Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Firefox 1.0 soon

Firefox 1.0 soon (Page 2)
Mac Guru
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2004, 11:14 AM

Ok, so how does one import their Camino Bookmarks? I can't find any info on this anywhere.

Mac Guru

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 27, 2004, 11:20 AM

I imagine the format is the same, so... drag the bookmarks.html file from your Camino profile to your Firefox profile?

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Sep 27, 2004, 11:54 AM

Originally posted by wataru:
I imagine the format is the same, so... drag the bookmarks.html file from your Camino profile to your Firefox profile?
Last I checked, Camino actually had its own XML-based bookmarks format, while Mozilla and Firefox still used HTML-based formats. Admittedly, this data is old, and so it may have changed.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

nooon
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 27, 2004, 12:01 PM

I'm pretty sure Camino can both import and export bookmarks from the file-menu.

Krypton
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2004, 12:38 PM

Originally posted by nooon:
I'm pretty sure Camino can both import and export bookmarks from the file-menu.
Correct!!

G-Force
Sep 28, 2004, 12:32 PM

I must say Firefox is really getting great. After dropping my .mac account, I was really bothered by the fact I lost the ability to sync bookmarks between computers. I looked at omniweb as a possibility as it will sync bookmarks with any webdav server. But it's $30 and seems to be slow compared to Safari and Firefox. Then I found the Firefox bookmark synchronizer extension. It lets me sync my bookmarks with multiple computers using my ftp server. It works great, and it provides me with a suitable replacement for isync.

The version on the mozilla page won't work with 1.0PR but the author of the extension has posted an updated version on his site that will.

http://cgi29.plala.or.jp/~mozzarel/a.../bookmarksftp/

SafariX
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2004, 02:18 AM

Anyone have any statistics on browser speed?

I just downloaded Firefox tonight on my 2x2 G5 and it seems faster than Safari. Is there any sufficient quantitative evidence of it being faster?

nooon
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 9, 2004, 11:58 AM

Originally posted by G-Force:
I must say Firefox is really getting great. After dropping my .mac account, I was really bothered by the fact I lost the ability to sync bookmarks between computers. I looked at omniweb as a possibility as it will sync bookmarks with any webdav server. But it's $30 and seems to be slow compared to Safari and Firefox. Then I found the Firefox bookmark synchronizer extension. It lets me sync my bookmarks with multiple computers using my ftp server. It works great, and it provides me with a suitable replacement for isync.

The version on the mozilla page won't work with 1.0PR but the author of the extension has posted an updated version on his site that will.

http://cgi29.plala.or.jp/~mozzarel/a.../bookmarksftp/
Great find! Thanks for the heads-up, dude

CarbonG4
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 9, 2004, 02:24 PM

edit: nevermind me...

//Carbon
( Last edited by CarbonG4; Oct 9, 2004 at 02:32 PM. )

:: Carbon Themes v1.5 ::

G-Force
Oct 9, 2004, 04:15 PM

Originally posted by nooon:
Great find! Thanks for the heads-up, dude
Glad you like it! I just hope the author keeps updating it to work with the new firefox releases.

yukon
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2004, 11:00 PM

Managed to find a set of extensions that almost duplicate iCab's most useful features....just need a "whitelist" for adding sites so they can use Javascript, cookies, etc. The updates broke my previous extension set (ex. Prefbar was never updated), after spending some time on it, it's even better ;-)

I'm finding Firefox on OS X to be much faster than Safari, yet still slow to open a new window or tab, at least compared to iCab and Firefox on Windows & Linux. They seem to have fixed some of the worst visual defects in .10 that bothered me, hopefully the "aquification" release won't just be visual, but to improve launch time and performance on OS X.
[img]broken link[/img]
This insanity brought to you by:
The French CBC, driving antenna users mad since 1937.

osxisfun
Oct 10, 2004, 12:47 PM

just downloaded and used firefox 1.01 security update.

its works.

hmm..

installed sage just for the heck of it. i like the way it installs extensions.

Aluminum
Forum Regular
Oct 11, 2004, 01:35 AM

what is the difference between camino and firefox anyhow, safari's days are numbered for me unless they fix some issue with gmail(having to reload the page after it tries to load the first time) and with many financial sites, where there are many issues. Firefox is rock solid and fast, plus themeable.
15.2" Al/1.25ghz/1gig/Superdrive/80(5400)

yukon
Mac Elite
Oct 11, 2004, 02:02 AM

Camino is native Cocoa, but it doesn't have the features Firefox does (like extensions). If you just like to browse, you'll find Camino more pleasant. If you like to interpret webpages in certain ways, have control over more things, go with Firefox. Camino is essentially a replacement for Safari, you could say Firefox is like Safari being able to add PithHelmet.

Forum Links
Forum Rules