Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Please Share Quicken 2003 Problems/ Solutions

Please Share Quicken 2003 Problems/ Solutions
TT Esq
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 10, 2002, 09:48 PM

I've always been one of the first adopters of every incarnation of Quicken -- but Quicken 2003 is the first time that I've really regretted it. I've had a slew of problems, and it is quite apparent that Q2003 was not quite ready for prime time.

This is too bad, because I have a lot of investments and investment transactions, and Q2003 was (finally) supposed to have better support for investment transactions, such as stock splits.

But I have had nothing but problems, and I wanted to see if anyone else shares these problems, and, better yet, if anyone knows of any solutions.

These are the main problems that I am having:

1. It crashes constantly, unexpectedly quitting. I frequently see this problem when I change a transaction and when I get online transactions from my bank. This is really frustrating.

2. It can be s-l-o-w-w-w-w-w!!! I have a 450 MHz G4 with nothing else running, and things such as redraws of graphs and scrolling of registers are noticeably much slower than Q2002.

3. There is a file conversion bug -- some reconciled transactions become unreconciled. When I went to balance my checking, all transactions back to 2000 were not showing reconciled!!! Then when I went to balance my checkbook, it was about $300 off. Since I download my bank's transactions, it's never been off before. Something got "lost," and I have no idea what, but this can be frustrating.

4. Now -- I am getting errors in my reporting!!! While my Brokerage account register shows the proper balance, and all of my holdings are shown properly, the reporting shows the current value as almost three times what the account is really worth!!! I WISH!!! But I cannot figure out what might be going on.

If anyone else has had these, or other, problems, please share. . .thanks.

Mongrel
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 10, 2002, 11:54 PM

Never experienced any of those - but I only use it for checkbook balancing. The bug that pops up at me frequently is a display bug, wher the highlight are becomes inversed, numbers vanish, etc... and sometimes it even effects entries - mui bad.
Grrr...rawr.

mogura
Oct 11, 2002, 07:53 PM

One problem I've been having with Quicken for as long as I can remember is with Scheduled Transactions. The only way I've been able to actually record any Scheduled Transactions is by toggling between the number of transactions and the unlimited option. Its not a major problem, but it does diminish the feature a bit.

Currently, I'm using 2003 with OS 10.2.1.

PHoynak
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 11, 2002, 10:40 PM

It is buggy for me also. I just use it to track my income vs expenses. Quit on me a few times so far. Disappointed that they have not updated it yet.

mediahound
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 13, 2002, 03:53 PM

i was dissapointed that my bank (Wells Fargo) will not allow me to use the older version, once i've connected to online banking with the new version just one time.

my data file was corrupt after importing my file from Quicken 2000 to Quicken 2003. i had to archive the transactions and start fresh. in my case, this was probably a good idea, since a few of my accounts were large and went back to 1998.

after this problem Quicken 2003 seems ok but i do wish they would come out with an updater for it because i don't really trust is that much currently...

Meadowfield
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 31, 2002, 12:14 PM

Rebuilding the data file (search maintenance in Help) failed to address my greatest 2003 concern - Duplicate transaction downloads of transactions that you have already cleared. They'll come up Matched and you'll notice the highlighted transaction in the register portion below already has a "C". If you Accept it inadvertantly you'll have big trouble come reconcile day. 2000~2 didn't have this anomaly.

mediahound
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 31, 2002, 12:21 PM

the latest update seems to fix most problems. for me, it fix all of them~!

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 6, 2003, 12:49 AM

Quicken 2003 has serious issues. This is what I've found so far ....

1. Scroll wheel support is spotty at best. You would think that the scroll wheel would work on any window with a vertical scroll bar. Unfortunately, this is not the case. While the scroll wheel works in a "register" window or in many of the "list" windows, it simply doesn't work in the "download" window and many other places. This was one of the main reasons why I upgraded, because from a functionality standpoint Quicken 2002 did everything I needed it to with the exception of supporting the scroll wheel. This is quite pathetic! I mean how difficult is it to implement a frickin scroll wheel event handler?

2. The Download window quite simply sucks. If you have a large number of downloaded transactions the application is likely to unexpectedly quit .... and quite often at that. Especially when clicking the "Unmatch" button.

3. The "Unmatch" button is completely screwed up. Clicking it with one transaction selected doesn't simply change the status to "New", it causes the application to apparently repeat the "matching" process. This can take forever when you have a bunch of downloaded transactions. This is a big step backward because the Unmatch process in Quicken 2002 was instant! Additionally, the "Status" won't visibly change until you click Unmatch a second or third time. If you click it with multiple transactions selected, the same problems occur ... however, only the first transaction seems to be processed. Why allow the user to select multiple transactions and click Unmatch it the first transaction is the only one that will be processed? The button should disabled in this situation.

4. The so-called "Matching" process is just plain stupid. I can't count times that it has "matched" a downloaded transaction with one already in the register based upon the Payee/Description and Category fields alone. Even when the Date field is different. So I have December ATM withdrawals that have a "Matched" status with a November register transaction! Fricking IDIOTS! The only time a downloaded transaction should be matched with a register transaction with a different date is when there is a match on the Check Number! Other than that it should be treated as a "New" transaction!

That's all I've found so far. But considering how I've only used the new version once, this is not an encouraging sign. BTW, I'm using Quicken 2003 v. 10.0.2 - R3.

OAW

MOMkatJ
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 21, 2003, 08:29 AM

I too have had LOTS of problems with Q2003 and also regret the upgrade.

I am on the edge of tossing Quicken except that it is so handy for Bill paying online.

Major problems I commonly see that you did not mention:

1. When trying to create a report, it often ask if I want to change the font of the report - changes it whether I answer yes or no - then will do an unexpected quit.

2. When come to the end of a find, ask me if I want to continue find at the beginning - does it even if I answer NO.

3. trying to set up a budget:

a. Quicken would put it's own values into some catagories.

b. Quicken would not update total of a catagory when there were sub-catagories. Would have to quit Quicken and relaunch for it to update.

4. Sometimes, Quicken refuses to print a report - print dilog does not appear.

TT Esq  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 23, 2003, 12:25 AM

I was starting to have problems with Quicken doing more "unexpected quits" than usual. So I went to re-install Q2003.

Since only R1 is on the CD, I went to the Intuit site to get R3 (the latest that I had).

Interestingly -- on the update website, you can't get R3 (or any Q2003 update for that matter), but there is a note that "R4 will be available soon."

I wonder how many of these problems are going to be solved in R4 -- or if there is some unexpected big bug with R3??? It's kind of odd to see that R3 was pulled without any announcement or anything. . . .

I wonder. . . .

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 23, 2003, 10:03 AM

I've thought about getting a copy of Quicken a number of times. I have a number of different accounts and investments all over the world. I wanted to able for example to input my Norwegian bank account balance in Kroner, the Apple share price in $ and my investment in France Telecom in Euros and then have Quicken give me my NAV in Euros. It never used to be able to do that. Anyone know if this is now possible?

proux
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 23, 2003, 02:30 PM

Well my experience is not as bad. Never had a crash but plenty of mostly cosmetic bugs: window stuck when modifying a transaction, wierdness in the budget window, some transactions not reported well in the credit card insight window, net worth graph messed up. No show stopper but more a big annoyance.
Then there is the speed problem. It is SLOW on a 500mhz cube I mean how bad can it be for a program whis is a souped up database with not that fancy graphs and icons...

With multi-currency support this program could be a killer. Anyway it's not like there is much alternative. Let's wait for R4, or Q2004!

as2
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2003, 06:27 AM

Just one problem....

Intuit UK only make a PC version.....

I can use Quicken 2003 for Mac OS X, but all my accounts are in $ and I can't use any of the online services.
[img=http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/1300/desktj.jpg]

Forum Links
Forum Rules