Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Give me a 30" + iMac

Give me a 30" + iMac
chme6583
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 13, 2005, 04:35 PM

Include a TV tuner and call it good.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 13, 2005, 08:16 PM

No.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2005, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Eriamjh
No.
Agreed.
Linkinus is king.

trevorM
Forum Regular
Oct 13, 2005, 10:56 PM

umh yeah. No I don't think so. Silly!
Apple Powermac G5: Dual 1.85GHz | 80Gb System | 3Gb Ram | GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL | BT | Airport | Apple 30" Cinema HD Display Apple Powerbook AL G4: 12" | 1.5Ghz | 60b System | 1.25Gb Ram | Airport | BT Other: Airport Express | Airport Extreme | TiG4 PB 800Mhz | 20" iMac G5 w/ built in iSight | Swivel Screen iMac G4 800Mhz | iPod Mini | iPod Nano | Maxtor One Touch 250GB | Sony Ericsson T630

d0ubled0wn
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 13, 2005, 11:55 PM

Ok how about a 23" iMac in metal. It could be the power user's iMac. The extra space could allow for better video like the x800 or 6800. Base price, $2499. Would you buy one?

trevorM
Forum Regular
Oct 14, 2005, 12:00 AM

I dont think that would work. It gets in the way of the PM. The iMac is for a certain category and if it is not enough for a user then the step up is the G5 and whatever screen, ram, vid card, storage and alike.... I think the range of iMacs is fine for the target market...
Apple Powermac G5: Dual 1.85GHz | 80Gb System | 3Gb Ram | GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL | BT | Airport | Apple 30" Cinema HD Display Apple Powerbook AL G4: 12" | 1.5Ghz | 60b System | 1.25Gb Ram | Airport | BT Other: Airport Express | Airport Extreme | TiG4 PB 800Mhz | 20" iMac G5 w/ built in iSight | Swivel Screen iMac G4 800Mhz | iPod Mini | iPod Nano | Maxtor One Touch 250GB | Sony Ericsson T630

Paco Loco
Forum Regular
Oct 14, 2005, 06:15 AM

Apple are not trying to replace your TV. The sooner people realise that and deal with it the better.

chme6583  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 14, 2005, 11:25 AM

I think Apple is seeking to replace our TVs, just like Microsoft. Apple and Microsoft are not stupid and realize computers need to be in every aspect of everyone's life. Apple wants computers in the living room, the office, the den, the bedrooms, the cars, the bathrooms, etc. (you get the point). I'm not saying the want to replace the TV today, but in the future that is their game plan.

Paco Loco
Forum Regular
Oct 14, 2005, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by chme6583
I'm not saying the want to replace the TV today, but in the future that is their game plan.
Agreed. I think that Apple making a blatant play for the living room is still some way off though, i'm talking years not months.

chme6583  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 14, 2005, 11:39 AM

Of course, years...maybe 10 +. This is just the beginning.

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2005, 12:22 PM

The new iMac is really a good idea, but think about it.

If you were to put an iMac in the living room for use with Front Row, it wouldn't be very useable as an actual computer. Well, I guess you could have a desk in the living room, and then a TV as well. But most people are going to put their iMac on a computer desk in their room.

What I'm trying to say is, the Mac Mini would benefit the most from Front Row software, mainly because it's a cheap way to get a media entertainment system in your living room. This about it: A $499 computer hooked up to an HDTV that you can control with a remote. Get a bluetooth keyboard and mouse and you're set.

The iMac doesn't make a good media entertainment computer.

havocidal
Oct 23, 2005, 07:24 AM

actually u can still use the computer with a wireless keyboard and mouse... or the bluetooth wacom tablet (=

italiano
Forum Regular
Oct 23, 2005, 07:28 AM

I use a 50" DLP HD TV for my TV viewing and also DVD watching - I use my Imac for a computer.
Visit us on the web @ strangedogs.com for FREE SPEECH and Video Card Flashing.

Forum Links
Forum Rules