Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Does a USB hub kill a USB2 device?

Does a USB hub kill a USB2 device?
Neub Detat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 6, 2006, 10:01 AM

hi probably a basic question- does using a USB hub ($20 version from staples) slow the speed of a USB2 hard drive?

thanks, cs

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 6, 2006, 01:49 PM

1. It will probably only affect the speed if you have lots of other devices running.
2. Your title is misleading.
3. This is about a peripheral(s) and should be in that forum.

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 6, 2006, 05:46 PM

A USB 1.1 hub has a high probablility of slowing down everything you plug into it because it's not built for the speeds USB 2.0 devices work at.

Further, Sean is right; networking doesn't have anything to do with USB (except for the poor unfortunates who are saddled with a broadband modem that only connects to their computer via USB). So I'm moving the thread to Peripherals where it belongs.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 6, 2006, 06:30 PM

I think the OP may be using "USB hub" as a generic term.

Look for a hub that says "USB 2.0 high-speed" on the box. If it only says "USB 2.0" or "USB 2.0 full-speed" then it will degrade the performance of your hard drive significantly.

Leopard Employee
Apr 8, 2006, 02:18 AM

Sounds like you have picked up a slower USB hub either 1.1 or non high speed. My advice would be for the short term juggle the ports around so that your HD plugs straight into your machine (I find the fewer connections you have the better for these things) then use the hub for the devices which don't need the high data transfer rate mouse, keybord etc.

Longer term if you need to use the hub for the HD I think you might need to change the hub

Hope you kept the reciept

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

15" PowerBook G4

john h
Apr 14, 2006, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by seanc
1. It will probably only affect the speed if you have lots of other devices running.
2. Your title is misleading.
3. This is about a peripheral(s) and should be in that forum.
I think I remember reading if you have any USB 1.0 device on the hub it will slow down any USB 2.0 device on the same hub. I see USB 2.0 cords and hubs advertised. I do not know if that means they are special hubs and cords or just an advertising gimmick.

john h
Apr 14, 2006, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by cs2i
hi probably a basic question- does using a USB hub ($20 version from staples) slow the speed of a USB2 hard drive?

thanks, cs
I have this Hub. It is a Belkin 7 port 2.0 Hub with 2 neat connections on top. On sale at the moment.

[email protected] from Rochester, NY  rated this item 5 of 5
elegant and convenient design and works just as we
When I first started using this hub it was acting strange and erratically, but then I noticed that the power cord wasn't plugged in fully. Needless to say, that didn't affect how much i like it. Once i plugged it in right it worked like a charm. I had 4 USB 2 flash drives plugged in at the same time with no problems, in addition to three other devices. Unlike some USB 2 hubs on the market, you can plug in any combination of low, full, and hi-speed devices with each device running at its required speed. The two ports on to pare really nice for plugging in flash drives and other temporary devices. If you need to, you can even get two and stack one on the other, with all 4 top-ports accessible. And aside from all of this, it looks cool.

hookem2oo7
Senior User
Apr 14, 2006, 08:47 PM

i was told the USB 2 "special" cords have better shielding to help out with the high speed xfers...

Forum Links
Forum Rules