Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Installing Linux on ipod Connected to iBook

Installing Linux on ipod Connected to iBook
JoshKurtz
Forum Regular
Dec 28, 2005, 05:05 PM

I'm trying to install Kubuntu on a 2nd gen 10GB ipod connected to a 12" 800MHz G3 iBook with 640MB ram. I don't feel like wiping my ibook's internal drive since I've got Tiger pretty much set how I like it but I'd like to be able to run a ppc linux when I get the urge.
The installer sees the ipod and installs the system to it. When it gets time to load yaboot, it fails and tells me to use the /boot/vmlinux kernel on /dev/sda3 with root=/dev/sda3 as kernel argument. I'd like the ease of a bootloader but if it's not possible I wouldn't mind booting from the Kubuntu cd and passing off these boot parameters but I can't seem to do that either.
I can boot the Kubuntu cd into restore, open a shell, and view my root filesystem with the ls command so it's there, I just can't boot to it.
Does anyone have any way I can run Kubuntu from my ipod? I've been googling it with no luck.
iMac 17" 2GHz Core2Duo | 1GB RAM | 160GB hdd | Superdrive | Tiger and XP Pro

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 28, 2005, 10:56 PM

Wrong forum, and try doing a google search.

JoshKurtz  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 29, 2005, 12:02 AM

I did a google search but I didn't find that. Thanks for the link. It seems to be what I need.
I wasn't sure this was the right forum but since it's a question about my iBook I thought I might give it a go.
( Last edited by JoshKurtz; Dec 29, 2005 at 12:16 AM. )

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 29, 2005, 12:27 AM

It's a question about running Linux on your iPod, not about your iBook.

JoshKurtz  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 29, 2005, 12:35 AM

I didn't see an ipod forum so I put it here. Which forum would you suggest I post it in?

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Dec 29, 2005, 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by wataru
It's a question about running Linux on your iPod, not about your iBook.
No, he's asking about how to install Kubuntu (KDE Ubuntu distribution), but rather than partitioning his iBook's hard drive and risking data loss (we all know how reliable Linux tools are :-/), he wants to use his iPod as an external hard drive from which he can boot Linux on the iBook.

As for the question ... no, I don't know how to do it, as I would never bother with Linux on my wonderful Mini and iBook. Linux is such garbage, and after using OS X, that opinion has only been reinforced.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 29, 2005, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by JoshKurtz
I didn't see an ipod forum so I put it here
Look harder.

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Dec 29, 2005, 08:40 AM

Wataru stop being such an arse, your the idiot who doesnt know what hes talking about, JoshKurtz is using his iPod as if it were an external drive, hes not trying the ipod linux hack.

But sorry, JoshKurtz, I cant help you here, just thought I'd have a go at wataru for being a ****
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 29, 2005, 09:10 AM

The title of the thread should say something about the iBook, or a lot of people will think it's all about the iPod. I have changed it but in the future, Josh, pay close attention to where you post things. Without some sort of organization here, nobody would be able to find anything.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

JoshKurtz  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 29, 2005, 10:25 AM

Thanks for changing it ghporter. And thanks for being cool.

BTW, wataru, what's up? I appreciate the help but no need for being such a jerk about it. Sorry I don't have 6557 posts and know every nook and crannie of this site. I figured that the iBook forum was as good a place as any to post this in.
You're such a cool guy for answering my questions and putting me down in the same sentence. Way to make a guy feel welcome.

And thanks for the backup harrisjameih. If I'm ever in the UK I'll buy you a beer.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 29, 2005, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by harrisjamieh
Wataru stop being such an arse, your the idiot who doesnt know what hes talking about, JoshKurtz is using his iPod as if it were an external drive, hes not trying the ipod linux hack.

But sorry, JoshKurtz, I cant help you here, just thought I'd have a go at wataru for being a ****
No, I understand exactly what he's trying to do. Yes, the wording of my post was misleading since you can also run Linux on the iPod instead of the iPod OS. But that doesn't change the fact that none of this has to do with his iBook.

Originally Posted by JoshKurtz
BTW, wataru, what's up? I appreciate the help but no need for being such a jerk about it. Sorry I don't have 6557 posts and know every nook and crannie of this site. I figured that the iBook forum was as good a place as any to post this in.
You're such a cool guy for answering my questions and putting me down in the same sentence. Way to make a guy feel welcome.
What's up is that you clearly didn't even bother looking around the forums or doing a basic search before posting. You managed to find the iBook forum, but you didn't see the iPod forum? You did a Google search, but you didn't find the result that I found in about 10 seconds?

And it's not you in particular, but it seems that the machine-specific forums are magnets for clueless people who don't understand the difference between a machine-related issue and something entirely independent of their particular hardware. "I have a question about iTunes, but since I'm running it on an iBook, I'll post in the iBook forum." Sound silly? Now replace "iTunes" with "running Linux from my iPod" and you've got your situation.

And to ghporter: Changing the thread title doesn't change the fact that this still has nothing to do with his iBook.
( Last edited by wataru; Dec 29, 2005 at 11:55 PM. )

JoshKurtz  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 30, 2005, 01:01 AM

I googled and didn't find what you did. I did look around different forums but didn't find what I needed. I'm not going to spend 20 or 30 minutes scouring the internet for something that's a little obscure in the first place, I'm going to post on a forum where maybe someone has had experience with the issue. Maybe someone googles it with a few different parameters than I used and finds what I couldn't. Does that make me clueless or mean I didn't bother looking? Not hardly.
Admittedly, I overlooked the ipod section but the iBook forum is a good enough place. Someone could argue that it's not an ipod issue but an external hard drive so it belongs in the Peripherals section. Any way you look at it, the iBook forum is fine. And your example about iTunes doesn't really the work since iTunes is easily identifiable as an application and my post is more of an in-between grey area in that it could go a couple places.
Googling and forum choosing skills aside, you really acted like a jerk in your replies. But I do appreciate you taking time away from solving problems like world hunger, war and other important things to help a peon like me with my iBook. I mean, iPod. I mean external hard drive... or am I just trying to install Linux? Oh wataru, your clever replies have confused me to no end. I don't even know what forum I'm in anymore.

JoshKurtz  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 30, 2005, 01:01 AM

Sorry for the triple post. Safari lost network connection but apparently the post got through three times.

JoshKurtz  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 30, 2005, 01:02 AM

See above.

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Dec 30, 2005, 08:31 AM

wataru, shut the f**k up! This guy is trying to get some help, and all you can do is bicker! This topic IS TO DO WITH HIS iBOOK! Imagine he didnt say ipod, but said external drive instead - would that make it to do with his iBook or his external drive? HIS IBOOK is the answer! So stop being so up your own arse. If you took the time to search for the topic - which you obviously did as you said "but you didn't find the result that I found in about 10 seconds?" , why on earth couldnt you have stopped having a go at this poor chap and just given him a link to this information you say you found in 10 seconds - it would actually take less time out of your life to do that than to bicker and bicker about wrong forums (which it is not).

Again, sorry dude that asked the question in the first place, i dont know the answer to your question, but I just think it is unfair that you ask for help, and get a banter from HIM.
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

JoshKurtz  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 30, 2005, 10:03 AM

Thanks harrisjamieh.

sine -''-..-
Grizzled Veteran
Location: meow meow meow meow, meow meow meow meow, meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meo
Dec 30, 2005, 01:24 PM

wataru,

you can leave the moderating to the moderators

If you have a concern with a post - just hit the "report abuse" thingy... Someone will transfer the thread to the appropriate forum.

In this case, though... Its in the right place.
sine -''-..-

now known as pillowcase

Forum Links
Forum Rules