Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Found imac G3 in garbage today!

Found imac G3 in garbage today!
nickwc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 24, 2009, 04:51 PM

Hi! I was lucky enough to find imac g3 today in my complex's garbage area. It had the keyboard and mouse but no power cord!! So I just brought it home and used a cord from a old monitor, viola! Now my question is this... Can I use a wireless dongle to connect to the internet? Because due to the g3 guide I cannot use a airport card.

Here are the specs:

iMac G3 (333 MHz)

The iMac G3 333 MHz was introduced on April 14, 1999. The only change to this iMac model is the processor speed.

Specifications
PowerPC G3 Processor 333 MHz (66 MHz bus)
Tray loading 24x CD-ROM
6 GB IDE Hard Disk Drive
32 MB of RAM (expandable to 384 MB)
6 MB of VRAM
Not compatible with AirPort cards
Ports: Ethernet, USB 1.1, 56k Modem, Stereo Audio In and Out

Software
The iMac 333 MHz shipped with Mac OS 8.5 along with AppleWorks.
The highest version of the Mac OS that is officially supported on the iMac is Mac OS X 10.3 "Panther".

Notes
This iMac is also known as Revision D, but it is referred to officially by Apple as the "iMac 333 MHz"

I want to install panther as well, but only if I can have it retrieve wifi some how. It is running os 8.6, so I will have to get os 9 first.

Thanks!
1.5Ghz G4 mac mini
80Gd HD
1gb RAM
64Mb VRAM
17" Envison EN7750
Wireless all around
30gb 3rd gen ipod

Cold Warrior
May 24, 2009, 05:00 PM

Not sure about USB ethernet dongles, but you could use an ethernet-wifi bridge. Linksys makes one, for example.

msuper69
Professional Poster
May 25, 2009, 04:09 AM

I can vouch for the Linksys WET-11. I've used it on the pre-Airport G3 iMacs like the one the OP found.

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 25, 2009, 04:14 AM

Any old AirPort Express will also bridge between the iMac's Ethernet port and your wireless network.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
May 29, 2009, 10:27 PM

linksys WET54g work fine too.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 8, 2009, 12:05 AM

That's an awesome find, I also have a 333 MHz iMac. I use it out in the garage.

Northeastern292
Forum Regular
Jun 8, 2009, 10:03 AM

I've never have been lucky enough to find a Mac like that in the garbage, although I did find a Beige G3 in the garbage once at a local computer recycling day before I moved to Northern NY in 2006. It was a slick little thing too.

An even cooler find (at least in my opinion) was finding a Dell Optiplex GX150 that was working. I installed a fresh copy of XP Professional, and sold it for $50 (the licensed was transferred off another Dell).
The Mac Collection:

Power Mac G4 Sawtooth at 450MHz, Power Mac G4 Gigabit Ethernet at 400MHz, three Power Mac FW800's at 1.0GHz, MacBook Pro at 2.0GHz, my late father's G3 iMac at 350MHz, an iMac at 500MHz, a PowerBook G4 (12-inch VGA) and a PowerBook 170

LEStudios
Banned
Jun 12, 2009, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Northeastern292 View Post
I've never have been lucky enough to find a Mac like that in the garbage, although I did find a Beige G3 in the garbage once at a local computer recycling day before I moved to Northern NY in 2006. It was a slick little thing too.

An even cooler find (at least in my opinion) was finding a Dell Optiplex GX150 that was working. I installed a fresh copy of XP Professional, and sold it for $50 (the licensed was transferred off another Dell).
Yeah you put it back when you realize you can't put Snow Leopard on it or spend money to upgrade it then have to buy external DVD Drive to install Leopard. By the time you finish you could have bought a Mac mini $599

Forum Links
Forum Rules