Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > G3 ibook optical drive upgrade problem

G3 ibook optical drive upgrade problem
tomdowler
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 2, 2006, 11:29 AM

I have an iBook G3 700 Mhz (Dual USB), which previously contained a plain tray load cd-rom as standard. I recently purchased a slot load combo drive (Matsushita CW-8123) and I have now installed it, however my iBook does not recognise it. When I boot it seems power is getting to the combo drive as it makes startup-sounding noises. System profiler does not show the drive as existing.

I *think* from what I’ve read elsewhere that this is a master/slave issue. The drive came from a powerbook that had 2 IDE channels and is therefore ‘hard-wired’ in master mode. The iBook, however only has one channel and the hard drive’s already set as master.
There seems no easy way to put the drive into slave mode (no switch/jumper, for example).

So my options seem to be either to find a way to make the combo drive slave or leave the combo as master and whack a jumper pin on the hard drive to make it slave.

So my two questions are:
a) anyone know how to make the CW-8123 the slave
b) will I have any boot problems (OS 10.2.8) with the hard drive as slave?

Thanks
Tom

sine -''-..-
Grizzled Veteran
Location: meow meow meow meow, meow meow meow meow, meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meo
Feb 3, 2006, 02:24 AM

one thing that i found with laptop optical drives is that some are wired as Master/Slave... (I think it'll say like M/S or something on the label) and some say CS which is "cable select" -- I had a problem with a toshiba laptop - where I tried to use a M/S drive when the original was CS... But when I found a CS drive it worked fine.

My thought...
sine -''-..-

now known as pillowcase

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Feb 12, 2006, 06:01 PM

You may experience some issues with the HD as slave, if only because it will be on the wrong end of the cable so to speak. It may not matter at all however.
If you open the combo drive up, you may find a switch in it to toggle master/slave. Not all have it, but it is cheaper than manufacturing two different versions of the drive.

Forum Links
Forum Rules