Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > OSX Cursors location found.

OSX Cursors location found. (Page 2)
Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Sep 4, 2002, 02:42 PM

Originally posted by inio:

Diff file available here

apply with:

gunzip WaveWait.diff.gz
cp /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/CoreGraphics.framework/Versions/A/CoreGraphics CoreGraphics.bak
cp CoreGraphics.bak CoreGraphics.new
patch CoreGraphics.new < WaveWait.diff
# if that complains at all, see below
sudo cp CoreGraphics.new /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/CoreGraphics.framework/Versions/A/CoreGraphics
<snip>
I copied this in to the terminal line by line, hitting return in-between & dragging the .gt & .diff files from the desktop to the terminal.
I restarted and now I have the 'pulsing' blue sphere, instead of the gaudy spinning beach ball, thanks this hack ROCKS.

Now to attempt izawa's 'putting the Happy Mac back in the boot screen' hack

dwishbone
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 4, 2002, 03:13 PM

once again followed this step by step. even did it in ROOT this time. still does not work.
the terminal reported no errors in any step
24" iMac 2.13ghz C2D | 15" MBP 2ghz CD | "Soundwave" 60GB 5G iPod

fetopher
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 4, 2002, 03:14 PM

I just did it too!!!! I tried earlier and failed, but tried again and succeded. I think what matters is when you press enter and such.

Here's how I did it:

(type) gunzip (drag to terminal) WaveWait.diff.gz
(press enter)
cp /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/CoreGraphics.framework/Versions/A/CoreGraphics CoreGraphics.bak
(press enter)
(press enter)
(press enter)
sudo cp CoreGraphics.new /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/
(press enter)
(restart)
(Yipee!!!!)

Thanks for the hack.

Oh yeah, and the BootX hack works great too.
Me
Dual 2.6GHz Intel Xeon | 23" Apple Cinema Display | 13" MacBook | 15" AluBook 1.67 GHz | 1.42 GHz Mac mini | 50" NEC Plasma | Tiger | 80GB iPod Video | 60GB iPod photo | 4GB iPod mini | 1GB iPod shuffle | 4GB iPod nano

nycdunz
Senior User
Sep 4, 2002, 03:16 PM

can i use the aqua blue blob instead of that file and use that hack instead? i want the old aqua blue ball like from build 6c98 and lower.... will it work with this hack or do i have to use that file?

diamondsw
Senior User
Sep 4, 2002, 03:25 PM

Originally posted by nycdunz:
can i use the aqua blue blob instead of that file and use that hack instead? i want the old aqua blue ball like from build 6c98 and lower.... will it work with this hack or do i have to use that file?
As has been said by many, the old one was 14 frames, but the new pinwheel is only 6 frames. As far as we can tell, adding frames without their original code is not possible (it could move code fragments around and other nastiness).

dwishbone
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 4, 2002, 03:29 PM

CURSES!
what the frig am I doing wrong.
It will not replace that pinwheel. ARRGGHH!

I followed the first set right. I hit enter in all the right places.
I did everything. I did it exactly like fetopher and it still doesnt work.

Mac Guru
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2002, 03:51 PM

I just did it too!!!! I tried earlier and failed, but tried again and succeded. I think what matters is when you press enter and such.

Here's how I did it:

(type) gunzip (drag to terminal) WaveWait.diff.gz
(press enter)
(press enter)
(press enter)
(press enter)
sudo cp CoreGraphics.new /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/
(press enter)
(restart)
(Yipee!!!!)
Did it EXACTLY like you said and ZILCH. I still have that annoying pinwheel. WTH am I doing wrong?

Mac Guru

ryju
Professional Poster
Sep 4, 2002, 04:53 PM

Umm is there any chance of these hacks working in 10.1.5?

fetopher
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 4, 2002, 05:12 PM

HMMM.... I dont know what could be going wrong. Maybe inio could verify where I placed the enters. Maybe I just got lucky, or maybe I didnt correctly recall where I had pressed enter.

I'm sorry. I'll work on figuring out what went wrong.
Me
Dual 2.6GHz Intel Xeon | 23" Apple Cinema Display | 13" MacBook | 15" AluBook 1.67 GHz | 1.42 GHz Mac mini | 50" NEC Plasma | Tiger | 80GB iPod Video | 60GB iPod photo | 4GB iPod mini | 1GB iPod shuffle | 4GB iPod nano

Liquidity X
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2002, 05:38 PM

ok, well lets get this into an app now, can't be to hard ot make.

Liquidity X
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2002, 05:48 PM

Originally posted by IceEnclosure:

Well here yah this one follows apple's graphite theme colorization by apples aqua color rules exactly, just like my whole theme.

get it in .psd format off my d/l section on my homepage. http://homepage.mac.com/liquidityx

inio
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 4, 2002, 06:15 PM

The more recently posted ones are wrong. You should do:

sudo cp CoreGraphics.new /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/CoreGraphics.framework/Versions/A/CoreGraphics

as the last command. That's all one line.

As for the people who it's not working for, you have to restart for the change to take effect. Besides that I don't have any ideas as to what's going wrong.

For those that want the 15-frame blob, it isn't happening with anything like this method. That would require additional software that patches whatever calls CG is making to set up the current 6-frame idle cursor and replace it with the old 15-frame cursor.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Sep 4, 2002, 07:33 PM

could someone possibly post all the cursors in png format? I'd like to do a windows port of the cursors, in all their 32-bit glory I especially want the real rainbow cursor in 10.2. I need a lil aqua on my pc

*png would be best*

thanks,
Chris
( Last edited by kmkkid; Sep 4, 2002 at 07:39 PM. )

mrtew
Professional Poster
Sep 4, 2002, 07:58 PM

Originally posted by inio:
The more recently posted ones are wrong. You should do:
as the last command.

I did it successfully without the terminal, just using the finder to do all that complex stuff with a little drag and drop action. The only thing I used the terminal for is the patch command... what is that anyway? Is there a way to do that without the terminal?

Nice wavy blob by the way... I just wish I could see it for more than half a second at a time... does anyone know of a program that will bog the system down for long enough to really get a good look at it?

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

mogura
Sep 4, 2002, 08:13 PM

Give IE a try.

Where did you put your "WaveWait.diff" file for patching? My main problem was that i couldn't gunzip it in the terminal.

mog

gdiddy
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 4, 2002, 08:49 PM

Awesome! How can I modify the .diff file and make my own?

Adding to the confusion. This worked for me. You can use Stuffit to decompress the WaveWait.diff.gz.

Then....

In the terminal:

(press enter)

(press enter)

patch CoreGraphics.new < (drag WaveWait.diff into terminal. Don't forget the space ie < WaveWait.diff)

(press enter)

(press enter)

(restart)

fetopher
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 4, 2002, 08:55 PM

Also, to use gunzip in the terminal all you ahve to do is type gunzip then drag the .gz file to the terminal, then press enter. It should do its thing and put the .diff file in the same directory as the .gz file.

Stuffit works best though.
Me

fetopher
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 4, 2002, 08:56 PM

BTW, how does one create a 6 framed .diff file.
Is it hard?
Me

dwishbone
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 4, 2002, 09:02 PM

YES YES YES
it must have been the last line that did it. i used the new "sudo" line inio posted worked. i used the rest as originally posted. now have the droplet. WAHOO!!! bye bye pinwheel.

now all we gotta know is...HOW THE HECK DO YOU MAKE ONE? :-)

I have lost track of whoever came up with this trick, but mind if I do an article about it for Macsatin?

AU_student_iceBook
Senior User
Sep 4, 2002, 09:53 PM

anybody know why it would say "Command not found" after just trying to run gunzip?
Teminal also won't let me run "top" or "uptime".
Please advise.
Thanks.

Mac Guru
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2002, 10:38 PM

THANKS, gdiddy that did it! Thanks a ton... can you post instructions on how we can make our own .diff files?

Mac Guru

nycdunz
Senior User
Sep 4, 2002, 11:36 PM

have you guys tried this app yet?

it says you can change cursors n stuff with this app, check it out, it might work...

http://www.macchampion.com/pinpoint_features.shtml

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
Sep 5, 2002, 01:16 AM

Common, enough with the wave blob already, help us find out how to get that sweet 15 frame aqua blob instead!

If any one feel like looking at it I can upload the CoreGraphics containing the blob, if it will help.

I actually tried just replacing the coregraphics, but the older one is a 100k smaller in size so there is some difference I guess and therefore it didn't work..

And every time I try to insert a new cursor into the CoreGraphics and switch it, the system becomes unusable and I have to restore the original one.. I'd appriciate it if someone could explain how you insert a modified .raw file into the coregraphics. What settings you should do in photoshop etc..

gdiddy
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 5, 2002, 02:16 PM

Anyone? Anything?

Originally posted by bOOzo:
Common, enough with the wave blob already, help us find out how to get that sweet 15 frame aqua blob instead!

If any one feel like looking at it I can upload the CoreGraphics containing the blob, if it will help.

I actually tried just replacing the coregraphics, but the older one is a 100k smaller in size so there is some difference I guess and therefore it didn't work..

And every time I try to insert a new cursor into the CoreGraphics and switch it, the system becomes unusable and I have to restore the original one.. I'd appriciate it if someone could explain how you insert a modified .raw file into the coregraphics. What settings you should do in photoshop etc..

himself
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2002, 05:05 PM

Man, I just wanna make my own... I've got a couple sweeet ideas...
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

fetopher
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 5, 2002, 08:02 PM

So does anyone know how to create a .diff?
Help.
Please?
Me

dr. zoidberg
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 6, 2002, 05:22 AM

louis? moki? rickster? ...? where are the grands when you need 'em...
"And Zapp Brannigan, your score qualifies you as assistant delivery boy, second class."
"Hmm. I guess I'll have to sleep my way to the top. Kif, wake me when I'm there."

joltguy
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 6, 2002, 07:58 AM

Okay, time to focus on what's *really* important again. I have an iBook 600 (no QE) and I want that drop-shadow arrow cursor. I can live with the rainbow, but I'll be damned if I'm gonna have a shadowless arrow roaming around my desktop!!!

unfaded
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 6, 2002, 12:06 PM

Originally posted by joltguy:
Okay, time to focus on what's *really* important again. I have an iBook 600 (no QE) and I want that drop-shadow arrow cursor. I can live with the rainbow, but I'll be damned if I'm gonna have a shadowless arrow roaming around my desktop!!!
While I'm getting continously more freightened that this is not possible and is really drawn IN QE, I really want my drop-shadowed cursor as well :o(

himself
Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2002, 05:24 AM

Originally posted by unfaded:

While I'm getting continously more freightened that this is not possible and is really drawn IN QE, I really want my drop-shadowed cursor as well :o(
this thread explains how to enable QE on ANY machine that can run Jaguar. (even on PCI graphics...)

Now, back to the topic of this thread... I've created a new watch cursor (aqua style!). All I need to know is how to make it into a .diff, or whatever format is proper...
-John Crichton

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
Sep 7, 2002, 09:57 AM

Originally posted by himself:

Now, back to the topic of this thread... I've created a new watch cursor (aqua style!). All I need to know is how to make it into a .diff, or whatever format is proper...
What do you mean by aqua style? Is it the 15 frame blob? If so, have you tried it??

ShotgunEd
Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2002, 12:37 PM

Originally posted by himself:

this thread explains how to enable QE on ANY machine that can run Jaguar. (even on PCI graphics...)

That hack only works on PCI Radeons. It won't work on the 2001 iBook because the Rage128 Mobility does not allow irregularly sized textures plus it doesn't have enough VRAM. The hack will however work with a PCI Radeon.

How do we make diff files?

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 7, 2002, 07:25 PM

Originally posted by nycdunz:
have you guys tried this app yet?

it says you can change cursors n stuff with this app, check it out, it might work...

http://www.macchampion.com/pinpoint_features.shtml
heh, from that apps FAQ page:

Why doesn't PinPoint completely replace the pointer_?
We have not found a way to replace the pointer globaly. If we do, we'll certainly look into that. But this would probably only replace the basic arrow pointer, which would limit the functionality.

-Owl

himself
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2002, 01:35 AM

What do you mean by aqua style? Is it the 15 frame blob? If so, have you tried it??
I simply changed the the 15 frame blob into a watch face in Photoshop, but since I don't know how to convert the file to the proper format (.diff, I guess) I can't test it to see if it works...

btw: this is the 6 frame version, which I suspect would run a lot faster in 10.2 as a cursor... the animation needs to be smoothed out a bit as well, but this is generally it.

I'm working on different variations, but I want to try it out on the system. I have to admit, though, the new rainbow cursor isn't bad at all, especially when compared to the 10.1 version.
( Last edited by himself; Sep 8, 2002 at 01:43 AM. )
-John Crichton

mogura
Sep 8, 2002, 11:53 AM

That is some sweet work there, himself. I can't see why we can't do the same with the 'blue blob', such as the old OS 9 wait cursor commonly found in Internet Explorer.

Now I must admit i suck at working in hex code, but it would be ideal if we could find out how to make these .diff files like the one inio made a while back.

smeger
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2002, 03:26 PM

A .diff file is essentially a patch file. You can see how to create one by typing 'man diff' in terminal. You give diff the old file and the new file, and it creates a .diff that contains the differences between them.

So, you don't want to create a .diff. You actually have to edit the raw hex yourself, and then you can create a .diff to more easily distribute your changes.

Hope this helps!
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

Hi I'm Mike
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 8, 2002, 08:30 PM

nope i still don't know how to "create" or even "edit" a .diff file.. I would like to edit the WaveWait.diff and make it into an orange bloop instead of blue since i have an orange iMac.. please if you can go more in depth about this .diff stuff

himself
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2002, 08:43 PM

Originally posted by smeger:
A .diff file is essentially a patch file. You can see how to create one by typing 'man diff' in terminal. You give diff the old file and the new file, and it creates a .diff that contains the differences between them.

So, you don't want to create a .diff. You actually have to edit the raw hex yourself, and then you can create a .diff to more easily distribute your changes.

Hope this helps!
Now that you put it that way...

I might leave this to the pros. But, if someone could tell me the correct hex address for the blob, I might be able to add it myself
-John Crichton

himself
Mac Elite
Sep 10, 2002, 12:46 AM

Arrrrghhh!

I just tried replacing the spinning cursor in the CoreGraphics file with a custom spinning cursor... It worked! except for the weird transparency that doesn't really look that hot... It may be because I saved the .raw file as text instead of as a binary... Oh well, back to the lab again.
-John Crichton

Hi I'm Mike
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 10, 2002, 12:51 AM

I tried but still didn't have any success..

himself
Mac Elite
Sep 10, 2002, 01:11 AM

Success!

And it looks damn good...

[edit]
I'll post screenshots & instructions when I get the chance... the animation is fast, but I guess that's what you get with a 6-frame animation. It is smooth, though.
-John Crichton

iRebound
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 10, 2002, 02:18 AM

nice! i use gdiddy's instruction and it works great. i really love this new aqua blob

oscar
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 10, 2002, 02:57 AM

Originally posted by AU_student_iceBook:
anybody know why it would say "Command not found" after just trying to run gunzip?
Teminal also won't let me run "top" or "uptime".
Please advise.
Thanks.
Open Disk Utility, and Repair your permissions.

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
Sep 10, 2002, 02:01 PM

Hey! Look what I made!

Since I couldn't figure out how to get the original blob into the system, I decided with a compromise and made this blob instead. You can click the image to download it, it's a .raw file so you have to insert it and all that stuff manually..

diamondsw
Senior User
Sep 10, 2002, 02:19 PM

Hey! Look what I made!

Since I couldn't figure out how to get the original blob into the system, I decided with a compromise and made this blob instead. You can click the image to download it, it's a .raw file so you have to insert it and all that stuff manually..
Diff file... diff file...

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
Sep 10, 2002, 03:12 PM

Originally posted by diamondsw:

Diff file... diff file...

I would make one, if I knew how to..

Anyway, I just updated the download with a better looking blob.

invisibleX
Mac Elite
Sep 10, 2002, 03:59 PM

I can live with the Psychedelic Beachball of Death, but I hate the pointer

Can anyone change it? I was thinking something like the cursor that you get when you drag-copy a file with a very light shadow.
-"I don't believe in God. "
"That doesn't matter. He believes in you."

-"I'm not agnostic. Just nonpartisan. Theological Switzerland, that's me."

diamondsw
Senior User
Sep 10, 2002, 04:00 PM

I would make one, if I knew how to..

Anyway, I just updated the download with a better looking blob.
Regardless, you still rock. When I get off of work I'll see if I can't get this working. The man pages can't be that complex - it's the current state of hex editing on OS X that I fear more.

smeger
Mac Elite
Sep 10, 2002, 05:29 PM

diff originalFile newFile > myDiffFile.diff

originalFile is the path of the original file.
newFile is the path of the new file
myDiffFile.diff is the .diff file you want to create.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

mogura
Sep 10, 2002, 10:22 PM

To quote the infamous Ellen Fiess, "Huh?"

What is that supposed to mean? We can just change the .raw to .diff?

Forum Links
Forum Rules