimsy keyboards for childrens' hands. The MBA shows very clearly how far Apple was willing to go in terms of size: as small and thin as you can w/o giving up 1280x800 and a full-size KB. So if it's something like an Eee PC you're looking for, Apple is certainly not going to make it.
People used to say the same thing about ports and optical drives with the 12" PowerBook... until we got the Air.

The MBA says little about how small Apple will go; if they were at all concerned about small why does it still have a 0.75-1" bezel around the screen?

Apple will go wherever they can get margin.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
May 31, 2008, 05:09 PM

As long as we are hypothesizing/fantasizing, probably in disregard of forum rules (who needs steenking rules anyway), what I want is a Macbook Duo for pro photog usage. Basically an MBP that docks to a dock with the RAM, GPU, added processor capacity and multiple hard drives of a Mac Pro.

-Allen Wicks

dimmer
Mac Enthusiast
May 31, 2008, 11:44 PM

The DuoDock offered more VRAM, not regular memory. And with the DD2 an Ethernet AAUI port!

(Adding expansion cards to the DuoDock was a major PITA, having a nice simple AAUI port available cheered me right up!)

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 1, 2008, 04:09 AM

People used to say the same thing about ports and optical drives with the 12" PowerBook... until we got the Air.
Of course. And both standpoints are still correct. Because only a complete moron would assume tech hadn't changed in the 5 years between these two computers.

The MBA says little about how small Apple will go; if they were at all concerned about small why does it still have a 0.75-1" bezel around the screen?
I started a whole thread on this when the MBA came out. Nobody was able to offer a decent technical reason behind this. Does that mean there was none? Doubt it. I'm guessing it's a trade-off between manufacturing cost and design complexity as it's easier to get thin than narrow with that screen and KB. The Air and even more so the company press releases and interview statements say very much about how far they're willing to go. There will be no 10" 800x500 screens (on Macs that is, on iPhone tablets possibly) and there will be no flimsy mini-KBs. Mark my words.

Apple will go wherever they can get margin.
Exactly my point. And that is precisely why you won't see them doing a $500 Eee PC MacBook. A larger iPhone tablet-like device makes much more sense in this regard. Although I'm not at all convinced we'll get that either.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 1, 2008, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by SierraDragon View Post
what I want is a Macbook Duo for pro photog usage. Basically an MBP that docks to a dock with the RAM, GPU, added processor capacity and multiple hard drives of a Mac Pro.
Yep, I'll have two of those as well.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 1, 2008, 12:09 PM

Of course. And both standpoints are still correct. Because only a complete moron would assume tech hadn't changed in the 5 years between these two computers.
With regard to the optical drive and expansion ports... the tech really hasn't changed. The slot loading SuperDrive, USB, audio, and DVI were all available in the PowerBook family 5 years ago.

Exactly my point. And that is precisely why you won't see them doing a $500 Eee PC MacBook. A larger iPhone tablet-like device makes much more sense in this regard. Although I'm not at all convinced we'll get that either.
There's plenty of margin in a $500 EEEpc ($400 cost/$100 profit) that Apple marks up to $800.

Chinasaur
Senior User
Jun 1, 2008, 01:38 PM

But .. could Apple make an $800 mini that wouldn't feel cheap or "plasticky"?
And, as said before, wouldn't it eat market share from MacBook sales?
And if it did, would the new mini market more than make up for lost profit on the MacBook line, as it would have to do, in order for Apple to even consider implementing a mini?
And a DockDuo that eats into the Pro line is also a non-starter unfortunately.
Ever since Sculley and Amelio left, Apple doesn't let it's product lines steal sales from each other.

Good discussion though.
iMac - Late 2015 iMac, 32GB RAM
MacBook - 2010 MacBook, 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 2, 2008, 05:47 AM

With regard to the optical drive and expansion ports... the tech really hasn't changed. The slot loading SuperDrive, USB, audio, and DVI were all available in the PowerBook family 5 years ago.
Well duh. Except it's not about having the same ports. It's about how we use this stuff. In that sense everything has changed. Broadband is a given. In the Apple world we're talking about decent n networks anyway. Internal opticals are no longer needed on the road when you look at media the way Apple does. FW is on its way out, etc. What we still need are decent screen resolutions and usable KBs. The MBA would have never happened 5 years ago. Today it seems very natural for a company like Apple to do it.

There's plenty of margin in a $500 EEEpc ($400 cost/$100 profit) that Apple marks up to $800.
In which case it would no longer be a $500 notebook anymore, would it? Case in point. Can Apple do a cheaper MB? Sure. Do they want to? Maybe. Will Apple do something like a $500 Eee PC? Certainly not. End of story.

You can dream all you want about ultra-cheap and yet insanely cool new Macs. The thing is it just doesn't happen that way. The really cool new stuff is expensive (MBA, iPhone) and the really cheap stuff is either older tech that has trickled down or it just plain sucks.

Forum Links
Forum Rules