Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > best extra AC adapter

best extra AC adapter
malcolm
Mar 8, 2005, 11:39 AM

Hi there,
My Apple AC adapter for my new powerbook (1.67 GHz, 15") I'll leave in the office. To carry around with me, I want the smallest, most ergonomic alternative. Here they are - -

1. the Kensington 'Universal AC/Car/Air Adapter for Apple' (model number: 33079)

2. Madsonline's AC adapter (they say they have one for the new powerbooks)

I'm assuming that these 3rd party AC adapters are smaller than Apple's - - is this true? Are they better in other respects?

Can anyone compare, recommend?

Thanks,
Malcolm

cambro
Senior User
Mar 8, 2005, 12:03 PM

By leaving the heavy 3-prong cord plugged into the wall at your desk and taking only the white unit and thin cord on the go, the Apple power adapter becomes pretty darn portable. Why buy another one?

malcolm  (op)
Mar 9, 2005, 11:15 AM

"By leaving the heavy 3-prong cord plugged into the wall at your desk and taking only the white unit and thin cord on the go, the Apple power adapter becomes pretty darn portable. Why buy another one?"

Please advise, Cambro. The white unit with the thin cord isn't, by itself, enough, is it? I need the other part to get AC.
In the past, 3rd party manufacturers have made smaller, more packable, AC adatpters. Maybe that's changed now, and Apple's is just as small, just as portable?
Thanks,
Malcolm

ibook_steve
Mar 9, 2005, 01:24 PM

He means that your adaptor came with a little plug that replaces the long AC cord. That way, you can plug the white brick directly into the wall without carrying the bulky 3 prong cord.

Steve

malcolm  (op)
Mar 9, 2005, 05:24 PM

thank you Steve. The new pb is shipping right now, so I'll be a little better informed soon!
Cheers,
Malcolm

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 9, 2005, 08:54 PM

Originally posted by malcolm:

Please advise, Cambro. The white unit with the thin cord isn't, by itself, enough, is it? I need the other part to get AC.
Nope. You can leave the power cord at home and just plug the adaptor itself into the wall.

typ993
Apr 27, 2005, 12:09 PM

I'm going to disagree here. One problem I've found on business trips is that outlets aren't always conveniently located and that you often need a cord longer than the built-in thin cord to reach them (such as that thick cord you left plugged in back home).

So, any preferences on other power adapters? (Apple, Kensington, iGo)

itguy05
Forum Regular
Apr 27, 2005, 01:51 PM

Extension cord works fine for me. Easy to pack and can also be used for other things that need charging (cell, PDA, etc.).

Actually, the most useful thing I have is the APC power case as it has an adapter that's AC, Car, and Plane. You also get USB power and can use USB chargers for your PDA/Phone and charge your laptop. Unfortunately, it's not Apple compatible as it only goes up to 20V. But it works great for my IBM laptop from work.

gbhgbh
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 27, 2005, 05:01 PM

I would also agree with the person who disagreed. In fact, I do the opposite, I plug the brick directly in the outlet at home because it's close, and keep the 3 pronged extension packed to carry with me. I like the yo-yo style adapters the best. When the extension is wrapped around itself underneath the adapter, it's more compact to carry than the newer bricks with it's extension--even though the newer bricks by themselves are smaller.

Who makes the yo-yo adapters, and are there any that are 65 watts?

t500
Forum Regular
Apr 27, 2005, 07:03 PM

You can pick up an Apple power supply from the Apple store for like $60. I keep one plugged in all the time at the house and pack the other in my bag.

I also agree that sometimes carrying just the brick does not give enough cable legnth.

Good luck.

Forum Links
Forum Rules