Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Best Minimalism Icon Sets....

Best Minimalism Icon Sets....
Aluminum
Forum Regular
Oct 4, 2004, 04:32 PM

for system replacement and dock would be? I would have to vote for serenity for a semi system replacement and dock. I use WOA 2 Rev Folders and some Serenity icons. What else do you guys use? If everyone has seen my latest snap I am using the GANT icons with a relatively minimal setup Any thoughts are welcome as always.
15.2" Al/1.25ghz/1gig/Superdrive/80(5400)

Ozzpot
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 4, 2004, 04:49 PM

Originally posted by Aluminum:
for system replacement and dock would be? I would have to vote for serenity for a semi system replacement and dock. I use WOA 2 Rev Folders and some Serenity icons. What else do you guys use? If everyone has seen my latest snap I am using the GANT icons with a relatively minimal setup Any thoughts are welcome as always.
David Lanham's Puft Icons?
iMac G5 17" 2.0ghz 1.5gb RAM MacOS10.4 • iBook G4 14" 933mhz 768mb RAM MacOS10.4 • iPod Touch 16gb

FB Eye
Senior User
Oct 4, 2004, 05:28 PM

For me, minimalist means either Translucent System or Bezel Icons...

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Oct 4, 2004, 05:31 PM

Originally posted by FB Eye:
For me, minimalist means either Translucent System or Bezel Icons...
Yup Bezel Icons.
click one

afterglow
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 4, 2004, 06:11 PM

Can't get more minimalist than Simple Icons by Mastif

olorin15
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 4, 2004, 09:12 PM

Originally posted by NetworkShadow:
Yup Bezel Icons.
One more vote for bezels!
Dopeler effect: The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they
come at you rapidly

Aluminum  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 4, 2004, 10:01 PM

thanks for all the input, how about this setup, http://www.macsnaps.com/snaps/screengrab/1096889011.jpg

if you guys were using that setup what dock icons would you go with to match up the theme in the best way possible? I am using gant right now for a little funk, but I am thinking about going to a full out match. Love to hear other opinions
15.2" Al/1.25ghz/1gig/Superdrive/80(5400)

Gerrit Vanoppen
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 5, 2004, 07:15 AM

Evidently I'll throw in my vote for heylove's Serenity icons. I just can't get enough of them.
You may want to check her latest set Shaded - I'm not too crazy about them though.

Here's SimpleThings from Whistl3r, a little less minimal.

You like abstraction ? Take a look at grayhouse - check his gallery for BOX icons. I've used some of his seri3 here in the underling theme (mod to fit underling - with author's permission).

I try to achieve true minimalism by reducing the folder icons to just 3 : generic, system stuff (music, library, movies...), user specific (home, app's, others you might put in the Finder sidebar).
Furthermore, I've reduced the drive icons to 3 : intern, extern, network. No usb, firewire, etc icons.

Applications are perhaps the biggest challenge. Here is an old dock I based on the Typo icons - the idea was to have the app extension as their icon. Unfortunately, this only worked well in a vertical dock (imagine this at the bottom of your screen : FINCADXLSDOCAPPWEBPREMAPSYS BIN).

Go on, give it your best shot. I'm sure GANT isn't in your circomstances.

Forum Links
Forum Rules