Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > .Mac.Music?

.Mac.Music?
webintosh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 16, 2002, 01:18 AM

All this talk about for-pay iTools services got me thinking.

There's a hodgepodge of different music subscription services out there. Very few are based on open standards (restrictions with burning, copying, etc.). Very few work on a Mac.

Jobs has said that Apple would like to tow the middle line between promoting music piracy and restricting music usage by its customers.

An Apple-branded music service. Wouldn't surprise me...

Chaaaosss
Forum Regular
Jul 16, 2002, 02:25 AM

That's a very, very, very intelligent thought. Extremely intelligent.

esc
Jul 16, 2002, 05:18 AM

It is one of the few things I could think of that would have me paying $100 a year for a service...

ls -al
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 16, 2002, 07:25 AM

Have you guys seen http;//www.emusic.com/ They have over 200,000 songs (17,000 albums) for download. All in MP3 format. This is the bulk of the Universal's portfolio! They've got some rare albums that haven't been reissued in a long time.

This is great if you are into Jazz! There's tons of Miles, Coltrane, Bill Evans and other cats.

I'd like to see this integrated into iTunes 3.0!!

scottiB
Professional Poster
Jul 16, 2002, 08:04 AM

emusic.com rocks--well worth the $10/month
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

Toyin
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2002, 09:13 AM

The music idea is brilliant. I would be very, very psyched to give my cash to Apple for quality music downloads. This is what Napster should have done years ago.

In the meantime I'll have to take a look at this emusic.
-Toyin
13" MBA 1.8ghz i7
"It's all about the rims that ya got, and the rims that ya coulda had"
S.T. 1995

webintosh  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 16, 2002, 09:31 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by ls -al:
<strong>Have you guys seen http;//www.emusic.com/ They have over 200,000 songs (17,000 albums) for download. All in MP3 format. This is the bulk of the Universal's portfolio! They've got some rare albums that haven't been reissued in a long time.
</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">I signed up for a 14-day trial last week and I was pretty impressed with the selection you get. They have the right idea. Flat monthly fee, standard MP3s, easy UI, etc. Still, with their catalog confined to a few labels, this is not a mass market product.

scottiB
Professional Poster
Jul 16, 2002, 10:41 AM

I was thinking more of webintosh's idea as I drove to the office: brilliant.

Considering all that's happening with the "Consumer Broadband and Digital Television Promotion Act" (CBDTPA)--with Michael Eisner's Senate subcommittee testimony misappropriating Apple's "Rip. Mix. Burn." slogan--having Apple provide it's customers with music, a la emusic.com, is advantageous.

Aside: If this is true, I wonder if that's why Apple no longer includes 650 MB of mp3s preloaded on new Macs--at least my iBook/700 didn't include any.

To be successful, though, the content would need to be a tad more popular than emusic's (which, as approaching middle age, I don't mind ).

I'd pony up the $8.34 US per month.
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

Forum Links
Forum Rules