Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > New Apple Genius Ads - Merged

New Apple Genius Ads - Merged
subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 28, 2012, 10:38 AM

http://www.theverge.com/2012/7/28/3197951/apple-olympic-ads-genius-bar-embarass

Wow. That's shockingly bad.

Salty
Professional Poster
Jul 28, 2012, 10:45 AM

The problem is that most Apple Geniuses are idiots. Last time I dealt with the Apple Store in Winnipeg 2 out of the three made me want to punch them in the face because they clearly didn't know what they were talking about. The third one was great though. The actor is cute but the script writer was terrible. The last one was kinda good but he is a little too indecisive.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 28, 2012, 10:51 AM

I've never worked with one who was stupid, but I did work with one who had a big booger in her nose.

I probably should have told her, but that's a weird convo to have with someone you've just met.

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Jul 28, 2012, 07:20 PM

I agree, those are horrible! I almost couldn't watch them. I wonder if they have a new company doing their ads, or what happened.

Salty
Professional Poster
Jul 28, 2012, 08:26 PM

I have to ask, how effective has the whole letter press thing been for Apple? They seem to be trying to make it happen. The problem is they seem to be playing up the way that you can go into the Apple Store to get help, which is nice and all ... but it also kind of sends the message that their products are hard to use.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 28, 2012, 08:32 PM

The last thing I want to imagine an Apple Store employee doing is never taking off that shirt.

freudling
Banned
Jul 28, 2012, 08:39 PM

The ads are terrible.

Annoying humans doing annoying things.

These ads don't highlight any one product: they're confusing and make me feel like there's always going to be something wrong with my Apple gear so we need this little genius fairy on our shoulders.

More rust showing now that Jobs is gone.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 28, 2012, 08:44 PM

They're not good, but you make it sound like it's Ping or something.

andi*pandi
Jul 28, 2012, 10:45 PM

I thought the first one was kind of funny. The second one, so so. The last one, kind of desperate feeling.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 29, 2012, 11:00 AM

I agree with the Verge analysis: all the stupidity of the Dell Guy ads with none of the stoner charm.

andi*pandi
Jul 30, 2012, 05:39 AM

John Moltz has a good overview: The ads aren't aimed at us.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jul 30, 2012, 05:13 PM

These Mac ads are terrible. I was never a big fan of the I'm a PC and I'm a Mac ads, but these are infinitely worse.

http://www.apple.com/mac/videos/#tv-ads-mayday

Viewers Give Apple's 'Genius' Olympic Ads A 'D' For Dumb

New Mac ads: landing with a serious thud

Apple has had a low point or two in its advertising past — but its low points are usually higher than most advertisers’ high points.

This is different. These ads are causing a widespread gagging response, and deservedly so. I honestly can’t remember a single Apple campaign that’s been received so poorly.

--

Mind you, that guy was a big fan of the Mac/PC ads, so I don't completely agree with him either.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 30, 2012, 05:36 PM

*shrug* I liked 'em.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 31, 2012, 06:32 AM

Yes, they do indeed suck.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jul 31, 2012, 07:19 AM

I saw the airplane one on TV and assumed it was Microsoft or similar doing a parody until the end. Horrible ad campaign.

andi*pandi
Jul 31, 2012, 07:38 AM

From a few posts down the page:

http://forums.macnn.com/0/forum/490630/new-apple-ads

If I could figure out how to merge these threads, I would.

[edit: I figured it out. ]

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jul 31, 2012, 01:54 PM

Thanks. I missed that one. Maybe I am in the target market of those ads.

Like this gal...

---

P.S. Your sig doesn't work either.

andi*pandi
Jul 31, 2012, 04:22 PM

unfortunately, no sig images work.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 1, 2012, 01:26 PM

I always write something like "I've never had a bad experience with a Genius" and then it happens.

This was by proxy though.

My ex slopped some cereal on her MBA, and it's shorted a half dozen keys on the keyboard. The computer's otherwise fine. I know this because I did an emergency backup last night, which was a bitch because the shift key is shorted on.

$800.

They tried to force a new mobo, battery, and top case on her. They claimed the USB is toast. Odd, considering how I used it to make the backup last night.

Asshole.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 1, 2012, 07:13 PM

My ex just got back and I had a chance to interrogate her. I'm 99% sure the Genius tried to scam her. I plugged in a flash drive and it worked fine.

The Genius claimed since the USB was dead the mobo must have been hit.

I'm genuinely surprised by this.

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2012, 07:26 PM

Horrible ads. Really bad. Apple doesn't have to hit a home run every time, but c'mon.

Salty
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2012, 09:08 PM

Honestly the Apple Store I don't think really gives the Geniuses enough time to REALLY diagnose anything. Not that I'm sure they always hire people who'd be competent enough to do it in the first place. (Though I would trust the cute blonde one in Winnipeg with the dreamy eyes. He's the only one I'd trust.) I think in many cases they just kinda do one thing and assume that they don't have to think about the process. I took my mom's MacBook in to have the fan changed out since it was making a clicking sound, thus obviously dying. The guy ran a hardware test after it had been asleep, said nope the fan is working. And I'm like, yeah dickward of course it's working properly now it's barely been running, let it heat up and THEN test it. In the end he ended up admitting I was right and it needed a new fan. (Which shouldn't have been an issue since it was off warranty and all I did was ASK for a new fan to be put in, not ask them what the problem was. It's one thing to tell the customer you disagree on a resolution it's another to act as if you just plain won't do it especially if they're willing to pay for it to be done.)

In the end it was a gong show of them telling us that they'd do the disassembly for free because the keyboard and palm rest was covered under a quality program. Then they did all that and tried to give it to us without the new fan because they didn't have the part and had already put it back together. Needless to say I didn't have to tell my mom to rant at the manager, she took care of that herself.

The whole experience left me with a lot less confidence in the Apple Store.

One thing that I REALLY like about working at Shaw is, whenever it comes to compensating a customer for something, or making a situation right, I'm expected to do whatever I think is fair. (Not what I want, what I think is fair.) I get the feeling that within reason Apple Geniuses are already able to do that, I honestly just think that the staffing at the Winnipeg store is lousy. But part of this I think has to do with hiring smily bimbos (male and female) instead of people who are smart enough and well rounded enough to have real problem solving skills. (Did I mention I got turned down after a group interview? They did however call back for a second interview from another one a friend who while she's very nice, knows jack about Macs.)

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 2, 2012, 12:17 AM

Oh wow. Those are terrible. The ads look like someone a competitor(ahem Samsung) would make to make fun of anything Apple.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 2, 2012, 06:00 AM

Oh god oh god oh god...

Geniuses are not flipping trainers.

I cannot count the number of times people scheduled a genius bar appointment and expected me to spend an hour showing them the minutiae behind using iPhoto or iMovie.

If you want to learn how to use your computer and Apple's glorious software bundles, buy a year of One to One.

Also: not all geniuses are idiots. A lot are, but not all of them. The problem is that it's a retail position with fairly mediocre pay (I was at the very low end of what is adequate to live on in the DC metro area), so the ones who know what the hell they're talking about will end up leaving for a job that pays significantly more - or they move up to an Apple corporate position doing something marginally more mentally stimulating.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Aug 12, 2012, 11:26 AM

I like the baby one as it rather implies that there are more important things than using your Mac.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 22, 2012, 10:56 AM

Apple Pulls 'Genius' TV Ads from YouTube and Apple.com

Apple stopped airing the ads on television soon after they were introduced during the Opening Ceremonies of the Olympics, with Apple's ad agency saying they "were intended only for a 'first run' during the Olympics". They remained on YouTube and Apple's website for several weeks, and only in the past several days were they removed entirely.

Apple does tend to remove older advertisements from its website and YouTube over time, but the company still has ads on YouTube from as far back as November 2010.

Forum Links
Forum Rules