Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > Apple Network Server

Apple Network Server
nucFlash
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 13, 2005, 12:23 PM

I apologize if this is the wrong forum for this post, but it seemed to fit better than any other considering the age of the machine. Anyway,...

I have an idea. I have been sitting and pondering the Apple Network Servers for a while. I have seem them occasionally appear on eBay and have thought of buying one as a Mac collectable, but am kinda put off by its aged 200 MHz. 604e processor. I am up to my limit in useless collectables and can only really justify the expense (both in my real-estate and in shipping of such a bulky item) if I could use it as some type of server at home, even if it was just a simple music/video server. I am afraid, however, that a 200 MHz. 604e just won't be up to the task (I was also considering using it as an Internet gateway).

I have researched the Network Servers for several months now and they look very similar to the Oldworld Macs of their day (such as the 9500/9600 Power Macs) architecturally. This led me to a my question, is it possible to install a G3 upgrade (I have no interest in a G4 upgrade) built and designed for a Power Mac 9500/9600 in an Apple Network Server?

If not, what other alternatives might I have?

I am very interested in starting this project, but all nostalgia aside, I am aware that it might not be possible to use a relatively ancient piece of hardware for anything useful, and if this is the case,...

sine -''-..-
Grizzled Veteran
Location: meow meow meow meow, meow meow meow meow, meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meo
May 13, 2005, 01:04 PM

Well I had two ANS 500s (one of which I've sold, the other I've got to get out of storage today hopefully) and the furthest I've gotten with them is getting linux to boot.

I hear if you stick in a 9600's rom you can get it to boot mac OS, but it would disable the scsi controllers and probably some other things too.

As for g3 upgrading, I have no idea. I'd assume the ANS ROM wouldn't work with the upgrade... and with the 9600 ROM... i don't know. Anyhow it might work I have no idea.

Back when I had linux running on it I had no idea how to use it... but now that I know more about running it I'm going to try again. Use the ANS as a server or something. And as for a gateway, the ANS can do it for sure! You need like a 486 for a gateway.... the original Airport was just a 486...
sine -''-..-

now known as pillowcase

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
May 16, 2005, 11:13 AM

I always thought those were some of the coolest "Macs" that ever came out with the build in drive tower and everything.

Was that a hardware RAID?

Speaking of which, is it a 8600/9600 enclosure on the inside? How about sticking in a Beige G3 motherboard?
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Forum Links
Forum Rules