Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > on island, no power: best way to keep pb batteries charged?

on island, no power: best way to keep pb batteries charged?
malcolm
Jun 27, 2005, 12:29 PM

Hi there,
I'm going to be on holiday for two weeks soon - - on an island, with no power. I have a powerbook, with two batteries (that's a start).
What's the best way to keep those batteries charged?
Should I get one of those car-battery-charger units, which I can connect my powerbook to (via a cigarette-lighter plug)?
Or is there a little solar-powered charger that would work for my powerbook?
Any suggestions?
Malcolm

s0litude
Forum Regular
Jun 27, 2005, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by malcolm
Hi there,
I'm going to be on holiday for two weeks soon - - on an island, with no power. I have a powerbook, with two batteries (that's a start).
What's the best way to keep those batteries charged?
Should I get one of those car-battery-charger units, which I can connect my powerbook to (via a cigarette-lighter plug)?
Or is there a little solar-powered charger that would work for my powerbook?
Any suggestions?
Malcolm
Probably solar power. Don't know much about them but a quick google search yielded this result:

http://www.the-roc.com/solarpak.html

Hope that helps.
Hi!

templetalker
Forum Regular
Jun 29, 2005, 01:52 PM

No, leave your powerbook at home, seriously, its called VACATION, what are you in the friggin' Matrix? Seriously buddy don't spoil the beauty of an island without power by bringing a powerbook!

malcolm  (op)
Jun 29, 2005, 02:12 PM

I appreciate the sentiment, I really do. But this time I have to bring the powerbook along.
(but watch... the sun won't shine, so there won't be any solar power, and I won't be able to charge my batteries anyway!)
Cheers,
Malcolm

ericssonboi
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 29, 2005, 02:17 PM

What island doesn't have power?
Are you the next survivor contestent?

I would suggest solar power... but then sometimes there is no light (rain or something)
In car charger would be good... if they have cars on your deserted island..
What about a generator? Its hard to lug around.. but another option.

What would you be doing on your Powerbook?
15" 2.33 MBP 2GB Ram, 120GB HD - Main Rig

Agent69
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2005, 02:32 PM

Wasn't there something on building a battery using coconuts on Giligan's Island?
Agent69

malcolm  (op)
Jun 29, 2005, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by ericssonboi
What island doesn't have power?
Are you the next survivor contestent?

I would suggest solar power... but then sometimes there is no light (rain or something)
In car charger would be good... if they have cars on your deserted island..
What about a generator? Its hard to lug around.. but another option.

What would you be doing on your Powerbook?
Checking e-mail, writing and revising scripts - - I work for a tv show, and production doesn't exactly grind to a halt when I leave for a couple weeks. So yes, in a way I am a 'Survivor' contestant (if the show gets cancelled I'm out of a job). Not that I'm a workaholic - - I'll do the bare minumum (maybe an hour or two a day, in the morning before my kids are up)... just enough so I'm not swamped when I go back to the office.
What I'm now thinking of getting, in case any of you are ever unfortunate enough to have to operate a powerbook in a similar circumstances (no power), is what I think is called a 'mobile power box'. You charge these things for 48 hours before leaving home, and then (according to the guy at Canadian Tire), the 1200-watt version will run my laptop for 12 hours! This claim is probably as exaggerated as Apple's claims about battery-life, but even 8 or 9 hours would get me by for most of a week.
If I do end up getting this thing, I'll let you know how well it works, if you're interested.
Cheers,
Malcolm

ericssonboi
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 29, 2005, 08:19 PM

Checking e-mail, writing and revising scripts - - I work for a tv show, and production doesn't exactly grind to a halt when I leave for a couple weeks. So yes, in a way I am a 'Survivor' contestant (if the show gets cancelled I'm out of a job). Not that I'm a workaholic - - I'll do the bare minumum (maybe an hour or two a day, in the morning before my kids are up)... just enough so I'm not swamped when I go back to the office.
What I'm now thinking of getting, in case any of you are ever unfortunate enough to have to operate a powerbook in a similar circumstances (no power), is what I think is called a 'mobile power box'. You charge these things for 48 hours before leaving home, and then (according to the guy at Canadian Tire), the 1200-watt version will run my laptop for 12 hours! This claim is probably as exaggerated as Apple's claims about battery-life, but even 8 or 9 hours would get me by for most of a week.
If I do end up getting this thing, I'll let you know how well it works, if you're interested.
Cheers,
Malcolm
I think your too "into the TV business" ... watching too many Canadian tire commericals... hahah..
The powerbox is a good idea... i have one to boost my car for those cold winter days... I havn't tried using it to power anything... only to boost my car. It's around 100 bucks..
Also on those Canadian tire commericals, there is the solar power panel

ibook_steve
Jun 29, 2005, 08:44 PM

I'm just curious how you plan on checking email without power. If there's no power, there are no cell towers, telephone jacks, network routers, DSL, cable, ISDN, frame relay, etc., so there's no way you're checking email that I can think of, unless you have a solar or gas powered satellite connection.

Steve

von Wrangell
Professional Poster
Jun 30, 2005, 03:43 AM

Satellite phones.

To those against whom war is made, permission is given (to fight), because they are wronged;- and verily, Allah is most powerful for their aid

malcolm  (op)
Jun 30, 2005, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve
I'm just curious how you plan on checking email without power. If there's no power, there are no cell towers, telephone jacks, network routers, DSL, cable, ISDN, frame relay, etc., so there's no way you're checking email that I can think of, unless you have a solar or gas powered satellite connection.

Steve
http://forums.macnn.com/newreply.php...ply&p=2588942#

The cottage on the island I'll be on has no power. It's surrounded by cottages, on the shore, that do have power. And it's within sight of a cell-and-whatever else tower at the top of a nearby mountain. So, stop me if I'm wrong, but I'll be able to connect to the internet and check e-mail if I pop a Sierra AirCard into my pb (and sign on the dotted line with Bell Mobility or whomever).
My main concern is battery-power. That's why I'm looking into the power-box/car-charger unit, which would allow me to bring power with me.
Cheers,
Malcolm

f1000
Professional Poster
Jun 30, 2005, 08:08 AM

How about a portable fuel cell generator?

malcolm  (op)
Jun 30, 2005, 08:47 AM

It looks great... but at something like $6,000, it's a bit steep for me. Wonderful idea, though.

SplijinX
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 30, 2005, 03:07 PM

The cottage on the island I'll be on has no power. It's surrounded by cottages, on the shore, that do have power. And it's within sight of a cell-and-whatever else tower at the top of a nearby mountain. So, stop me if I'm wrong, but I'll be able to connect to the internet and check e-mail if I pop a Sierra AirCard into my pb (and sign on the dotted line with Bell Mobility or whomever).
My main concern is battery-power. That's why I'm looking into the power-box/car-charger unit, which would allow me to bring power with me.
Cheers,
Malcolm

Couldn't you just get one of your cottage neighbors to charge it up for you now and then and pay them for their troubles? Or sneak into a nearby hotel/cafe in the morning, plug in and get your work done. Seems like there is a trivial answer to your problem since the island doesn't sound remote and there IS power on the island...but maybe you're leaving out something we're overseeing.

This article in PC World might be of some use: http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article...,102374,00.asp

They list a company that sells external battery from Electrovaya (http://www.electrovaya.com/). They have batteries that extends your current battery's run time to "up to 24 hours". But a battery like that is goes for $800, might as well put your money into getting a cottage with power.

http://www.icpsolar.com/ has some nice solar stuff, they will definitely have something that fits the bill (see the PowerSaver 18W), but it could be pricy too.

An alternative may be to get a PDA, you should be able to check email and do editing in some type of Word or text format.

HTH
Are those free-ranged animal crackers?

malcolm  (op)
Jun 30, 2005, 04:02 PM

Thanks SplijinX for your thoughtful reply. I suspect I haven't described things well enough, not that it really matters (for the record: there's no power at all on this little island; cottages a mile away do have power, but I don't know the cottage owners). I'll check out the solar web site, the appeal there being that once you buy the thing, running it is free.
A PDA would be fine for e-mail, but I need to write and edit... need the pb.
Cheers,
Malcolm

ericssonboi
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 30, 2005, 04:03 PM

Cheers,
Malcolm
Regarding checking your e-mail..
If you have a 15" or 17" PB... i'll assume you do since you mention about the AirCard...then you can pop in the card and surf...

ONLY PROBELM is that they might not have roaming agreements to whereever your going..
No roaming agreements = no wireless signal = no e-mailing
If your going that route... i would suggest contacting Bell Mobility or Rogers AT&T about where your going and if its possible to go this route. Also... what wireless pcmcia cards are compatiable with the PB?? I'm looking at one of the SonyEricsson cards... Any suggestions?

beadman
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 30, 2005, 05:01 PM

You might check a local RV supply place, if you have one. I Googled "rv supply" and found http://www.rvsupplywarehouse.com/pro...log.cfm/nid/48 Usual disclaimers: I don't have financial dealings with the company, the industry, I don't own an RV, etc....

beadman
( Last edited by beadman; Jun 30, 2005 at 05:03 PM. Reason: mistyped URL)

f1000
Professional Poster
Jun 30, 2005, 06:39 PM

It looks great... but at something like $6,000, it's a bit steep for me. Wonderful idea, though.
They also sell smaller battery packs for PDAs and cell phones. They might have a UPS available for laptops as well.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jul 1, 2005, 03:04 AM

I say that we all vote the PowerBook off the island, literally! I mean, surely your coworkers can pick up the slack for a week or two!!

Otherwise I'd just look into renting a gasoline generator.

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules