Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Spotlight iPhoto albums

Spotlight iPhoto albums
mixmastabob
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 30, 2005, 07:19 PM

Before you tell me to download the newest iPhoto, let me tell you that I already have the update. Anyway, what Ive noticed is that iPhoto indexes my old photos for spotlight but not my new ones. My older photos were imported when I still had panther and I placed the iphoto library in the new pictures directory after I did a clean install of Tiger and iLife 05. Is there a way to get iPhoto to reindex the pictures?

I have already tried trashing the ipspot file and the method of adding keywords to the pictures, again, it only indexes the older pictures for some reason and not the newer ones. This is driving me nuts

mixmastabob  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 30, 2005, 07:36 PM

I just came up with an example to explain this a little better.

I have a photo album in iPhoto called birthdays. The pictures that i put in that album pre-Tiger show up, however, I added photos to it after I installed Tiger and those are the ones that don't show up.

ntt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 1, 2005, 02:00 AM

This seems to be the same for me, too.
I'm gonna check permissions and reboot and see how things go.
http://bestbits.ii.net/ for widgets and more

ntt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 1, 2005, 02:36 AM

Oops. I only have iPhoto 4. No spotlight on iPhoto for me.
http://bestbits.ii.net/ for widgets and more

mixmastabob  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 1, 2005, 02:51 AM

Bump for a solution =(

mixmastabob  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 3, 2005, 09:57 PM

One last time for the weekday crowd.

ideasculptor
Forum Regular
May 4, 2005, 12:00 AM

I have a similar problem in iTunes. I keep my iTunes music in a folder outside of Music/iTunes. Spotlight knows nothing about the 70GB of songs in my iTunes music library, but if I import a disk and leave the songs in the iTunes directory (instead of moving them and then 'add to library'), they show up in spotlight searches. It appears that spotlight has issues with indexing metadata about files that are not stored in the default iApp location.

Big fat bug, if you ask me.

--sam

themexican
May 4, 2005, 12:08 AM

even worse you can have a standard iphoto installation in which you've selected an iphoto library on an external drive (totally kosher, nothing weird about this), but if it's not in your personal home folder spotlight can't see either metadata or album data. Big bug. Especially dissapointing as I've been religious about keywords.

Annoyingly Photoshop keywords show up no problem (and almost the instant you add them). This is annoying because I used to only do keywords in photoshop and switched to iphoto a few months ago.

As for a solution, I think everyone should leave feedback on the apple site and hope for a fix in 10.4.1.

Forum Links
Forum Rules