Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > iBook dead? -_-*

iBook dead? -_-*
sine -''-..-
Grizzled Veteran
Location: meow meow meow meow, meow meow meow meow, meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meo
Dec 1, 2005, 05:22 PM

Howdy,

So yesterday I tipped a cup of tea onto my ibook g4.

At first it didnt seem like any went into the machine... I just wiped off what was visible on the top cover area and under the keyboard. I let it sit a while to dry... and then tried to power it up.

No chime
hard disk spins up
cooling fan spins up
No screen

So.... I opened her up and found more tea inside... sadly. I cleaned it up a bit more... tried power--same thing.

I thought maybe it needs some sort of reset. Becase when I spilled the tea, I immediately flipped the book over to keep the liquid from making its way inside, and I also removed the battery.

So I'm thinking maybe the power manager needs a reset or something... or the PRAM... but because there isnt even a chime... ?

Anyone seen that before? no chime and then the fan spinning?

I think I'll be needing a new logic board, and keyboard for that matter.
sine -''-..-

now known as pillowcase

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Dec 1, 2005, 07:19 PM

I'm sorry.
Linkinus is king.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 1, 2005, 07:46 PM

Put the iBook in a warm dry place for a couple of days upside down, if possible, dismantle it completely and let each individual component dry out.

Try giving the logic board a wipe over with water to get rid of any stickyness.

When testing, just connect the hard drive, cd-rom, fan etc but leave the screen and keyboard disconnected.

I'm thinking maybe the screen cables are damp or the keyboard is shorting out so trial and error may help but other than that it seems like it may be in iBook heaven.

Good Luck,

Sean

sine -''-..-  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Location: meow meow meow meow, meow meow meow meow, meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meo
Dec 2, 2005, 02:43 PM

*cries*

ah well...

What I'm gonna try is some rubbing alcohol and canned air. Just wash it down with the alcohol and blow it off... if that dosent work... maybe I'll be parting it out :/
sine -''-..-

now known as pillowcase

sine -''-..-  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 2, 2005, 02:44 PM

*cries*

ah well...

What I'm gonna try is some rubbing alcohol and canned air. Just wash it down with the alcohol and blow it off... if that dosent work... maybe I'll be parting it out :/
sine -''-..-

now known as pillowcase

sine -''-..-  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 2, 2005, 02:46 PM

*cries*

ah well...

sine -''-..-

now known as pillowcase

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 3, 2005, 02:29 PM

Any news?

sine -''-..-  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 12, 2005, 05:34 PM

news:

so i had my book all in parts in boxes sitting in my room... it was a sad week. my last shot was to try cleaning the mobo. so i got a bottle of rubbing alcohol, and i took the board to the bathtub and doused it with the alcohol. then i blew on it with my breath.

and holding my mobo there... i realized how much i loved my ibook. and i said "ibook... you cant die on me! i love you ibook!" and then i kissed its big black chipset chip. and then i let it sit and dry off.

two days later, i tried giving power, screen etc... and she worked! my ibook is alive!

i just finished putting it back together just now... w00
sine -''-..-

now known as pillowcase

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 12, 2005, 05:43 PM

Yay!

dreamryche
Forum Regular
Dec 13, 2005, 01:14 AM

Excellent!!

sine -''-..-  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 17, 2005, 01:18 AM

Yea so an update: my baby's been ticking away beautifully and is back in my crumpler sheep scarer.

I'm so so so happy that she's back - else I would have had to save up for a _long_ while to buy her a new mobo.

<3 ibook

-pillowcase
sine -''-..-

now known as pillowcase

Forum Links
Forum Rules