Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Mouse Pointer 'Dissapears' When Connected to External Display

Mouse Pointer 'Dissapears' When Connected to External Display
sworthy
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2005, 07:26 PM

Sometimes when I plug my powerbook into my ACD the mouse pointer disappears. The mouse is still recognized (I can scrub over the dock and click on the desktop, but I cannot see the pointer arrow).

This usually occurs when I put my powerbook (12" Rev B) to sleep, plug in my 20" ACD (old version) and push the power button on the display to wake it. Confusingly, it doesn't happen every-time and my solution to fix it (put it back to sleep and wake it up again), only works sometimes as well. Also, this has happened once after disconnecting the powerbook from the monitor and using it on the road.

Has anyone ever experienced anything like this?

I'm running in clamshell mode by the way, and everything worked flawlessly until the last few weeks.

Again the problem started a couple of weeks ago, but today while operating my powerbook without the monitor I got the strangest crash... any connection?

Here's a picture of the crash:

iREZ
Professional Poster
Jan 14, 2005, 08:09 PM

I posted about this subject already........best bet for me right now is to put the machine back to sleep and open in spanning mode if I was in clamshell or vice versa and then go back to the original way I want to work on my machine. So try starting in CS mode and if you get no mouse, put to sleep and start up in spanning mode then put to sleep and put back in clamshell...works for me but a real pain in the ass.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

webintosh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 15, 2005, 03:23 PM

Originally posted by sworthy:
Sometimes when I plug my powerbook into my ACD the mouse pointer disappears. The mouse is still recognized (I can scrub over the dock and click on the desktop, but I cannot see the pointer arrow).

This usually occurs when I put my powerbook (12" Rev B) to sleep, plug in my 20" ACD (old version) and push the power button on the display to wake it. Confusingly, it doesn't happen every-time and my solution to fix it (put it back to sleep and wake it up again), only works sometimes as well. Also, this has happened once after disconnecting the powerbook from the monitor and using it on the road.

Has anyone ever experienced anything like this?
I've been having the same issue and like yours, it just started during the last couple of weeks. Perhaps this is a 10.3.7 bug or something.

Going back into sleep mode hasn't worked for me. I have to either restart or blindly navigate to the display pref panel and click "detect displays." And that's no fun.

mduser63
Jan 17, 2005, 01:30 AM

I've had this same problem with my 12" PB in the last couple weeks. However, in my case it happens when I've had my PB hooked up to an external display in spanning mode. I put the PB to sleep with it still hooked up to the monitor, then later pull the monitor connection out (with it still asleep) and wake it to use it portable. Sometimes when I do this the mouse cursor is gone. Sleeping it again then waking it again doesn't fix it. I hadn't tried doing the detect displays thing. I'll have to try that next time it happens. Anyway, it's annoying, and I hope Apple will fix it in the future.
12" 1.33 GHz SD Powerbook - 768 MB RAM

Forum Links
Forum Rules