Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Mac Mini - no more...

Mac Mini - no more...
dpc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 21, 2008, 01:38 PM

At least this is what Gizmodo has to say:

http://gizmodo.com/5066531/apple-sto...expect-no-more

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 21, 2008, 01:47 PM

I'll believe it when I hear it from Apple's own PR.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 21, 2008, 01:49 PM

Yeah, I have a few comments, but there's no point if this is just another incorrect guess.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Oct 21, 2008, 02:15 PM

Poor mini. Under appreciated from the first to the last. It is/was a great machine. OK so it could have stood to be a bit cheaper, but it was always a solid performer and the form factor was great. IMHO most designers (apart from video and 3d professionals) would have been just as well off using mini's as Mac Pro's. Mind you when the MP went Octo the performance gap went pretty wide.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Oct 21, 2008, 02:38 PM

It was a great idea but poorly executed.

I had one but it was so under powered that it was just sitting on my desk collecting dust. I was toying with the idea of buying a cheap mini to back up my MBP. I cannot believe apple has been selling to many of these lately because the hardware is so long in the tooth.
~Mike

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 21, 2008, 06:50 PM

I really wish Apple would tell us what's going on with the Mini. My brother really really wants to buy a new Mini, but doesn't want to be the guy who buys one and then a new one comes out soon after (I know about the limited exchange policy, but still). Its been an eternity since an update, and now the rumors are flying that it might be dead altogether.

Hey Apple, hows about filling us in on your plans for the mini. At least say its dead or its not dead!

Andy8
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2008, 07:21 PM

I do hope Apple has a replacement for the mini is some form factor.

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Oct 22, 2008, 01:26 AM

Such rumors have shown up repeatedly, and this time it could become a fact.

Are you sorry?

I must say, I'd like a Mac Pro alternative, so I can spend more on a display, but the mini was just too weak, and its GPU was part of the mother board.

It was just too small to be good (not that I say it wasn't cute).

So maybe we'll see something cute AND fast.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Oct 23, 2008, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Doc HM View Post
Poor mini. Under appreciated from the first to the last. It is/was a great machine. OK so it could have stood to be a bit cheaper, but it was always a solid performer and the form factor was great. IMHO most designers (apart from video and 3d professionals) would have been just as well off using mini's as Mac Pro's. Mind you when the MP went Octo the performance gap went pretty wide.
Compared to a Shuttle PC and any other micro-ATX computer of similar size, they were very price competitive.

BTW: Apostrophes aren't used for plural words.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

dfbennett
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 23, 2008, 05:41 PM

I was going to get a mini but after adding in the cost of a good monitor (since all I had was an old CRT) and comparing the specs, the cheapest iMac was a much better deal. Too bad, the form factor of the mini is very cool.
Regards,
Dave

macforray
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 23, 2008, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by Veltliner View Post
Such rumors have shown up repeatedly, and this time it could become a fact.

Are you sorry?

I must say, I'd like a Mac Pro alternative, so I can spend more on a display, but the mini was just too weak, and its GPU was part of the mother board.

It was just too small to be good (not that I say it wasn't cute).

So maybe we'll see something cute AND fast.
I would be. I love the format. As far as too weak, well I'm still using my G4 1.42 every day. I bought it in August of 2005 and it is my first Mac. The only thing I've done is max the ram out to 1 gig about a year ago. If it were not for the price and form factor, I likely would still be using a Windoze machine.

The new Intel Mini (both 1.83 and 2.0) must "scream" compared to mine. Either, with maxed out ram, would be more than adequate for my daily needs. I do admit that if I am running more than two or three applications at the same time, or one with very heavy graphics, I do get the "spinning beachball" for a minute or two.

If Steve and Company do decide to kill it, I hope they offer another low to mid range headless Mac that MUST be less than $800.

Some have stated that the sales of the Mini has been less than expected / desired by Apple. I wonder how many of those are being sold to first time Mac converts like myself. With $25 billion in the bank, I think Apple should be able to still offer the Mini (or something similar) just for marketing to those on the fence trying to decide whether to switch or not. Once switched, unless Apple really screws up on future products, most will stay. That, and making more money on repeat sales, is the goal I would think.

Well, there are refurb 20" iMacs ayt $999. More than I wish to spend when I am ready for an upgrade, but it will still be a Mac.
macforray

Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 24, 2008, 03:12 AM

The mini has been EOL'ed eh?

Haven't we been here before? Twice actually IIRC.

DarkStarRed
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 24, 2008, 03:53 AM

I think your all jumping the gun here! I haven't followed the Mac Mini developments but here's more rumours
http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...ll_kickin.html
So who knows what's really going to happen I for one would love to see it stick around.

dimmer
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 24, 2008, 07:14 PM

Given that we're heading into a massive economic crisis it wouldn't make sense for Apple to dispose of their most affordable product -- especially as the AppleTV is basically a derivative product, and heck knows Apple isn't going to piss away all the work they've done in getting iTunes movies and TV shows available.

If anything, I can see the two lines being integrated into one. So the "new" MacMini may well also be the "new" AppleTV and be the upgrade path for both.

efithian
Oct 24, 2008, 07:55 PM

If you look around the net you will see the rumors about the upcoming new mini. It will have displayport for use with the new 24" LCD, SATA dvd drive, 4gb ram capability, 2/2.4gb processor and the new Nvidia graphics 9400M. In other works, a screenless MacBook, just like before. I'll buy one in a minute.

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2008, 08:58 PM

I'd like a new machine that is to the Mac Pro what the Mac Book is to the Mac Book Pro.

Mac Book Pro : Mac Book = Mac Pro : x

I guess that would make the new computer's name be "Mac".

And a pretty good performer, even if not as high end as a Mac Pro.

Good for those who'd like to choose their screen a la carte.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 25, 2008, 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by dimmer View Post
Given that we're heading into a massive economic crisis it wouldn't make sense for Apple to dispose of their most affordable product -- especially as the AppleTV is basically a derivative product, and heck knows Apple isn't going to piss away all the work they've done in getting iTunes movies and TV shows available.
Internestingly eonough, Apple doesn't at all see ths economic crisis as a threat to their business. From the recent Q4 conference call:

Ben Reitzes - Barclays Capital:Thanks a lot. Steve, can you talk about the pricing of your Mac line right now and how you feel that is positioned going into this economy? And in particular as well, maybe your thoughts -- there’s this new NetBook category that’s getting a lot of hype and just where do you see that playing out in the marketplace and your position in the market there?

Steven P. Jobs:
Well, again this particular downturn is not creating a market of cheaper computers. That market has existed for some time and there are parts of that market that we choose not to play in.

I think when people want a product of the class that we make, over and over again people have done the price comparisons and we’re actually quite competitive. So we choose to be in certain segments of the market and we choose not to be in certain segments of the market. And the question is is the downturn going to drive some of our customers to those lower segments of the marketplace and get to buy lesser products? And I will be surprised if that happens in large numbers and I actually think that there are still a tremendous number of customers that we don’t have in the Windows world or in the other 99% of the phone market we don’t have who would like to and can afford to buy Apple products. So we’ll see what the ratio of those two things are but we’re not tremendously worried.

As we look at the NetBook category, that’s a nascent category. There’s as best as we can tell not a lot of them getting sold. You know, one of our entrants into that category, if you will, is the iPhone for browsing the Internet and doing e-mail and all the other things that a NetBook lets you do, and being connected via the cellular net wherever you are, an iPhone is a pretty good solution for that, and it fits in your pocket. But we’ll wait and see how that nascent category evolves and we’ve got some pretty

More here.

dimmer
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2008, 04:36 PM

So we choose to be in certain segments of the market

And, of course, the MacMini is one segment where Apple does choose to be in. No indication of any desire to get out of that segment, but clearly don't look for a Mac Netbook or Tablet Mac anytime soon.

Be interesting to see what comes out of this.

freudling
Banned
Oct 27, 2008, 04:15 PM

I ordered a Mini last week on the news that things may come to an end. Even if they upgrade them, I don't care much, I am just using it as a server anyway, and the 1.83 C2 Duo is pretty good for that.

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2008, 03:31 AM

I just read today that Apple decided not to bring out any upgraded minis.

But that means there may be another mini coming after Christmas.

Sorry, no link. Found it on a non-English website.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Nov 10, 2008, 04:04 AM

I would be very cautious of all these mini rumors.

First the mini was gonna be EOL'ed. Then it was here to stay. Then it was going to EOL'ed again. Then there was going to be an update last week. Then there were going to be no more updates before Xmas. And now there's gonna be a new mini after Xmas. Riiiiiiight.

Fact is nobody outside of Apple has any real information. It will happen when it happens.

Andrew Stephens
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2008, 09:33 AM

perhaps Apple just use it as a dumping ground for employees that screw up. They all get transferred to the Mac mini group. Perhaps they should band together and run a pirate flag up the old flag pole.

chichow
Forum Regular
Nov 10, 2008, 04:23 PM

@myhome
first to go was the older ibooks...then the G4 DPP was let go....

leaving me with only a Macbook Air as my sole mac.

Now I have nothing to VNC to at home or to act as a server.

I've been asking Simon forever on when the mac mini was going to be updated.

I am resigned as Simon has stated:

When it happens it happens.

I hate being a rev A guy but I will do it with the Mac mini

Simon
Posting Junkie
Nov 10, 2008, 04:41 PM

Unfortunately there are just absolutely no new credible rumors. If anybody knew anything substantial it would be all over the rumor sites. But the Mac mini is on Apple's back burner. It wouldn't be surprising to see it refreshed w/o any prior rumors at all. We'll just have to hold out finger crossed.

moep
Senior User
Nov 10, 2008, 06:04 PM

A refresh at MWSF ’09 would make sense. Maybe with new Cinema Displays even.
We’ll have to wait and see.
"The road to success is dotted with the most tempting parking spaces."

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2008, 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by andrew stephens View Post
perhaps apple just use it as a dumping ground for employees that screw up. They all get transferred to the mac mini group. Perhaps they should band together and run a pirate flag up the old flag pole.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Nov 11, 2008, 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by moep View Post
A refresh at MWSF ’09 would make sense. Maybe with new Cinema Displays even.
We’ll have to wait and see.
I would find that a very prominent venue to introduce a new Mac mini. The last updates were usually very quiet. But of course if they plan on heavily spicing it up, that might just be suitable.

chichow
Forum Regular
Nov 11, 2008, 11:15 AM

if it is MWSF 09?

err...how long is it after an announcement that a product begins shipping? Sorry I don't remember.

In the meantime I am putting the other pieces in place (e.g. bought a NAS with the intent that the mini will be a nice media front end)

Simon
Posting Junkie
Nov 11, 2008, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by chichow View Post
err...how long is it after an announcement that a product begins shipping? Sorry I don't remember.
That depends entirely on the product. Sometimes immediately, sometimes longer. The unibody MBP for example shipped more or less the day after the announcement. The in-ear headphones OTOH are still not shipping.

chichow
Forum Regular
Nov 16, 2008, 12:51 AM

since the mac mini is/was a macbook equiv. on a desktop would it be fair to say that the new mac mini would NOT have firewire?

reason i ask is that I STILL hold on to an external isight. Of course its firewire.

Well if its pretty safe to say that there is no more firewire in the mac consumer market, then i'll put the isight in marketplace.

thoughts?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Nov 16, 2008, 04:51 AM

We really know nothing about what the new Mac mini will come with. But we know that on the new portables Apple has left FW only on the pro device. The mini isn't such a Mac. And as you correctly point out the Mac mini was always closely related to the MB. But there are two types of MB chipsets being sold right now one of which comes with FW. It's not entirely certain a new Mac mini would have the 9400M G chipset. But it is likely.

That said, on the Mac mini Apple might face less space constraints than on the MB. If they have extra space left for FW, IOW if they don't have to enlarge the Mac mini case just to be able to add FW, it woud then be merely a cost issue if they add it or not.

My guess is an updated Mac mini in the current form factor will not have FW. But that's just my guess.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Nov 26, 2008, 08:40 AM

So with Apple stating a while ago that no more updates to the macintosh products are in line for 2008 what are the odds that it will get refreshed, or killed off?

I'm toying with the idea of picking one up cheap if they are discounted on black friday and/or picking up a refurb. If the odds are high that apple will update the mini then I can wait. Its not a need but rather a want. Having a backup machine would be nice, plus setting it up as a file server and/or a machine to play with so I don't whack my main machine will be nice as well.
~Mike

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 26, 2008, 09:13 AM

There are about 5 weeks left in 2008. Why does "no more Mac updates this year" say "we're killing the Mini" to you? I don't understand the logic at all. What am I missing?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Nov 26, 2008, 09:32 AM

Let me rephrase my question.
there were various rumors going around that apple was killing off the mini. They neither confirmed nor denied that rumor. A short while ago an apple rep released a statement saying that Apple is done updating their macintosh line for 2008. They did not address the possible EOL of the mini. People were speculating that the mini could (if not killed off) be updated and also the iMac was due for an update as well.

so basically I mentioned two things, one is that apple is not updating any more mac products in 2008 and rumors were swirling about the possible demise of the mini.

With that said I'm wondering what the concensus of the mini is. Will it get updated in 2009, killed off or would I be better suited to picking one up now if the price was right. Since its not a need, I can wait but if the odds are high that apple is going to kill it off then there's no need to wait.
~Mike

Simon
Posting Junkie
Nov 26, 2008, 09:42 AM

We don't know anything about the mini. And there are already several threads on it. The latest one's here.

No new Macs before January means exactly that. That statement was likely geared at the iMac. It has nothing special to do with the mini.

The Mac mini is just a mystery product. No rumors. No hunches. We won't know what Apple's plans for it are until they tell us.

Northeastern292
Forum Regular
Nov 26, 2008, 06:14 PM

Apple is going to get backlash on this move if they kill the mini. Apple needs to start selling low cost machines, because that is what PC users are used to. Again, I hate to bash Steve Jobs here, but he must not understand that no one has $2000 to shell out on a new computer every year or so. I'm on my second year with my MacBook Pro.

And used Macs are still expensive compared to used PCs, but that could be a supply and demand deal. Rarely do you see a PC notebook that is three years old go for $1000 on eBay
The Mac Collection:

Power Mac G4 Sawtooth at 450MHz, Power Mac G4 Gigabit Ethernet at 400MHz, three Power Mac FW800's at 1.0GHz, MacBook Pro at 2.0GHz, my late father's G3 iMac at 350MHz, an iMac at 500MHz, a PowerBook G4 (12-inch VGA) and a PowerBook 170

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 26, 2008, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Maflynn View Post
Let me rephrase my question.
there were various rumors going around that apple was killing off the mini. They neither confirmed nor denied that rumor. A short while ago an apple rep released a statement saying that Apple is done updating their macintosh line for 2008. They did not address the possible EOL of the mini. People were speculating that the mini could (if not killed off) be updated and also the iMac was due for an update as well.

so basically I mentioned two things, one is that apple is not updating any more mac products in 2008 and rumors were swirling about the possible demise of the mini.

With that said I'm wondering what the concensus of the mini is. Will it get updated in 2009, killed off or would I be better suited to picking one up now if the price was right. Since its not a need, I can wait but if the odds are high that apple is going to kill it off then there's no need to wait.
That makes a lot more sense. Thanks for the clarification. I hope the Mini will be with us for quite a while, and that an update comes shortly after the first of the year. There are a number of areas it could use some tweaks, starting with video... I'm looking forward to hearing positive news about it.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Northeastern292
Forum Regular
Nov 26, 2008, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
That makes a lot more sense. Thanks for the clarification. I hope the Mini will be with us for quite a while, and that an update comes shortly after the first of the year. There are a number of areas it could use some tweaks, starting with video... I'm looking forward to hearing positive news about it.
I hate rumors, but someone mentioned that Apple is supposedly going to throw the GeForce 9400 (most likely the Mobile version) into the Mini, which does make sense. Apple does seem to really like the 9400.
The Mac Collection:

Power Mac G4 Sawtooth at 450MHz, Power Mac G4 Gigabit Ethernet at 400MHz, three Power Mac FW800's at 1.0GHz, MacBook Pro at 2.0GHz, my late father's G3 iMac at 350MHz, an iMac at 500MHz, a PowerBook G4 (12-inch VGA) and a PowerBook 170

Simon
Posting Junkie
Nov 27, 2008, 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by Northeastern292 View Post
I hate rumors, but someone mentioned that Apple is supposedly going to throw the GeForce 9400 (most likely the Mobile version) into the Mini, which does make sense. Apple does seem to really like the 9400.
I think this is more of a likely guess than a rumor. In the past Apple has used low-end mobile components on the Mac mini. Basically the mini's guts were very similar to those of an (outdated) MacBook.

Since Apple has now switched over the MB to the 9400M G chipset (the chipset from NVIDIA with the 9400M integrated GPU) it's a pretty sound guess that if they update the Mac mini in the next few months it will end up getting that. NVIDIA's chipset has a lower TDP than Intel's Cantiga. Also if Apple choses it due to the large purchase volume they can probably get it for less than if they used Intel's mobile chipset for just the Mac mini.

But as I already said, there are zero credible rumors. All we can do is speculate and wait. And personally, I wouldn't even expect an updated Mac mini at MWSF in January.

chichow
Forum Regular
Dec 16, 2008, 01:45 PM

more rumors for new release in Jan

"An “Apple corporate employee” tells Wired that the diminutive desktop has received a long overdue upgrade that’s to be revealed at the annual expo...."

more at the link:

http://digitaldaily.allthingsd.com/2...D_yahoo_ticker

Simon
Posting Junkie
Dec 19, 2008, 11:07 AM

OS X 10.5.6 mentions new iMacs and new Mac minis. Both will apparently come with the NVIDIA MCP79 chipset Apple is now using on the MBs.

Looks like MWSF could indeed finally bring new Mac minis.

http://www.macrumors.com/2008/12/19/...idia-chipsets/

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 19, 2008, 11:11 AM

That is good news.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 20, 2008, 12:28 AM

Mac mini - dying since 2005.

-t

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Dec 21, 2008, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Mac mini - dying since 2005.

-t
The mini, a hypochondriac?

bishopazrael
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 27, 2008, 01:34 PM

Can someone clarify for me... I just bought a mini on the 24th. If it does in fact get a bump at macworld, someone above said that there was a trade in policy? Should I return the mini and get it after Macworld?
Backups are like guns and condoms. It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 27, 2008, 11:11 PM

I'm not sure about "trade in" policy, and it probably depends on the store.

If I were you, I'd return it and wait it out.

-t

Westfoto
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 28, 2008, 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by bishopazrael View Post
Can someone clarify for me... I just bought a mini on the 24th. If it does in fact get a bump at macworld, someone above said that there was a trade in policy? Should I return the mini and get it after Macworld?
14 day exchange policy. Call the store about it.
( Last edited by Westfoto; Dec 28, 2008 at 01:19 AM. Reason: sp)
Mac Pro - 12 GB RAM - 30" & 23" Displays - 10.7.1
MacBook Pro - 2 GB RAM - 10.6.8
Airport Extreme • Canon iPF5000 • PIXMA Pro9000 • Xerox N2125

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 28, 2008, 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by Westfoto View Post
14 day exchange policy. Call the store about it.
At Apple Stores, I assume.

He didn't mention where he purchased the mini. If it was an other retailer, different rules apply.

-t

threestain
Mac Elite
Dec 28, 2008, 05:20 AM

So the consensus is hold on for a little while and see what happens in the next couple of months????

I'm trying to pick between the iMac 20" and the Mac Mini - I have all the gubbins needed, but my TiBook is certainly feeling the strain after 6 years! Currently the iMac is far and away the winner for not substantially more than the Mini, but hopefully with a refresh the playing field may be levelled...

Simon
Posting Junkie
Dec 28, 2008, 05:38 AM

Both the iMac and the Mac mini are expected to see an update at MWSF. With that event only a few days away, I wouldn't buy either one right now. Wait and see what happens at MWSF. You'll be making a more informed decision afterwards.

Forum Links
Forum Rules